The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

What a bunch of numbskulls. I read the OP and knew it was authored by by someone who you might describe as not the sharpest pencil in the box. He starts out wanting Chz in a black robe. Judges robes are 90% Bhurkas. That'll make for a fun trial. I say we ask Chz to adjucate this without a robe. (I'm thinking it but not saying, "dis-robed"). I'll plea deal for a little black dress.

OK, I'm wearing one of those horse masks and I'm naked from the waist down.

I'm seeing John Elway as a woman here. Very disturbing.

What a bunch of numbskulls. I read the OP and knew it was authored by by someone who you might describe as not the sharpest pencil in the box. He starts out wanting Chz in a black robe. Judges robes are 90% Bhurkas. That'll make for a fun trial. I say we ask Chz to adjucate this without a robe. (I'm thinking it but not saying, "dis-robed"). I'll plea deal for a little black dress.

I'm seeing John Elway as a woman here. Very disturbing.

There are worse images than a nekkid Sarah Jessica Parker.

At noon tomorrow, if no one has stepped forward to defend Terrence Pegula, I will ask Judge Smell to name a public defender from among the pool of SabreSpace posters (read those terms of agreement, folks). Should no one agree to defend Pegula, I will ask that a summary judgment of guilty in the first degree be entered. I will also ask Judge Smell to compel SDS to cause any enterance of the phrase "Pegula" or "Terry Pegula" or "Sabres owner" or "Sabre owner" to be replaced with the term "meddler."

At noon tomorrow, if no one has stepped forward to defend Terrence Pegula, I will ask Judge Smell to name a public defender from among the pool of SabreSpace posters (read those terms of agreement, folks). Should no one agree to defend Pegula, I will ask that a summary judgment of guilty in the first degree be entered. I will also ask Judge Smell to compel SDS to cause any enterance of the phrase "Pegula" or "Terry Pegula" or "Sabres owner" or "Sabre owner" to be replaced with the term "meddler."

Every time I see this my brain reads it as Judge Smails :lol:

post-516-0-77239300-1367168663_thumb.jpg

Please consider this my application as sketch artist..... PA and Bio, I will give you a free print of this of you would like.......

so great.

Nice definition, except I see no reference to a penal :w00t: code so therefore it must reference common law and therefore be referred to a civil court or a mediator... Actually I think he should step down because he could be charged as a co-defendent and co-conspirator. RICO provisions may apply.

Say whuzza-huh? I styled it as a statutory penal offense. You know--as part of a penal code that doesn't exist, promulgated by an imaginary autonomous government--one where the appointed leader drinks unicorn blood and sh!t.

Someone oughta step forward to defend Uncle Terry.

And, PA, if'n no one steps forward, you will still need to carry your prima facie burden for entry of a judgment. Procedurally speaking, it's up to the judge to determine whether such a showing has been made.

so great.

Say whuzza-huh? I styled it as a statutory penal offense. You know--as part of a penal code that doesn't exist, promulgated by an imaginary autonomous government--one where the appointed leader drinks unicorn blood and sh!t.

Someone oughta step forward to defend Uncle Terry.

And, PA, if'n no one steps forward, you will still need to carry your prima facie burden for entry of a judgment. Procedurally speaking, it's up to the judge to determine whether such a showing has been made.

Your honor, isn't there some way we can take care of this without all that work? May I approach the bench?

I'll defend Uncle Terry. But I want full discovery prior to the beginning of the trial. NYS code 240.20 provides broad discovery rights for the defendant in cases like this. specifically, any statements made by the defendant to be used against him and the specific date and times of the alleged instances of meddling.

Just spit-balling: Meddling: An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. [And so forth] ***(The inish-capped words would be defined terms.)

Continued proposal on SabresSpace Aud Club Penal Code Section 39.0:

(a) First Degree. An Owner*** is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class C Felony.

(b) Second Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Personnel Decision concerning a Player and in the course of making such Personnel Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class D Felony.

© Third Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the third degree when he or she causes his or her General Manager to alter, change, or modify a Proposed Personnel Decision. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class C Felony.

(d) Fourth Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the fourth degree when he or she is Substantially Involved in any Personnel Decision concerning a Player. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class A Misdemeanor.

(e) Defenses. It shall not be a violation of any provision in this Section for an Owner to request and/or receive reports from his or her General Manager regarding any Proposed Personnel Decisions.

(f) Defined Terms. "Owner" means the majority owner of an NHL franchise and shall include his or her team president and any alternate member of the NHL's board of governors. "General Manager" means the person with that title who reports to the Owner in question and shall include all people who report directly or indirectly to the General Manager. "Personnel Decision" means a final and publicly-communicated decision to acquire, trade, sign, release, waive, draft, and/or recruit any Player. "Proposed Personnel Decision" means a proposal on a Personnel Decision that is not yet final and/or not made public by the General Manager or Owner. "Player" means any hockey player who is now rostered in the NHL or AHL, has been rostered in the NHL or AHL within the last 12 months [the Jagr (Lidstrom?) clause], or is eligible to be rostered to an NHL and/or AHL franchise. "Substantially Involved" means any efforts to investigate, evaluate, and/or deliberate on a Proposed Personnel Decision and/or a Personnel Decision.

Buffalo, NY - As the so-called "meddling" trial of Terry Pegula looms, pre-trial machinations may hint at what's to come. The prosecution is trying to establish with the court that a definition of "meddling" exists, but Judge Smell does not agree. Indeed, there seems to be a question as to whether a trial can take place due to differing opinions of the legality of "meddling". While neither the prosecution or Judge Smell have hinted at where this may lead, it is possible a higher court may have to establish the definition and terms of "meddling". Meanwhile, the defense has yet to appear in court to weigh in on this most important matter.

Missed this breathless report.

Agreed Aud, there has to be a defined parameter on the charge so the jurors can give due consideration of both the prosecution as well as the defenses case. I do have a question however....... Will the defendant be testifying in his own defense? If So, I believe a tweet to Mr. Pegula's daughter informing her of these proceedings and offering her father a chance to inter-act with the fan base would just straight out be the bomb, as long as all posters can behave themselves.

Holy shite -- there is part of me that thinks that, if he saw this stuff, he might just sell the team. More likely, he'd just brush it off and drill another well. But, still.

Your honor, isn't there some way we can take care of this without all that work? May I approach the bench?

There shall be order in the court. :P

Judge Smell, I respectfully submit that your definition of meddling is too narrow. A general manager's duties extend beyond personnel decisions, to matters of hiring (predominantly the coach), strategic direction of the franchise, allocation of financial and other resources, and more.

Buffalo, NY - Pre-trial maneuvering continues in the so-called "meddling" trial of Sabres owner Terry Pegula. A significant step toward an actual trial was taken today after Attorney Glass C. O. Emotion stepped forward as Pegula's public defender.

Emotion was unavailable for comment, but his arguments in recent cases suggest he may not be completely loyal to Pegula. In one matter in particular, Emotion lambasted Pegula's Sabres for trading former Sabres captain Jason Pominville. More that one source, all wishing to remain anonymous, are suggesting finances are the motivation for taking up Pegula's defense.

Emotion pressed for time to handle discovery but was largely ignored by Judge Smell.

The prosecution continues to push Judge Smell for definitive terms, specifically pertaining to "meddling" and, today, the scope of an NHL General Manager's duties. In a moment that may herald the tone of the trial, Prosecutor P.A. Sabrefan was admonished for attempting to approach the bench. Sabrefan clearly had a greasy looking manila envelope in hand as he made toward Judge Smell. In an awkward moment, while separated by Sheriff's Deputies on the floor, Judge Smell and Sabrefan engaged in what appeared to be a stare-down.

There was no comment on the pending trial from Sabres President Ted Black today at the Sabres post-season press conference. Pegula has not returned calls on the matter.

Buffalo, NY - Pre-trial maneuvering continues in the so-called "meddling" trial of Sabres owner Terry Pegula. A significant step toward an actual trial was taken today after Attorney Glass C. O. Emotion stepped forward as Pegula's public defender.

Emotion was unavailable for comment, but his arguments in recent cases suggest he may not be completely loyal to Pegula. In one matter in particular, Emotion lambasted Pegula's Sabres for trading former Sabres captain Jason Pominville. More that one source, all wishing to remain anonymous, are suggesting finances are the motivation for taking up Pegula's defense.

Emotion pressed for time to handle discovery but was largely ignored by Judge Smell.

The prosecution continues to push Judge Smell for definitive terms, specifically pertaining to "meddling" and, today, the scope of an NHL General Manager's duties. In a moment that may herald the tone of the trial, Prosecutor P.A. Sabrefan was admonished for attempting to approach the bench. Sabrefan clearly had a greasy looking manila envelope in hand as he made toward Judge Smell. In an awkward moment, while separated by Sheriff's Deputies on the floor, Judge Smell and Sabrefan engaged in what appeared to be a stare-down.

There was no comment on the pending trial from Sabres President Ted Black today at the Sabres post-season press conference. Pegula has not returned calls on the matter.

this is precious priceless. oh lord. If only the real news was this good

ain't it!

This board is great today. I think the skeptics all ran for the bottle.

lol ain't that the truth.. today was a real fun day on Sabrespace. Each thread had a little extra buzz to it. I love you all though, even the glass half full, kool-aid drinkin people. I may not understand you, but i still love you.

Judge Smell, I respectfully submit that your definition of meddling is too narrow. A general manager's duties extend beyond personnel decisions, to matters of hiring (predominantly the coach), strategic direction of the franchise, allocation of financial and other resources, and more.

fair enough. in the absence of a legislature, feel free to revise the language. but i'd be careful -- it sounds like you could be careening into team president territory.

Oh, snap. My bad. What does Emotion want again? Did he made a 240.20 demand?

1. Except to the extent protected by court order, upon a demand to produce by a defendant against whom an indictment, superior court

information, prosecutor's information, information, or simplified information charging a misdemeanor is pending, the prosecutor shall

disclose to the defendant and make available for inspection, photographing, copying or testing, the following property:

(a) Any written, recorded or oral statement of the defendant, and of a co-defendant to be tried jointly, made, other than in the course of

the criminal transaction, to a public servant engaged in law enforcement activity or to a person then acting under his direction or in

cooperation with him; [Ruling: Not applicable.]

(b) Any transcript of testimony relating to the criminal action or proceeding pending against the defendant, given by the defendant, or by

a co-defendant to be tried jointly, before any grand jury; [Ruling: Prosecution has no burden to come forward with copies of publicly available recordings or transcripts of press conferences. Prosecution should, however, disclose dates and publications associated with such recordings or transcripts.]

© Any written report or document, or portion thereof, concerning a physical or mental examination, or scientific test or experiment,

relating to the criminal action or proceeding which was made by, or at the request or direction of a public servant engaged in law enforcement

activity, or which was made by a person whom the prosecutor intends to call as a witness at trial, or which the people intend to introduce at

trial [Ruling: If anyone has a report regarding Pegula's physical or mental condition,we'd all love to see it.]

(d) Any photograph or drawing relating to the criminal action or proceeding which was made or completed by a public servant engaged in

law enforcement activity, or which was made by a person whom the prosecutor intends to call as a witness at trial, or which the people

intend to introduce at trial [Ruling: For the most part, we are replacing "law enforcement" with "media" in these requirements. Proseuction shall right-click for "open image in new tab" and compile any such evidence as part of pre-trial disclosure. Court rules that photographs that include Mrs. Pegula will be afforded additional evidentiary weight.]

(f) Any other property obtained from the defendant, or a co-defendant to be tried jointly; [Ruling: As with the IME reports -- if anyone's got something that belongs to Pegula, let us know.]

(g) Any tapes or other electronic recordings which the prosecutor intends to introduce at trial, irrespective of whether such recording

was made during the course of the criminal transaction; [Ruling: Likely N/A -- unless of course there are non-media generated recordings of Pegula.]

(h) Anything required to be disclosed, prior to trial, to the defendant by the prosecutor, pursuant to the constitution of this state

or of the United States [Ruling: Here's the catch-all. Anything that will serve as material evidence in support of the charges must be disclosed.]

(i) The approximate date(s), time(s) and place(s) of the offense charged and of defendant's arrest [Ruling: Prosecution shall particularize this information for each alleged instance of meddling.]

2. The prosecutor shall make a diligent, good faith effort to ascertain the existence of demanded property and to cause such property

to be made available for discovery where it exists but is not within the prosecutor's possession, custody or control; provided, that the

prosecutor shall not be required to obtain by subpoena duces tecum demanded material which the defendant may thereby obtain.

Your honor, If the prosecution cannot maintain my Client's 6th amendment right to a speedy trial and decide immediately on the language to be used in the charging documents, I move that the case be dismissed.

Motion denied. This thing's moving at lightning speed when compared with how felonies go in County Court.

Also, Court apologizes because, up until just now, Court thought your screen name was "Glass Case of Edmonton."

fair enough. in the absence of a legislature, feel free to revise the language. but i'd be careful -- it sounds like you could be careening into team president territory.

Oh, snap. My bad. What does Emotion want again? Did he made a 240.20 demand?

/snip/

Thank you your honor. I will at least need clear definitions if we are going to the extraordinary step of allowing the prosecution to write the law.

Your honor, I will comply with all discovery requirements. Of course it will take some time. I beg the Court's patience.

Thank you your honor. I will at least need clear definitions if we are going to the extraordinary step of allowing the prosecution to write the law.

I am not writing the law. I am asking Judge Smell to broaden the definition of meddling beyond player personnel decisions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.