Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What am I missing about Dallas signing a draft pick to an entry-level contract? There's no big rush to do that. Grigorenko signed his last year on 7/18 ... was anyone worried? Nichushkin will either be in the NHL or the KHL next year, so might as well sign him. I believe that if he goes back to Russia, his contract won't kick in (anyone confirm?)

Or, is it because we passed on Nichushkin? The Sabres already have one Russian that they can't develop outside of their NHL roster (Grigs would go back to junior; Nich would go back KHL), and I'd be far more worried about "the Russian factor" from a player who actually stated that it's the NHL or back to Russia. If they didn't already have Grigs, I might have said take the chance, but if we had come out with both after the draft, I would have been even more uneasy about our position.

What am I missing about Dallas signing a draft pick to an entry-level contract? There's no big rush to do that. Grigorenko signed his last year on 7/18 ... was anyone worried? Nichushkin will either be in the NHL or the KHL next year, so might as well sign him. I believe that if he goes back to Russia, his contract won't kick in (anyone confirm?)

Or, is it because we passed on Nichushkin? The Sabres already have one Russian that they can't develop outside of their NHL roster (Grigs would go back to junior; Nich would go back KHL), and I'd be far more worried about "the Russian factor" from a player who actually stated that it's the NHL or back to Russia. If they didn't already have Grigs, I might have said take the chance, but if we had come out with both after the draft, I would have been even more uneasy about our position.

Getting him out of Russia at 18 is better than 2 years of KHL if the kid is ever going to be a two way player.

Getting him out of Russia at 18 is better than 2 years of KHL if the kid is ever going to be a two way player.

I agree with that, but I'm still not sure why posters here thinks it's a big deal that the Stars just signed him. I don't believe that will affect his chances of not ending up back in Russia, since (I believe) his contract would be on hold if he doesn't make the NHL roster and goes back. So, I figured either people were implying that Darcy was taking too long to sign our top prospects or that we should have drafted him instead.

I agree with that, but I'm still not sure why posters here thinks it's a big deal that the Stars just signed him. I don't believe that will affect his chances of not ending up back in Russia, since (I believe) his contract would be on hold if he doesn't make the NHL roster and goes back. So, I figured either people were implying that Darcy was taking too long to sign our top prospects or that we should have drafted him instead.

I'm pretty sure Nichishkin cannot unilaterally go back to the KHL. I believe the Stars would have to consent to it since: 1) He has signed an ELC and 2) the KHL has an agreement with the NHL to honor each others contracts.

Buffalo ain't alone as an underrated gem of a city to live in. http://bluejacketsxt...f-columbus.html

]Horton saw something in Columbus he didn’t think he could find in the biggest markets. He took the perception that smaller markets can’t compete with the biggest ones and turned it inside out. “I talked to a few guys who’ve been here and they said great things about it and then coming here and seeing what the city has to offer, there was no question this is the place I want to be,” Horton said. “It’s a great place for my family and when you get older you have a family and that matters a lot.” Before he signed, Horton, his wife Tammy, 5-year-old son Dylan and 15-month-old son Zach went to the Columbus Zoo. They visited Easton and Polaris, drove around the suburbs and discovered how “beautiful” they are. They want a house with a yard and “a quieter life,” a place where they could enjoy living for seven years.
Edited by weave

I'm thinking just the opposite, I think the Rangers got him locked for the long term at a really good price. Look at his deal vs Myers.

Don't get me wrong, I think McDonough a nice player. Just think that it was high for what he did in a system that relied on the system collapsing back so much.

That seems on the high side to me for where he's at. Nice player though.

Keep in mind, the contract is also buying several UFA years. Personally I think McDonagh's skill set will translate to any system. Guy is a great skater with top end speed, and has some untapped offensive ability. I'd be much more worried about Girardi transitioning to a new scheme than McDonagh.

Keep in mind, the contract is also buying several UFA years. Personally I think McDonagh's skill set will translate to any system. Guy is a great skater with top end speed, and has some untapped offensive ability. I'd be much more worried about Girardi transitioning to a new scheme than McDonagh.

I really do have an open mind about him. I guess I've seen him as more of a generalist in terms of being able to do a little of everything. Skates nice. Solid position. I saw him more of a top guy by necessity....but they must love him. I'll keep watching.

I really do have an open mind about him. I guess I've seen him as more of a generalist in terms of being able to do a little of everything. Skates nice. Solid position. I saw him more of a top guy by necessity....but they must love him. I'll keep watching.

McDonaugh, Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi......24, 23, 26, 29. Scary possibilities.....

Ranger fans talk about Del Zotto even more harshly than Sabres fans talk about Myers. I find them both funny.

Right, because they live in a city where fans don't accept 3 playoff series in 12 months. We live in one that accepts 0 in 6 years with seasons worth of suffering on tap.

Del Zotto had 41 points and was a +20 in '12 and was on pace for 38 points and a + 11 last year with 14 PP points in both.

Myers last year was on pace for 16 points, a - 16, and 5 PP points.

Del Zotto also makes $2.5 million last year and this.

I find the 2 in the same sentence funny as well......

I'm generally not so high on this foursome. I think they are all decent...but I don't think that is a dominate top 4 without the snails pace and backcheck Torts used.

3 of the 4 can shake 'n bake.

I'm excited to see the coach swap next year. I would be willing to wager both teams do at least as well as last. AV fits NY a little better than Torts in VAN, but I would put NY's D in the top 5 of who I would want. A little bit of everything...D..movement...physicality.

I'm excited to see the coach swap next year. I would be willing to wager both teams do at least as well as last. AV fits NY a little better than Torts in VAN, but I would put NY's D in the top 5 of who I would want. A little bit of everything...D..movement...physicality.

I think they skate pretty well....but I don't' see the physicality you are talking about - and I don't think one of them really owns a great shot.

They are okay...but top 5? I really think if Torts thought he could get that bunch up ice, he would have.

I think they skate pretty well....but I don't' see the physicality you are talking about - and I don't think one of them really owns a great shot.

They are okay...but top 5? I really think if Torts thought he could get that bunch up ice, he would have.

I think the problem is they don't have that #1 guy. I'd be happy with any of them filling the 2-4 roles (well maybe not Del Zotto...), so it's kind of D by committee. I see where you're going with the system argument, but I think at least McDonagh and Staal (if healthy) have the versatility to fill in nicely in about any style. Girardi I'm less confident in.

So you are all excited for them have 4 guys roughly the same age range but us having the equivalent but 4 yrs behind... how do you feel about that?

O and they are average as far as physicality, not intimidating IMPO

So you are all excited for them have 4 guys roughly the same age range but us having the equivalent but 4 yrs behind... how do you feel about that?

O and they are average as far as physicality, not intimidating IMPO

What 4 guys? Myers, McNabb, McCabe, Ruhweedle, Pysyk? Last year salary $15 million for a dozen NHL points?

How about the Sabres top 4 last year?

Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Weber..... 165 Games....49 Pts.....248 hits.....122 of which were Weber's

McDonaugh, Del Zotto, Girardi, Staal.......160 Games....65 Pts....335 Hits...

The Rangers top 4 are pretty evenly distributed as well. They all come in between .4-.5 pts per game and 2 hits per game give or take. With those 4 you can take up close to 80% of the ice time and not skip a beat. Plus they have Stralman who is an ok defender.

Suffering vs. Playoff runs. That's what we've seen, and that's what I expect to see in the near future.

Chelios, Niedermyer, and Shanahan inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame.

The entire 2013 HHOF Class with no Andreychuk:

@TheFourthPeriod

Congrats to Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and Fred Shero on being inducted into the HHOF.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What 4 guys? Myers, McNabb, McCabe, Ruhweedle, Pysyk? Last year salary $15 million for a dozen NHL points?

How about the Sabres top 4 last year?

Ehrhoff, Myers, Sekera, Weber..... 165 Games....49 Pts.....248 hits.....122 of which were Weber's

McDonaugh, Del Zotto, Girardi, Staal.......160 Games....65 Pts....335 Hits...

The Rangers top 4 are pretty evenly distributed as well. They all come in between .4-.5 pts per game and 2 hits per game give or take. With those 4 you can take up close to 80% of the ice time and not skip a beat. Plus they have Stralman who is an ok defender.

Suffering vs. Playoff runs. That's what we've seen, and that's what I expect to see in the near future.

Well if you are going to compare the Rangers blueline to the steaming loaf of poo the Sabres took last year they will look top 5.

But as for top pairings? McDonough-Girardi?

I think that is a decent second pair, but I am not too impressed with that as a top pair. They seemed pretty adequate because they stayed at home to protect the house and played very boring, high percentage hockey.

Their best defender was Lundquist IMO.

We'll see what happens with Vigneault.

Edited by X. Benedict

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.