The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

• 3 weeks later...

WGR has a new feature in its audio section — "Mike Schopp In the Conversation." I'm not sure if these lengthy one-on-one interviews with sports figures air on the station. I got mine on wgr550.com. The first one? Adjust that robe, Smell... Kim Pegula.

It was OK. The probing was light, and the questions were softballs and often loaded in favor of Mrs. Pegula. At one point Mike is indulging us with his opinion that although most fans disagree with him, he likes it when owners get into the "nitty gritty" of their teams. The example he gave was "coaching decisions." I don't think he meant the decision on who is going to coach the team. More like, who starts at quarterback?

Kim answered (on second listen, it wasn't really a question) by seeming to agree. At the least, she didn't disagree with Mike's premise. It was interesting, but inconclusive re: the subject of this trial, meddling.

"I can't imagine, having spent the amount of money that you spend on a team these days... you've made a great investment in something and then just handing it off and not caring about how that goes, I never understood that... (here she talks about the Pegulas' desire for "multigenerational ownership" and wondered how do you teach your kids the family business by being "handoffish")... I don't know everything... there is a level of expertise that you do need to trust the people that you put in place. But that by far does not mean that ownership should not be involved in the organization and decisions going forward, even if it's just to be informed sometimes."

I think her characterization of how some owners choose to set things up, how I would prefer it, is quite a strawman. I don't propose that my owners "not care." I do find it interesting that at the end, she tells us that the part of being an owner where you get informed and sort of automatically agree with a decision the "experts" have made is the least of what they do as owners. It implies that they are actively involved in making other decisions. If these are personnel or strategic decisions surrounding the teams, welp, I think that's meddling, and I just don't like it.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 years later...

"Shad Khan wants the next general manager of the Jaguars to know he’ll be working for a hands-on owner. Khan told reporters today that he has control of the team’s roster and will retain that control even after the team hires a general manager. That doesn’t mean Khan will be micromanaging every practice squad signing and waiver claim, but Khan sounds like he wants to have final say over who the Jaguars select with the first overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/04/shad-khan-will-be-a-hands-on-owner-in-using-the-first-pick-in-the-2021-nfl-draft/

18 hours ago, I-90 W said:

^ Khan’s son is also very hands on with AEW. They make Terry and Kim look hands off by comparison. 

Had to look up what AEW is. Interesting.

It makes a bit more sense to me for an owner to be hands on with something that's more purely in the realm of entertainment. But maybe it shouldn't (?).

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Had to look up what AEW is. Interesting.

It makes a bit more sense to me for an owner to be hands on with something that's more purely in the realm of entertainment. But maybe it shouldn't (?).

Yes and no. You raise a fair point but I can’t imagine them being polar opposite with the Jags. Who knows though. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 months later...

Listening to Tony Kahn (Khan?), the son of the Jags’ owner, a co-owner of the team, and an apparently active member of the Jags FO (along with other sports holdings), on the Pardon My Take podcast.

At around the 1:08 mark (as the pod counts down in time), Kahn talks about how the end of the NFL draft is his favourite day/time of the NFL calendar because he gets on the phone, “chases” UDFA’s whom *he* values highly and who, he says, his scouts typically have “nothing on,” and he gets great “value” as a result (he crows about how he got one valuable (starting?) player for “$5,000” (signing bonus)).

The more I listen and read, the more I conclude that the Pegulas are (Terry is) pretty average when it comes to meddling.

Edit: Lol. I had no memory of posting the bit above. Tony Kahn is a character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On his last show at TBS, Conan reflected last night on his decision years ago to take his show to that network.

Why did a seemingly unlikely relationship work?

"A guy named Steve Koonin came to me... he came to me and he said I will protect you, I will let you and your people do whatever you want, I'll never interfere and will support you 100%. They did that, they did that in every single way. They never went back on their word."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

On his last show at TBS, Conan reflected last night on his decision years ago to take his show to that network.

"A guy named Steve Koonin came to me... he came to me and he said I will protect you, I will let you and your people do whatever you want, I'll never interfere and will support you 100%. They did that, they did that in every single way. They never went back on their word."

Conan for Sabres GM?

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2021 at 1:21 PM, PASabreFan said:

Was a great farewell episode. I like the quote selection. 

Always been a big Conan guy, went and saw his show live in New York when it was his original Late Show. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Was a great farewell episode. I like the quote selection. 

Always been a big Conan guy, went and saw his show live in New York when it was his original Late Show. 

If Conan didn't make it as a comedy performer he still would have had a successful career as a comedy writer. 

https://collider.com/homer-simpson-conan-last-show/

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.