The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Your right near Kissing Bridge. Has there been any skiing there at all this year?

The hills look like there are a bunch of people lately, sadly, I don't know how to ski. 

I went to Swain 2 years ago and after a day there I was able to do some basic stuff on very beginner hills, but I am planning on formal lessons next winter. I've also considered shorter ski blades, as I can skate fairly well and was told that those remeble ice skates the most. 

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The hills look like there are a bunch of people lately, sadly, I don't know how to ski. 

I went to Swain 2 years ago and after a day there I was able to do some basic stuff on very beginner hills, but I am planning on formal lessons next winter. I've also considered shorter ski blades, as I can skate fairly well and was told that those remeble ice skates the most. 

If you can skate, you can ski. Just rent a shorter pair of skis and remember not to try a crossover. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Well, I did it. I qualified for the NASTAR National Championship in Aspen, CO. Meaning I'm am OK beer league alpine ski racer. 

I'm really in a big fish, small pond scenario and I'm most definitely going to get absolutely smoked in the top division in Aspen, but oh well. I'm in.

Screenshot_20200211-144350_Yahoo Mail.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

On 2/5/2020 at 9:42 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My first 2 sport workout today, did a mile swim in 55 minutes and then pounded out a 5k in 29 minutes right after. Tomorrow a 15 mile cycle on the trainer. 

Followed this up with a 14oz strip steak and broccoli. Feel good and tired all at once. 

Also this is my new setup for winter cycling, not all that exciting, but a good way to train properly. 

20200115_231913.jpg

Woody, how do you like that trainer set-up? I've been debating doing this with my road bike. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Woody, how do you like that trainer set-up? I've been debating doing this with my road bike. 

Honestly, it's probably the best way to keep the authenticity of a true cycle. It's not as fun as being outside, but it does a good job of keeping it very accurate. I have a fan I put on myself work the workout and pop the TV on and cycle away to whatever is on. 

I like the fluid trainers as you use your own gears to shift and the fluid mimics resistance quite well, and my kinetic road machine (the one I have here) has a built in power meter to give me accurate Mph/distance/watts etc. For about 279$ or so, I think it was a great purchase, especially for the winter to train and stay in cycling shape. 

Separately, I just ran 8 miles and kept my best pace since I've started of 10:15/mile. I love seeing improvement when training, I was even keeping my heart rate in the upper 150,s for most of it! 

One step closer to that Ironman 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Honestly, it's probably the best way to keep the authenticity of a true cycle. It's not as fun as being outside, but it does a good job of keeping it very accurate. I have a fan I put on myself work the workout and pop the TV on and cycle away to whatever is on. 

I like the fluid trainers as you use your own gears to shift and the fluid mimics resistance quite well, and my kinetic road machine (the one I have here) has a built in power meter to give me accurate Mph/distance/watts etc. For about 279$ or so, I think it was a great purchase, especially for the winter to train and stay in cycling shape. 

Separately, I just ran 8 miles and kept my best pace since I've started of 10:15/mile. I love seeing improvement when training, I was even keeping my heart rate in the upper 150,s for most of it! 

One step closer to that Ironman 

ebay is littered with used ones, so maybe that's the route I'll go.

• 2 months later...

My new pedals for my mountain bike came in the mail today! Yes!

*****! I don't have a pedal wrench! Ok, bike store opens at 10 tomorrow. Get pedal wrench! 

Also, my storage hooks came in the mail today too. So now my bikes are all hanging up in my garage. Looks not half bad.

• 1 month later...

Went on a stealth bike ride last night. Who'd have thought mountain biking at night wasn't the best of ideas? I ate ***** over the train tracks at about 20 mph. Not a scratch on my bike. Only several bruises on my left side. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Went on a stealth bike ride last night. Who'd have thought mountain biking at night wasn't the best of ideas? I ate ***** over the train tracks at about 20 mph. Not a scratch on my bike. Only several bruises on my left side. 

Dude.

That sux.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Dude.

That sux.

It was my fault, obviously. The railroad tracks are kinda technical during daylight and I was going way to fast AND at night, with a riding light. It was dumb. I had it coming.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ubkev said:

It was my fault, obviously. The railroad tracks are kinda technical during daylight and I was going way to fast AND at night, with a riding light. It was dumb. I had it coming.

How far do you usually ride? I just started a few months ago and did about 18 miles in Buffalo last weekend. I was pretty tired at the end but most of the time I’m just having so much fun it doesn’t seem like exercise. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How far do you usually ride? I just started a few months ago and did about 18 miles in Buffalo last weekend. I was pretty tired at the end but most of the time I’m just having so much fun it doesn’t seem like exercise. 

Just got back from what I guess you could call a sprint. I set a personal record for my regular road route. 17.68 miles in 1 hour and 6 minutes. My goal for that particular ride is 1 hour flat. I'm going to have to be perfectly rested and have a windless day to pull that off. The ride only has about 300 feet of elevation gain, but most of it is elevated on a retaining d.i.k.e. on the Susquehanna River, so the wind sucks!

Most of the time I'm not riding on the road. I like to stick to the trails in the woods by the river and in the surrounding mountains. Those rides are usually anywhere from 15 to 30 miles. I don't go farther that that, these days.

Oh, and I'm fully exhausted. I think I may die. It's 90 degrees with a million% humidity.

Edited by ubkev
The filter thinks the object that keeps my city from flooding is a dirty word
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'm been riding a bit lately too, and I did 12 miles in around an hour on Monday. Paved and gravel fairly flat canal trail and streets, on my (I guess) vintage 2001 Trek 4900 MTB.That's way more than the usual 4-6 mile quick ones I do most of the time. Around here, the bike trails are generally pretty flat since they're rail or canal, but the roads you can end up in decent hills really quickly (think southern Erie County).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Just got back from what I guess you could call a sprint. I set a personal record for my regular road route. 17.68 miles in 1 hour and 6 minutes. My goal for that particular ride is 1 hour flat. I'm going to have to be perfectly rested and have a windless day to pull that off. The ride only has about 300 feet of elevation gain, but most of it is elevated on a retaining d.i.k.e. on the Susquehanna River, so the wind sucks!

Most of the time I'm not riding on the road. I like to stick to the trails in the woods by the river and in the surrounding mountains. Those rides are usually anywhere from 15 to 30 miles. I don't go farther that that, these days.

Oh, and I'm fully exhausted. I think I may die. It's 90 degrees with a million% humidity.

I had no idea before I started riding how much the wind matters! Our bodies are like sails, it seems. 

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Williamsport?

16 hours ago, ubkev said:

Wilkes-Barre and surrounding towns.

Ah, cool. There's a path/trail on the top of the flood barrier all along US15 in Williamsport too.

Around here the Schuylkill River Trail is the place to go if you want to hit longer distances without a lot of road; it's in sections, but from here it's complete-ish all the way into Philly (+-20 miles). The parts I've seen are mostly flat, other than a moderate hill right here near Phoenixville where they couldn't follow the river.

https://schuylkillriver.org/map/

47 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Ah, cool. There's a path/trail on the top of the flood barrier all along US15 in Williamsport too.

Around here the Schuylkill River Trail is the place to go if you want to hit longer distances without a lot of road; it's in sections, but from here it's complete-ish all the way into Philly (+-20 miles). The parts I've seen are mostly flat, other than a moderate hill right here near Phoenixville where they couldn't follow the river.

https://schuylkillriver.org/map/

That sounds pretty good. Ours is segmented. Behind my house it runs for 4 miles into a mountain and the flood control lands. On the other end of it, you have to ride about a mile of road to the river walk downtown area, which is pretty nice. Then I cross the river and the d.i.k.e picks back up for another 10 miles through a park and 3 or 4 towns. It hits a major highway on ramp after that, but if you want to navigate that the trail picks up again in about a half mile for another 2 miles of paved trail.

• 4 weeks later...

The last 3 days I crushed a 1 mile open water swim on Wednesday, a 55 mile bike ride yesterday and just finished a 10mile run today.... It was the hottest I can remember in a loooong time, my body is all but dead, and I was stupid for even doing these things.... That is all ??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The last 3 days I crushed a 1 mile open water swim on Wednesday, a 55 mile bike ride yesterday and just finished a 10mile run today.... It was the hottest I can remember in a loooong time, my body is all but dead, and I was stupid for even doing these things.... That is all ??

Dude, I did a Sprint Tri like 15 years ago. The swim was 800 meters. That's half a mile. I swear to you, I almost drown. My friends and I trained for months. I swam it in a little under 20 minutes and I thought I was going to die! The hardcore guys do that swim in about 8 minutes. I couldn't do it in 8 minutes with a canoe.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm exhausted just reading this post.   My main concern these days is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Dude, I did a Sprint Tri like 15 years ago. The swim was 800 meters. That's half a mile. I swear to you, I almost drown. My friends and I trained for months. I swam it in a little under 20 minutes and I thought I was going to die! The hardcore guys do that swim in about 8 minutes. I couldn't do it in 8 minutes with a canoe.

The swim is the hardest part, I was training well up until Covid hit and then the Ymca's all closed, I was able to do 1.2 miles in like 50 minutes, that's still super slow, but now, it's very tough getting back into swim shape. My last real long swim before this week was March 6th ?

I have a sprint Tri on August 5th,a half marathon August 16th and then a Half Iron man September 5th. Assuming I don't die, the real. Training starts mid September for Ironman Lake Placid in July. I've already hired a coach and he's brutal lol. 

Care to join? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.