Jeff Jillson potential?

LabattBlue

Terry Shei who writes for the Denver Post and espn.com was on WGR 55 this week. When the discussion turned to the Sabres, he stated "I think Jillson has the potential to be a superstar in the NHL".

I watched Jillson at the end of the 03-04 season along with a couple times with the Amerks last year. What am I missing, because I don't see it?

Terry Shei who writes for the Denver Post and espn.com was on WGR 55 this week. When the discussion turned to the Sabres, he stated "I think Jillson has the potential to be a superstar in the NHL".

I watched Jillson at the end of the 03-04 season along with a couple times with the Amerks last year. What am I missing, because I don't see it?

Don't we all have "potential?"

Every player in the NHL and AHL (except Tim Connolly) has at least shown some flashes. It's why they are still around. The trick is to know when to say when. For example...Tim Connolly.

Last poster is right on...I see him in similar situations to the early on career of Pronger.....didnt jell until he matured (hockey wise) and in a setting where the coaching staff ALLOWED him to make the occasional mistake that veterans make every other shift and get away with......Very difficult for a so called two way defender to develop because you have to be good at both ends of the ice...must be simple to just "stay home". or join the rush and be productive but causing a lot of on man rushes in transition. There just many two way guys and there are many reasons for it. Jillson, because he is big and had a physical rep, and now we see he is more a finesse type D, i think he gets a bad rap..in truth, most hockey fans would rather see a Brad Brown type ( tough, likes to mix it up and score three to six pts a season). With the Sabres being his third team, its time Jillson puts up or shuts up...I think Lindy knows this and will give him enough rope to either excel on his own or hang himself with it.....this year will dictate how much longer Jillson plays in the league....we will see early on in training camp, that Jillson is the most skilled of D corps, now the question is, does his skill level transcend to good solid two way play?

Last poster is right on...I see him in similar situations to the early on career of Pronger.....didnt jell until he matured (hockey wise) and in a setting where the coaching staff ALLOWED him to make the occasional mistake that veterans make every other shift and get away with......Very difficult for a so called two way defender to develop because you have to be good at both ends of the ice...must be simple to just "stay home". or join the rush and be productive but causing a lot of on man rushes in transition. There just many two way guys and there are many reasons for it. Jillson, because he is big and had a physical rep, and now we see he is more a finesse type D, i think he gets a bad rap..in truth, most hockey fans would rather see a Brad Brown type ( tough, likes to mix it up and score three to six pts a season). With the Sabres being his third team, its time Jillson puts up or shuts up...I think Lindy knows this and will give him enough rope to either excel on his own or hang himself with it.....this year will dictate how much longer Jillson plays in the league....we will see early on in training camp, that Jillson is the most skilled of D corps, now the question is, does his skill level transcend to good solid two way play?

We should thank Jeff Jillson for taking the time to post. He should really register though.

Comparing Jillson to Pronger is like me saying "if I was good looking and in shape I could be the next Brad Pitt." At this point Jillson is what he will be. A fifth or sixth d-man on a good team. A third or fourth on a sub par team. Which isn't bad. He'll make his money and if he stays healthy he could play for a while. But asking him to be more than that is asking for trouble.

Guest Dumont17
Don't we all have "potential?"

Every player in the NHL and AHL (except Tim Connolly) has at least shown some flashes. It's why they are still around. The trick is to know when to say when. For example...Tim Connolly.

ha

Archived