The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

On 11/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, josie said:

Dark broke our scale. And I don't really care to buy a new one. I used to base my entire self worth on that number and subject myself to over exercise and starving to make it smaller. I've found I'm much healthier if I ignore it. So I guess this is a good step for me. Besides, I weigh the same/slightly more as I did 10 years ago, and I'm about 6 dress sizes smaller. The number is sometimes totally worthless. I'll never consistently weigh under 140 and be a dainty beauty, I may be "overweight" according to the BMI charts, but my muscly shoulders and back can fight the critics. Have added 50-100 lunges or squats to my daily routine though... legs are starting to look like I'm actually a 30 year old woman rather than 20s... damn you changing fat deposits we talked about this ? 

BMI index is such a farce. Before I moved, I was going to the gym 4 days a week for over 10 years. Between moving, trips back and forth to FL, not having signed up for the local gym for the first few months while I was here, my poison ivy infection................ I've lost 35 pounds since last November. I'd say 25-30 of that was muscle. I'm getting back into it now. 

Point is, at my peak, I was 205 pounds @ 5'8". Probably could have stood to lose 10 pounds because my main diet was meat and starches. But, it's what gave me endurance. BMI had me listed at obese which I was far from. It told me my ideal weight was around 140-160. If I were 140, people would think I was terminally ill. 

I've never paid attention to BMI, it's an antiquated formula that needs to go away. If you're around 140 but muscular, don't worry about what BMI tells you. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/29/2018 at 6:11 PM, JJFIVEOH said:

BMI index is such a farce.

Not for me.  I'm *not* muscular (sounds like you are), and they do advise that it doesn't apply well to people with a lot of muscle mass.  I'm a middle-aged guy with skinny arms and a beer belly.  When it says I'm in shape, I'm in shape.  When it says I'm fat, I'm fat.  For me it's dead on.

So with my son's marriage out of the way, the projects around the house are not as pressing.  And because I am heavier than I've ever been, the doctor told me during my physical I need to start riding again.  Coupled with a fortuitous acquisition of a new wheelset for my fixed gear bike (a friend is retiring to South Padre Island and cashing out his excess bicycle gear), I'm starting to ride again.. four rides in the last five days.

pmVSd49iCGI08csiJvX4thYPSzDE-TFleuLLCuPy

1XIsIo0JR9pJUs7aTjFL4eX5HzwP5L_6750lue_x

ihHL6Nx0GGFxP15lb0QbTVjg8mK_pNvZ2vnr5twg

• Like (+1) 1

Watched the Bills game at Buffalo Bros. tonight.  Rode there and got some bonus miles afterward.

I forgot to take a good bike picture during the ride so you're stuck with the selfie I took at the bar during the game (me in the gray shirt), and a pic of my bike on the patio when I got home.

kra0mWoPtLJ-L4qvPAE0qEwsv0BNUKkUfmyIeFnM

B2ZN8fUS4IxHtQMEbqrn07snnTShFsOM5ga-NHJD

Edited by Doohickie

13 hours ago, ubkev said:

I'm. So. Hungry!

So I went to the new Buffalo Bros today (their original location is near Texas Christian University; today was the grand opening of their second location in downtown Fort Worth.  It's about twice the size of the original, with ten times the TVs.  But the same great food.  Friday is fish fry day for Buffalonians, right?

HitpP7_oSmN1kyKF5W_caaivqfCiXaT23V8LkKdI

This is my new friend Casey.  I know a lot of the staff at the old location but Casey was hired for the new location.  Note also just behind her is a mural of the 2017 snow game.  The mural's about 20 feet long.

Ud-OJc6aajHHdiKPIvx6wkfhkscCQg993XnYlCgs

And to get back on topic, I rode there, naturally.  I ended up with 30 miles in 100+ temperatures.  I barely made it home (which is slightly uphill for the last several miles); I think I was on the edge of heat exhaustion.  Not having ridden much recently I still don't have my legs and on the fixed gear bike I can't just downshift.  The end of the ride was a real slog.  Earlier in the ride, though, I went to Airfied Falls.  Here's a couple different views, the first from the top of the falls:

9AimecHVP40tlEXW4qUXIdSDIe0eFYdVUKNs79D8

And looking from the little shelter in the background of the first pic:

6wfjJEnvanTx5bbgdcSKRgBMe08G_qsNXm48HuTd

(Not exactly Niagara, but it's kinda scenic.)

Edited by Doohickie

42 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

6wfjJEnvanTx5bbgdcSKRgBMe08G_qsNXm48HuTd

(Not exactly Niagara, but it's kinda scenic.)

I can't ride a bike with a seat like that.  Every time I do, my balls go numb (and not in a good way).

Edited by Tondas

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I can't ride a bike with a seat like that.  Every time I do, my balls go numb (and not in a good way).

I once heard, if you need padding anywhere on a bike, then you haven’t been fitted properly.

ftr, I really need to be fitted, cuz my seat could be rented out to a kids party as a bounce house.

• Haha (+1) 1

I passively broke a sweat tonight.  When I got home my son noticed it was warm in the house:  81 degrees (it was 102 outside).  It quickly went up to 87 inside.  Luckily my friend and my hero who does AC work came by at about 8:30 pm and diagnosed and repaired a blown fuse caused by extended running because there was too much dust in my coils.  He rinsed out the coils, fixed the fuse, and now it's down to

67919608_2320083438040533_80745814403831

and still falling.

My good friend just ran the iron man in placid and made it!!! It's pure torture and idk why anyone wants to do that to themselves. He was hit by a drunk driver on his bicycle a few years ago, was in rough shape, broken femur, and in critical condition, so this was huge for him. 

With that being said, he was mentioning about doing another one in 4-5 years and was wondering if I'd train with him.... I'm so outta shape, and I'm traveling too much, but now the thought of that finisher medal is in my mind. 

Adhd is a bitch ???

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

My good friend just ran the iron man in placid and made it!!! It's pure torture and idk why anyone wants to do that to themselves. He was hit by a drunk driver on his bicycle a few years ago, was in rough shape, broken femur, and in critical condition, so this was huge for him. 

With that being said, he was mentioning about doing another one in 4-5 years and was wondering if I'd train with him.... I'm so outta shape, and I'm traveling too much, but now the thought of that finisher medal is in my mind. 

Adhd is a bitch ???

I've done a Sprint tri before. The swim almost killed me. And I trained for 3 months. I'm 100% positive that I'd drown in an iron man. 

59 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Something tells me the Ironman needs minimum 1 year of training no? 

I'm thinking a lifetime of training wouldn't be enough in my case lol. I won't swim more than 1000 meters, I won't ride more than 50k, and I won't run more than 5k. I'd need a professional trainer and a year off of work.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:43 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Adhd is a bitch ???

I raced competitively in my age group for a few years after moving to California.  Did many sprints and halfs, only 1 full IM. 

Anybody can do it.  You'd be surprised how long you can go with proper nutrition and hydration. 

The hardest part isn't the race itself..  it's the discipline to get your workout in every single day while training.  It needs to be the highest priority thing in your life for the better part of a full year.

I'd recommend doing at least one full marathon and a tough century in the months leading up to the race.   And an open water swim of race dist (2.4mi) if you can find one.   For swim training I joined up with a Masters group at a local pool.   90min workouts, in the water at 6am... did wonders for my swimming, still sucked at it tho. For running, its absolutely imperative that you get properly fitted for running shoes or you will be miserable.

For me, I quit triathlon after the IM.  I was starting a family and it just seemed like a really really selfish endeavour at that time... and it is, your whole day is planned around your training, eating, sleeping, etc.  I started playing hockey again after that because I missed the locker room atmosphere you only get from a team sport.

• 4 months later...

Since we've moved into the house I've been exercising less and eating/drinking more.  I'm up to 250 pounds and my body is feeling it.  So I'm back to counting calories and trying to get more exercise in.  So far I'm 2-for-2 on riding the bike in two days this year.  They haven't been long rides, less than 20 miles, but a friend started a tag on Facebook:  #itsonly10miles, to encourage riding shorter, more regular rides for people who don't have the time for epic 70 mile adventures.

I haven't been riding much as I've said, and there's a lot that's changed along my usual routes.  Most of them are subtle but they jumped out at me.  Like this sign on an advertising firm building:

dEnAYuVbb9s_saDMq7h9asyUGeFxhO17g2i6yvav

.... and if you've heard about the recent banana taped to wall art thing, Fort Worth is "all in" on that too.

eRqDNerOWm2BcSY-41FMftGogeAFMVdbboqRGZbq

• Like (+1) 1

The new year gym crowd hasn't been too bad. I just have to accept that I can't always do my workouts in the order that my OCD would prefer I do them. I'm doing a lot more weight training for fat loss instead of cardio. We'll see how this goes. Should be good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

The new year gym crowd hasn't been too bad. I just have to accept that I can't always do my workouts in the order that my OCD would prefer I do them. I'm doing a lot more weight training for fat loss instead of cardio. We'll see how this goes. Should be good.

I invested in everything I need for home years ago. I’m way too OCD to be able to use a public facility unless it were closed. Since that incident with the pneumonia(I was on and off for a year here and there)I’ve been working hard and consistently. That’s the key I think. Well anyways I’ve been having success and a tougher time finding clothes that fit right. My FIL is insisting that I need to wear xl tees but I’m only 5’8. I can’t wear a friggin shirt that comes down near my knees. Looks worse that just wearing the large that is a little snug. None of my dress shirt are able to be buttoned around the neck(I can hide it with a double Windsor) and the more of the shirt I fill, the shorter the sleeves are(can’t hide that). Overall it is good though. You’ll just have to buy new clothes.

Edited by Ogre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.