The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

40 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I'm planning on buying new skis this year. I've had them all picked out for the past 9 months and I've been saving up. I'll definitely be getting them. Now, I have a question for y'all. I've got an opportunity to pick up a different pair of skis. A pair of skis unrelated to anything I currently do on the mountain. I can snag an $1100 pair of Downhill FIS Racing skis for $150. I do compete in beer league races, but beer league only runs Giant Slalom, never Downhill, so they're no use to me there. No, I want them only to be able to hit 85mph on the slopes. It's like buying a Lamborghini to drive 5 times a year. I'm never going to be able to race them in competition, and I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I have 4 pairs of skis. 

Worth it? What say you?

DO IT, DO IT.

1 hour ago, biodork said:

DO IT, DO IT.

Right!? Brand new, by the way. 2015, but still, never used. Only snag is I will need to pick up some bindings. Ain't that a kick in the head? Having bindings more expensive than the skis that they're on...

26 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Right!? Brand new, by the way. 2015, but still, never used. Only snag is I will need to pick up some bindings. Ain't that a kick in the head? Having bindings more expensive than the skis that they're on...

My snowboarding boots cost more than my board, lol.

55 minutes ago, biodork said:

? Either your passes were a whole lot less than mine, or you got some fancy boots!

I live in the Poconos, you live in the Rockies. My passes were significantly cheaper than yours. 2 separate passes at 2 mountains, just under $400. I have 7 mountains within 45/60 minutes from my house. I'd love for them to do something like an Epic or an Ikon pass, but no such luck yet.

Reminds me need to sign my son up for his rental snowboard equpment.  Kid has grown 2 shoes sizes, 15 lbs and 3-4 inches since last winter now standing at 6’1”, 180 size 12... another inch and he is a tall as me at age 14... crap.

On the good side been working out more consistently and playing beer league this summer and skating on my own once a week... down to 190... from 205... 185 my goal weight as I eat 4 pieces of pizza to make up skipping lunch because manual labor on my house. Meh will get back on the train tomorrow..

On 9/2/2018 at 5:44 AM, ubkev said:

I live in the Poconos, you live in the Rockies. My passes were significantly cheaper than yours. 2 separate passes at 2 mountains, just under $400. I have 7 mountains within 45/60 minutes from my house. I'd love for them to do something like an Epic or an Ikon pass, but no such luck yet.

Oof, one of the (admittedly few) things I miss about the East coast... Vail and Alterra have turned into Coke vs Pepsi out here and are buying up everything, and one season pass (for one mountain) is rarely under $400. Much like paying for cable vs streaming, I wish I could choose to make my own pass with the mountains I like (which are a combo of ones owned by the two groups) rather than having to do all or nothing. I've easily spent $800 each of the last two seasons on ski passes. ??

1 minute ago, biodork said:

Oof, one of the (admittedly few) things I miss about the East coast... Vail and Alterra have turned into Coke vs Pepsi out here and are buying up everything, and one season pass (for one mountain) is rarely under $400. Much like paying for cable vs streaming, I wish I could choose to make my own pass with the mountains I like (which are a combo of ones owned by the two groups) rather than having to do all or nothing. I've easily spent $800 each of the last two seasons on ski passes. ??

Yep, and the Mountain Collective pass isn't any better because it's only 2 days at each mountain. Whats your home mountain now if you don't mind me asking?

Just now, ubkev said:

Yep, and the Mountain Collective pass isn't any better because it's only 2 days at each mountain. Whats your home mountain now if you don't mind me asking?

I like to ride a bunch of different places, which is part of why I have a hard time picking passes every year, lol... favorites are Copper, Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Keystone. I haven't ridden Breckenridge or Beaver Creek yet (the former is on my pass this coming season). Wolf Creek and Steamboat are both awesome, but too far away to be regular destinations for me. And I need to ride Crested Butte this year before Vail ruins it.

3 minutes ago, biodork said:

I like to ride a bunch of different places, which is part of why I have a hard time picking passes every year, lol... favorites are Copper, Arapahoe Basin, Loveland, and Keystone. I haven't ridden Breckenridge or Beaver Creek yet (the former is on my pass this coming season). Wolf Creek and Steamboat are both awesome, but too far away to be regular destinations for me. And I need to ride Crested Butte this year before Vail ruins it.

I love that there's Copper and Cooper right near each other. That makes me laugh. I have heard nothing but good things about all of those mountains. Vail is, well, Vail. I'd definitely add Aspen(all 4) to the list, just to feel like a celebrity for the day. And Telluride looks like the most awesome winter town ever. My uncle lived at the base of Breck for years and absolutely loves that mountain. I've heard good things about Silverton too.

Just now, ubkev said:

I love that there's Copper and Cooper right near each other. That makes me laugh. I have heard nothing but good things about all of those mountains. Vail is, well, Vail. I'd definitely add Aspen(all 4) to the list, just to feel like a celebrity for the day. And Telluride looks like the most awesome winter town ever. My uncle lived at the base of Breck for years and absolutely loves that mountain. I've heard good things about Silverton too.

Yeah, lots of places I have yet to visit! I want to check out Aspen and Snowmass at some point, but it gets hard to justify the cost of lift tickets after dropping so much on season passes when I can ride prepaid at other resorts. Plus Aspen is too far for a day trip, so lodging starts to add up fast. ? But they do a nice late season discounted weekend (spring fling in early April), so if the snow is better this year I might try to make it.

4 minutes ago, biodork said:

Yeah, lots of places I have yet to visit! I want to check out Aspen and Snowmass at some point, but it gets hard to justify the cost of lift tickets after dropping so much on season passes when I can ride prepaid at other resorts. Plus Aspen is too far for a day trip, so lodging starts to add up fast. ? But they do a nice late season discounted weekend (spring fling in early April), so if the snow is better this year I might try to make it.

So many places, so little time (and money) my 2 home mountains now are Camelback and Montage Mountain. I'll hit up Gore and Whiteface in NY when I go home. I need to drag my dad out to Gore again for old times sake. My local ski shop does 2 bus trips to Hunter, so I'll jump on that and I'm doing Mount Washington, NH in March. Gonna try to squeeze an April Killington trip to close out the season. Wanted to do Stowe and Jay Peak, but the wife put her foot down ?

Oh well, I'm getting away with a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ubkev said:

So many places, so little time (and money) my 2 home mountains now are Camelback and Montage Mountain. I'll hit up Gore and Whiteface in NY when I go home. I need to drag my dad out to Gore again for old times sake. My local ski shop does 2 bus trips to Hunter, so I'll jump on that and I'm doing Mount Washington, NH in March. Gonna try to squeeze an April Killington trip to close out the season. Wanted to do Stowe and Jay Peak, but the wife put her foot down ?

I did Whiteface with a ski group trip years ago, but I was too inexperienced to really appreciate it. Lake Placid is a cool little town, though.

I didn't think to ask this before, but is there any reason you couldn't just transfer over the bindings from one of your existing pair of skis temporarily to the new ones when you wanted to use them? Or are they shaped or sized differently for the racing skis?

28 minutes ago, biodork said:

I did Whiteface with a ski group trip years ago, but I was too inexperienced to really appreciate it. Lake Placid is a cool little town, though.

I didn't think to ask this before, but is there any reason you couldn't just transfer over the bindings from one of your existing pair of skis temporarily to the new ones when you wanted to use them? Or are they shaped or sized differently for the racing skis?

I keep a beer league racing ski, an all mountain ski and a park ski. I always bring 2 of them to the mountain. I'll ski all mountain til mid afternoon, then I'll go hang out in the park and do dumb stuff with the kids and park rats. I literally never know what i'll be in the mood for from one day to the next.

22 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I keep a beer league racing ski, an all mountain ski and a park ski. I always bring 2 of them to the mountain. I'll ski all mountain til mid afternoon, then I'll go hang out in the park and do dumb stuff with the kids and park rats. I literally never know what i'll be in the mood for from one day to the next.

Fun to have that option!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm extremely happy with the way things are falling together for me hockey-wise this winter. Back in college I played quite a bit and was probably in the best shape of my life, but the last few years have made that tough. Now I'm in a league at Lockport on Sundays, I'm playing in the development league again at East Aurora on Mondays, and I've got friendly scrimmages available on Wednesdays and Saturdays if I want. That's about all I can afford but it's nice to finally be in a position to play a 2-4 times a week if I want. 

Back on the ice this season... in the best shape I've been in since somewhere during my freshman year of college.

Last night we played with 8 players... I felt like i could have skated another game afterward.... that's an awesome feeling.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

Back on the ice this season... in the best shape I've been in since somewhere during my freshman year of college.

Last night we played with 8 players... I felt like i could have skated another game afterward.... that's an awesome feeling.

I'm looking forward to feeling like that. There were times in college where I could play a full 60 without taking a break. My buddies and I used to do a thing we called "The Gauntlet" where we'd play hockey in the morning on campus, then go straight to Bill Gray's for skate and shoot, then go straight from there to Genesee Valley for skate and shoot. It was like 5 straight hours of hockey in one day. Then we'd go to classes and rest and were probably back on the ice for pickup or intramurals later that night. 

Ah to be in college again. 

It's amazing that I'm still not any good given how much I used to play. 

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/3/2018 at 11:33 PM, ubkev said:

Not sure where you are at but Bershire East is a smaller quaint but good sized hill in Northen Mass that is reasonable and in its own little snow belt just south of the Vermont border, about 20 miles East of Williamstown MA.  I ski Jimney Peak a lot and will probably go to Hunter this year.  Want to try out Strattford... only 90 miles from my House in Amherst MA if snow is good.  Last year snow came in late.  Over xmas we skied Sundance in Utah, Steamboat and El Doro.  All very different and very nice, though Steamboat is for medical Dr. snobs and their spoiled kids..

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm looking forward to feeling like that. There were times in college where I could play a full 60 without taking a break. My buddies and I used to do a thing we called "The Gauntlet" where we'd play hockey in the morning on campus, then go straight to Bill Gray's for skate and shoot, then go straight from there to Genesee Valley for skate and shoot. It was like 5 straight hours of hockey in one day. Then we'd go to classes and rest and were probably back on the ice for pickup or intramurals later that night. 

Ah to be in college again. 

It's amazing that I'm still not any good given how much I used to play. 

Recovering from two knee bruise/sprains... lower patella tendons only hurts at one point... problem is just as my knee bend is at the point of pushing of in first two strides. My OR nurse wife told me to lay off just as I accelerating my workouts and as fall hockey has begun plus I am playing more D lately... Not happy.. first time my knees have ever bothered me... waah?

Edited by North Buffalo

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Recovering from two knee bruise/sprains... lower patella tendons only hurts at one point... problem is just as my knee bend is at the point of pushing of in first two strides. My OR nurse wife told me to lay off just as I accelerating my workouts and as fall hockey has begun plus I am playing more D lately... Not happy.. first time my knees have ever bothered me... waah?

My left knee definitely still lets me know when I'm over-doing it. Back when I first started playing hockey in college I had a few incidents playing goalie where I slipped my kneecap out. The doc basically told me the only solution was to get stronger so the tendon would hold my kneecap in place. Apparently the groove that my kneecap sits in is unusually shallow, which makes them kinda weak. *knock on wood* I haven't had issues in years, but I totally understand your situation. And I'm only 31. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Not sure where you are at but Bershire East is a smaller quaint but good sized hill in Northen Mass that is reasonable and in its own little snow belt just south of the Vermont border, about 20 miles East of Williamstown MA.  I ski Jimney Peak a lot and will probably go to Hunter this year.  Want to try out Strattford... only 90 miles from my House in Amherst MA if snow is good.  Last year snow came in late.  Over xmas we skied Sundance in Utah, Steamboat and El Doro.  All very different and very nice, though Steamboat is for medical Dr. snobs and their spoiled kids..

I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania. The Poconos.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.