The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

• 3 weeks later...

I love apline lakes. :wub: Almost 10 miles hiked each Saturday and Sunday, with around 4100 ft of elevation gain. Much as I love snowboarding, summer in the mountains is pretty awesome, too.

post-1683-0-81104200-1528761092_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-09204700-1528761099_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-33498000-1528761103_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-13647300-1528761109_thumb.jpg

Edited by biodork

I love apline lakes. :wub: Almost 10 miles hiked each Saturday and Sunday, with around 4100 ft of elevation gain. Much as I love snowboarding, summer in the mountains is pretty awesome, too.

You should take up flyfishing.

I weighed in at 171 pounds this morning and I just put up a new personal best squat of 400 pounds. I'm pretty darn happy with that.

a 400 lb. squat is a great accomplishment!

Been lifting religiously for a quarter decade or so. I'm old now, so I no longer push my limits (e.g., max out). My biggest piece of advice is start scaling back the weight (and/or only go uber-heavy selectively) when you start approaching age 40 or so. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way!

Fine.  I will.

BUT i don't have alpine lakes to fish.

You can fish for Asian Carp... with a net!

a 400 lb. squat is a great accomplishment!

Been lifting religiously for a quarter decade or so. I'm old now, so I no longer push my limits (e.g., max out). My biggest piece of advice is start scaling back the weight (and/or only go uber-heavy selectively) when you start approaching age 40 or so. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way!

10-4 good buddy. I never max out. I just felt great the other day. 6 plates and the bar is as high as I ever go, and I do that for reps. I only bench with dumbbells, and even then I never go above 60lb bells. Tone is all I go for, but I do need to maintain a strong lower body and core, because I really abuse my body all winter long.

I've been hitting the elliptical very hard lately, but not riding my bike as much as I want because all the trails by my house are flooded. I might make a trip up to Mt. Snow or Killington and hit up their bike trails soon.

:D

I'm going to get 150 days on mountain this winter and I'm going to post pictures to torture you while you're trying to save humankind working ridiculously long hours in a lab! :p

10-4 good buddy. I never max out. I just felt great the other day. 6 plates and the bar is as high as I ever go, and I do that for reps. I only bench with dumbbells, and even then I never go above 60lb bells. Tone is all I go for, but I do need to maintain a strong lower body and core, because I really abuse my body all winter long.

I've been hitting the elliptical very hard lately, but not riding my bike as much as I want because all the trails by my house are flooded. I might make a trip up to Mt. Snow or Killington and hit up their bike trails soon.

I'm going to get 150 days on mountain this winter and I'm going to post pictures to torture you while you're trying to save humankind working ridiculously long hours in a lab! :P

I lifted heavy for many years. About 20 years ago when I lived in DC I went to a gym where a number of professional bodybuilders trained... King Kamali, Bethany Howlett, Dave Batista (who wrestling and movie fans know as just Bautista) and some others. They'd revoke your gym membership if you didn't follow the old school rules of gym etiquette. I learned a particular mentality there, which was basically go heavy or go home. My main source of information other than the pros at the gym was the (now defunct) weightlifting magazines. But, what I/we didn't know back then was those magazines were instructing everyone to lift the way professional bodybuilders lift... they'd recommend routines that the pros use... but that level of intensity is just not appropriate for most non-professionals.

Fast forward 20 years and pretty much everyone I know or knew who lifted that way has had knee, shoulder and/or back injuries. And, most started to have problems right around age 40. Ugh. ;)

BTW - I have strong opinions about CrossFit (given the above)

Fine. I will.

BUT i don't have alpine lakes to fish.

Copy/paste fail on my part (d'oh).

I'm going to get 150 days on mountain this winter and I'm going to post pictures to torture you while you're trying to save humankind working ridiculously long hours in a lab! :p

:lol:

You should take up flyfishing.

bio, just put up those sticky strips instead. So much easier.

Great pics!

• 4 weeks later...

Good Lord, I need central air conditioning... currently 84 degrees on the main level and almost 88 degrees upstairs. ?

More relevant to the thread; summer wildflowers in the mountains are well-worth hiking 9.5 miles (round-trip) and almost 2200 ft in elevation:

IMG_20180707_135552096_HDR.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, biodork said:

Good Lord, I need central air conditioning... currently 84 degrees on the main level and almost 88 degrees upstairs. ?

More relevant to the thread; summer wildflowers in the mountains are well-worth hiking 9.5 miles (round-trip) and almost 2200 ft in elevation:

IMG_20180707_135552096_HDR.jpg

Hmm, I don't turn the air conditioning on for that level of warmth... which it was here yesterday too.  Although if I hike 9.5 miles round-trip I'm not getting anywhere that looks as nice as that!

While the Tour de France occurs, Fort Worth does a series of rides called the Tour de Fort Worth.  I don't do all the rides (some people do), but I did tonight's ride.  There were a couple hundred riders tonight (give or take), including Ft Worth Mayor Betsy Price.  Including the ride to and from the start from my house, I did 29 miles tonight.

Me and Mayor Betsy

36914220_1732663766782506_90572571372305

The crowd at one of the regroup points

37033821_1732664253449124_82861627779034

I was doing great until I moved. Got back into the gym thing until I blew out my back. That set me back about two weeks. Got back into it now I'm down for weeks with poison sumac. I'd post pics, but they aren't pretty and I can't sleep. Probably gotten 6 hours in the last 3 days. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.