The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Not sure where you are at but Bershire East is a smaller quaint but good sized hill in Northen Mass that is reasonable and in its own little snow belt just south of the Vermont border, about 20 miles East of Williamstown MA.  I ski Jimney Peak a lot and will probably go to Hunter this year.  Want to try out Strattford... only 90 miles from my House in Amherst MA if snow is good.  Last year snow came in late.  Over xmas we skied Sundance in Utah, Steamboat and El Doro.  All very different and very nice, though Steamboat is for medical Dr. snobs and their spoiled kids..

Maybe, but Vail is way worse, and Steamboat is SO PRETTY.

Steamboat_01-28-17_1.jpg

Steamboat_01-28-17_2.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

The kettlebell is the dumbest of the 2010's workout things! It's right up there with the Shake Weight, the ThighMaster and that thing that zaps you fat ass into a 6 pack while you eat donuts on the couch.

I've seen 3 of them thrown across the gym accidentally in as many months. I mean straight heaved into the air! Geronimo!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ubkev said:

The kettlebell is the dumbest of the 2010's workout things! It's right up there with the Shake Weight, the ThighMaster and that thing that zaps you fat ass into a 6 pack while you eat donuts on the couch.

I've seen 3 of them thrown across the gym accidentally in as many months. I mean straight heaved into the air! Geronimo!

That's not the kettlebell's fault! 

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

Hold up.  I can't do traditional deadlifts because of where the bar is.  But I can deadlift with kettlebells in my hands.  There's a reason why equipment is varied.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Hold up.  I can't do traditional deadlifts because of where the bar is.  But I can deadlift with kettlebells in my hands.  There's a reason why equipment is varied.

Of course there's a reason. I was being an ass. I only bench press with dumbbells, never the bar, I know what you mean. But I almost lost a whole foot today and kettlebells will bear the brunt of my rage! And deadlifts scare me. I only do back extensions for my lower back and 4 different types of pull ups for my lats. Just body weight stuff for the back. I've seen enough people do enough damage to successfully scare me off of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m finally getting a strength move that I’ve been trying to do for 3 years. It’s called gator (I don’t know why) and it’s essentially a breakdancing move on a hoop. I’m balancing my body on my elbow. One leg is lightly touching the hoop but I’m starting to get it away. Really hard.  

Feels good. 

1BA6BF9B-09C7-404A-BBD2-4E3A850493DD.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ubkev said:

The handicapped parking spaces at the gym should be for people doing leg day.

Oh and @biodork, A-Basin and Loveland are open! And I'm strongly debating calling into work this week and heading to Killington.

I went to A-Basin yesterday and Loveland today. ?

10 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Atta girl! Wish I lived that close! Hell, I'd have made the trip to Wolf Creek last week when they got buried. What's that, 4/5 hours from you?

Trust me, I was tempted to drive there myself! 60% open on natural snow only?! I will definitely go at some point this season, though.

1 minute ago, biodork said:

Trust me, I was tempted to drive there myself! 60% open on natural snow only?! I will definitely go at some point this season, though.

Killington is 5 hours and 9 minutes from my door. Pretty sure I'm not going to work on Saturday in favor of huge crowds and man made snow. The only reason I wasn't there on Friday is because my car is going into the shop Tuesday.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dark broke our scale. And I don't really care to buy a new one. I used to base my entire self worth on that number and subject myself to over exercise and starving to make it smaller. I've found I'm much healthier if I ignore it. So I guess this is a good step for me. Besides, I weigh the same/slightly more as I did 10 years ago, and I'm about 6 dress sizes smaller. The number is sometimes totally worthless. I'll never consistently weigh under 140 and be a dainty beauty, I may be "overweight" according to the BMI charts, but my muscly shoulders and back can fight the critics. Have added 50-100 lunges or squats to my daily routine though... legs are starting to look like I'm actually a 30 year old woman rather than 20s... damn you changing fat deposits we talked about this ? 

29 minutes ago, josie said:

Dark broke our scale. And I don't really care to buy a new one. I used to base my entire self worth on that number and subject myself to over exercise and starving to make it smaller. I've found I'm much healthier if I ignore it. So I guess this is a good step for me. Besides, I weigh the same/slightly more as I did 10 years ago, and I'm about 6 dress sizes smaller. The number is sometimes totally worthless. I'll never consistently weigh under 140 and be a dainty beauty, I may be "overweight" according to the BMI charts, but my muscly shoulders and back can fight the critics. Have added 50-100 lunges or squats to my daily routine though... legs are starting to look like I'm actually a 30 year old woman rather than 20s... damn you changing fat deposits we talked about this ? 

If you stress over the number you'll harm yourself in so many ways.  Glad to see that you don't anymore.

Judge yourself on your the effort you put in as you are and you'll be happier and healthier.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, josie said:

OK, yes, yes, wonderful. Back to dark breaking the scale...

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

OK, yes, yes, wonderful. Back to dark breaking the scale...

It was a glass one- he set it down just wrong and it just shattered. No fault of his burgeoning winter diet ?  It was quite a few years old- those pretty fancy scales just don't last like the old ones 

• 1 month later...

I've gained about 6 pounds of what I'm going to call lazy holiday weight. I was probably up about 3 pounds over where I like to be right as the holidays were beginning and I haven't done myself any favors over the past couple weeks. I've been lying to myself saying that skiing is just as good as cardio/leg day at the gym...it isn't. It's basically nothing. If I'm not hiking up the mountain, it's like, no work at all. I can ski for 8 hours and not sweat at all. But I like skiing a lot more than I like working out, so it's an issue.

Been back on my workout for the past 3 days. I just need to find a mix that works for me now. The gym is such an easy commitment when the mountains aren't calling me every day. I'm trying not to accept a winter layer of fat, but the struggle is real.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.