Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

Yeh, this Superbowl sucked. Even a lot of the commercials were lame especially Hondas... Some good. But overall a disappointment.

Super Bowl commercials have been bad for a while now. There are a few gems, but the vast majority are terrible now.

The Bills would have done better. I have no problem saying that.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...

So NFL Free-Agency starts today, here's a quick rundown of apparent interests the Bill's might have

http://www.buffalobi...26-038f899eae74

The future of Jairus Byrd is still unknown, but with him declining an initial offer it seems more likely that he would sign for more money elsewhere (although Whaley insists there is still communication going on)

My question then is what does this board think the Bill's need to upgrade in in FA as opposed to the draft? Do we target a LB now and save our pick to address another need? Are we content with keeping Aarron Williams at safety and leaving it at that? Do we get a big receiver/tight end now or draft one later?

Any thoughts?

Updates on Byrd:

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 1m

And then there's this. #ByrdWatch RT @NBCdianna Sources say it will be between the Eagles or The Redskins for Jairus Byrd

Jeff McLane@Jeff_McLane 1m

Got this from an NFL executive not in the Jairus Byrd sweepstakes: "Good player, but not clean health. I would not give him a ton of money."

Jeff McLane@Jeff_McLane 1m

Don't rule out Jairus Byrd returning to the Bills if he can't get big money on the market. They'll pay him a fair amount.

Edited by WildCard

I think they should take care of their own guy and bring Byrd back into the fold.

I also think there are a lot of very good offensive linemen available and they should get at least one of them. But they'll be in the bargain market again.

Well we're not totally limited at $22 million in cap space, but we're not going to be able to thrown money around like the Dolphins($38 million in space) or Browns($55 million in space). That being said if we resign Byrd, who was a $6.9 million hit last year after the tag, would probably get something around $7.5-8 million if he came back to the Bills. That's not the highest in the league, which is what he reportedly may get, but a team like the Bills isn't going to do that for an injured safety (plus they didn't tag him which would have been an $8.4 million dollar hit so I assume they want a lower payment)

Here's a list of all safeties and they're cap-hits

http://www.spotrac.c...cap-hit/safety/

I agree with Tank though, I want to shore up that O-line now while we can and make sure 1)EJ doesn't miss half the season again and 2)He feels comfortable so he can develop

Draft a LB in the 1st round (Mack or Barr) and get a bigger receiver in the 2nd/3rd round. I want to see Woods offensive role sky-rocket this season so WR isn't a pressing need in my books.

More Byrd updates

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2m

Report: Ravens expected to be "strong potential landing spot" for Jairus Byrd http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qP8

Edited by WildCard

Well we're not totally limited at $22 million in cap space, but we're not going to be able to thrown money around like the Dolphins($38 million in space) or Browns($55 million in space). That being said if we resign Byrd, who was a $6.9 million hit last year after the tag, would probably get something around $7.5-8 million if he came back to the Bills. That's not the highest in the league, which is what he reportedly may get, but a team like the Bills isn't going to do that for an injured safety (plus they didn't tag him which would have been an $8.4 million dollar hit so I assume they want a lower payment)

Here's a list of all safeties and they're cap-hits

http://www.spotrac.c...cap-hit/safety/

I agree with Tank though, I want to shore up that O-line now while we can and make sure 1)EJ doesn't miss half the season again and 2)He feels comfortable so he can develop

Draft a LB in the 1st round (Mack or Barr) and get a bigger receiver in the 2nd/3rd round. I want to see Woods offensive role sky-rocket this season so WR isn't a pressing need in my books.

More Byrd updates

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2m

Report: Ravens expected to be "strong potential landing spot" for Jairus Byrd http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qP8

You bastage!! You got me. I've only ever seen that on the Bills board

• 4 weeks later...

I'm intrigued by Ghost's attempt to evaluate NFL talent in the way he does, so, as he did in 2013 for his 2012 picks, I thought I'd resurrect his 2013 calls and ask him how he did. A lot of these names aren't known to me, but that doesn't mean much.

QB Tyler Wilson - ARK ..........This is the ONLY guy I see that I would want to hitch my wagon to. He's not the biggest, and certainly not a scrambler, but he is built like a brick. He looks decisive in his footwork and throws, and has great zip and trajectory. And the thing that stands out is he looks like a passionate competitor who always goes hard, but stays under control. So many of the QBs in the drills look like it is a drill. Wilson looks like it is a mission. The guy reminds me of a more articulate Jim Kelly in all honesty....the build, the arm, the pocket hold........I'm not in love, but I think this guy is a 10 year NFL starter. It looks like no way he goes top 10, but he looks like too much of a winner to chance waiting in the 2nd round. If we got him in the 2nd I would be jumping for joy, and he's the kind of guy that could come in and push Kolb to work hard and make him better.

CB Robert Alford - SE Lou..........Has a big smooth gait for straight line speed and a good hip flip and footwork which makes it hard to get beat on long routes because he can close. He also is fast in changing direction from backpeddle to forward, which is key in run support and identifying screen/short game. He's not stout down low and just a tad slight in build. Overall he looks to have the smoothness and change of direction skills to be worth a shot with our 2nd rounder for sure. Not a shutdown guy, but one who can close fast and make up for mistakes. Could go late 1st but don't see him dropping out of the 2nd. Best of the bunch of 4 or 5 mentioned in his general area.

TE Mychal Rivera - TEN.......From what I can see, the tight ends are just dogs. Nobody in the top grouping has the whole package. The kid from Stanford is smooth but long. So instead of wasting a pick up top, this Rivera kid from Tennessee looks like a nice depth guy in the 6th or 7th round. He's very smooth in his running and catching but not fast. He has long arms and puts tons of effort into things, but he is about 20 lbs too light. He looks like he wants it, and his smoothness alone is worth a stab. In all honesty, I wish the guy played hockey because he looks like a franchise defenseman!

WR Tavon Austin - WVU......Wow! I see why his name has been flying up the boards. This is NOT Roscoe Parrish. Easily the #1 receiver off the board. He is short, but built like a sparkplug. He is the most balanced of any athlete I have seen going through drills to this point. He is smooth in his straight line speed because of his balance. He bursts into his routes, and when you combine that with his balance, he should be able to kill guys on double moves. He is also intense but under control and powerful in all his movements. I love this kid and can't see how he drops below the 10-15 range. I haven't made it to OL/DL/LB/S yet, but so far, I would not be ashamed one bit to take him at #8. In fact, we probably have a perfect spot to trade down with someone who wants him...there have to be multiple GM's drooling for this kid.

Rodney Smith - FSU......Intersting WR in the 5th round or so. He is tall, but not built throughout, yet hardly a scrawny guy. He looks to run too upright at times, but he is very smooth for a big guy and his routes look smoother than many of the guys projected to go in the first few rounds. Hands on the run as well. If you can add just a little bit of bulk and get him not as upright so CB's can't jam him, he has pretty much the exact same skillset as Stevie Johnson. I like him.

S Johnathan Cyprien - FIU.....there looks to be some safety depth...this kid is built strong, he has fluidity and can change direction, and looks like he has the range to make plays. Looks aware and another who took these drills like a competitor. Who goes first between him and Vaccaro is a tossup in my opinion as this kid has more upside but Vaccaro is safer.

Kenny Vaccaro - TEX......looks like a calm and confident type who is very smooth and has a good enough build and size to take on the better receiving TE's without needing a corner. Doesn't look like a punisher, but someone who can use skill and savy. Probably a no-brainer as a starter in the league, but not in my opinion something you target in the top 15. There are 4 or 5 guys who look servicable as 3rd-5th round guys, but nobody that really stands out in that range

LB......the top guys didn't work out and I couldn't find anything good......

OL Lane Johnson - OKLA.......after watching the projected top 2 tackles, then this guy....the athleticism is night and day. The only thing holding this kid back from being the #1 pick of the tackles is his shallow frame. It doesn't look like he will be able to add tons of bulk in my opinion, but he has amazing footwork, can move in space, and has great reach. Joeckel looks like a stud, but his finesse game is nowhere near what this guy would bring. Fischer is a mix between the two. It looks like there is no chance Johnson falls to #8, but next to Austin, he would be 2nd favorite in that range. I wouldn't blame a team for making him 1st lineman off board.

Larry Warford - Kentucky......For a big guard, he has amazing footwork and quickness. He is sloppy in build, but stout. He isn't fast but his recognition in changing directions is top notch. If he was built like more of a rock, I could see his name being mentioned from 10-20. As is, he is a end of the first round to mid 2nd round guy. He would replace Levitre's skill set if not better it in my opinion. I'm seeing a lot of depth in the OL here.....you can get a roster player from round 3-5....not guys that will blow you away, but it looks like a good year. More later....

I have Austin as the most dynamic player in the whole draft, so I wouldn't be shocked to think the Bills aren't blowing smoke. If they wait for the pick though, he could be gone and you lose the luster of that pick. If I'm the Bills, I want to get as many picks between 15 and 50 as possible. If you can get the 15 and 45 for the 8, then spin that 15 for the 25 and 55 since you get your pick of the litter of the 2nd tier at 15...that would be my master plan if possible. At 25, 41, 45 and 55......you can probably get 4 starters on opening day if things fall perfectly. If Austin is there at #8......I want him. Hands down.

I don't want a QB unless Tyler Wilson is there in the 2nd or maybe late 1st if you think he's the goods. This draft is very weak at WR/LB/CB/QB in my opinion. The draft is good at S/OL In the back of my head, depending how things shake out, a backup plan this year could be moving Glenn to guard and have Hairston start at tackle. Pears was NOT healthy last year and should bounce back strong. You can find a tackle/guard at 3-5 as well that could hit. In my dream scenario.....with the trade downs you get Cyprien - SS, Alford - CB, Wilson - QB, and Warford - G.......

I'm intrigued by Ghost's attempt to evaluate NFL talent in the way he does, so, as he did in 2013 for his 2012 picks, I thought I'd resurrect his 2013 calls and ask him how he did. A lot of these names aren't known to me, but that doesn't mean much.

[/size]

I whiffed on Wilson for sure....but like I said, the QB class was weak and he was the only one worth thinking about in my opinion. Tennessee signed him off of Oakland's practice squad.

Alford went at pick 60 to Atlanta....was their nickel guy and had 40 tackles and 2 INTs. He's starting this year

Rivera went in the 6th round to Oakland. He was starting by the end of the year and had 38 catches for 407 yards and 4 TDs. He's the starter this year.

Austin did go at #8. Looks like he had issues handling the system and was inconsistent but made some big plays. 40 catches, 418 yards and 4 TDs. He had a return for a TD, and 3 long TD's called back by penalty. A disappointment so far, but Michael Floyd had a slow first year as well and I loved him.

Smith went undrafted and I said he was worth a 5th or so. Didn't play on Vikings practice squad. Whiff so far.

Cyprien started day 1 for the Jags after going at start of 2nd round. 104 tackles 1 INT 2 FF 1 sack.

Vaccaro went #15 and started for the Saints. 79 tackles 1 INT 1 sack.

Johnson went pick #4 to the Eagles. Consensus was he was hit or miss the first half of the year and turned it on the 2nd half. I guess you could see that in the Eagles play and the way McCoy looked the 2nd half of the year...but it's hard to know what the variables are. He did go high though.

Warford went in the beginning of the 3rd round to the Lions. He started all 16 games.

The thing I am most proud of is finding value in guys that are a little under the radar. Warford would have been fine in the 2nd, he went in the 3rd. I said Vaccaro was safer than Cyprien, but they were a push and I would look for Cyprien. Vaccaro went 15 and Cyprien 33. Rivera went late like I said, but still ended up the starter with numbers that rival any Bills TE his rookie season.

The Bills did trade down and had a successful draft. Manuel/Woods/Alonso/Goodwin/Meeks/Gragg. I would have ended up Cyprien/Alford/Warford/Wilson/Smith/Rivera. Different impacts at different positions, but I whiffed on Wilson big.

While I'm looking, I will go back to 2012. The good thing about horses is even if you don't buy them, you can bet on them! It's hard to get rewarded for sitting at home and playing Mel Kiper Jr.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 guys here who I think should be the pick. Hopefully 1 of them is still there at #10, and the decision may be made for you as I find it hard to see both still on the board.

#1 Stephon Gilmore - CB South Carolina - Everything about him looks impressive. Big enough, built decent, fluid in changing direction and flipping, quick acceleration. Looks like he can support the run as well. At the combine, he was much more impressive than Kirkpatrick in my eyes and even looked better than Claiborne. Peterson was amazing last year and I can't see Claiborne being as good of an athlete as Peterson. Would feel much better about Gilmore at #10 than Claiborne at #5

#2 Michael Floyd - WR Notre Dame - This kid did everything right and is built like a stud. He is confident, ran the smoothest cross field pass drill by far, and while he isn't known as a burner, at worst I see him as another Stevie Johnson type. He handles himself well and is smart for a kid who had a few drinking issues. Just a confident gamer with all the tools. I think he is safer at #10 than Gilmore, and you can always go grab a true speed type in the 4th round. He was more impressive than Blackmon in what I saw. You won't have to worry about WR for 5 years if you have this guy. There is a huge falloff after Floyd in my opinion, Just like there is after Kalil with OT's.

2nd/3rd rounders: I agree with Buddy that there looks to be a lot of 2nd-4th round talent at CB/WR. Too bad there isn't a Tackle at #10 I love as I think Glenn/Martin/Adams are bottom 1st at best who will get reached on by someone. I hope it isn't the Bills who reach

In order of excitement:

Mychal Kendricks - LB Cal - Very impressive. Just a pure athlete who brings it. He is short, but has all the tools and is explosive and very smooth in space. His biggest question seems to be smarts and that is a huge concern for an ILB, but his skillset is just so impressive that some team will take a shot on him. If he was 2 inches taller and had an extra 15 IQ points, he's a top 8 pick. Looks much more natural as an athlete than Kuechley who carries himself upright. I could see a team gamble as high as low #1, or teams get scared off and he drops to top of 3rd.

Kalechi Osemele - OT Iowa St. - This guy has the potential to be a franchise tackle. Many are projecting him at G or RT, but from the lateral movement I saw, I don't know why he can't be a LT. His conformation for tackle is almost perfect. Wide, but strong not only in the bubble but up top. He changes direction very well. With good coaching and dedication on his part, he could be an absolute steal in the 2nd round. At worst, you probably get a mauling RT who could make Pears good depth in a year. At best you have a Pro Bowl talent at LT. The only other tackle after Kalil that may have as much upside is Adams, but he is bottom heavy and plays too upright. I would love to take a chance on this guy.

Casey Hayward - CB Vandy - Really nice corner who is very fluid and great hip flipper. Not a power type, but a guy who is smooth enough to be very good in coverage. He has some power and acceleration to him but not great. Would be almost a can't miss guy to play nickle and should probably be an OK starter ala Florence, but doesn't make you drool. A safe #2 pick who I would love in the 3rd if he fell.

Chris Givens - WR Wake Forest - If Floyd is the pick at #10, forget about him. If not, he is an interesting player at #2 and certain at #3. Not big, but he is built solid and very balanced. He wouldn't be the typical #2 you'd look to compliment Johnson, but his skillset and upside would make it worth a shot. I really couldn't knock him except for his size. At worst he is a nice depth receiver that would be a threat in the slot in 4 wides. At best he is starter out of the gate who could get you 50+ catches.

Dwayne Allen - TE Clemson - He is very wide-legged when upright and driving and I do not know about his blocking skills because it seems he is inefficient and losing power. However, he is built very well and was smooth as can be in his passing drills. Because there is only 1 other TE worth an early pick, someone will probably take him early. He could be a McKellar type and would be a no-brainer at #3, but I would not reach at #2 and it is almost certain he will be gone by 3. If somehow you trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd, this is the type of tool you could target with a bonus pick.

Antonio Dennard - CB Nebraska - He's a little undersized, but he just does everything very well. I can't get excited about him, but he has no real knocks. He seems like a very safe pick at #4 and maybe even a 3rd, and a guy who should be a depth corner and special teams player who wouldn't hurt you. Fast enough, strong enough, fluid enough....just not huge upside. Would be a steal if he dropped past early 4th.

4th - 7th Rounders:

Jarius Wright - WR Arkansas - If you get Floyd at #10, this guy is the perfect double-down in the 4th round. He is small but a burner who is not only fast, but quick. Maybe not the greatest route runner, but is fluid in his motion. Think of him as a more durable Roscoe Parrish with higher football IQ.

Ryan Lindley - QB San Diego St - Might be the perfect guy to work with and groom under the security of having Fitz. He is more of a throwback...tall, huge arm, sit in the pocket, not much mobility. However, he is very smart and has an absolute cannon for things like out routes and the long ball. If this was 1990 he'd probably be a top 40 pick. With all the focus on mobility, he would be a very nice project to develop with the bonus 4th round pick.

Chris Owusu - WR Stanford - This guy is VERY interesting. Next to Floyd, he was the most interesting WR at the combine to me. His lower body is powerful and he has the quickest turn of foot of any receiver I saw. Looks like if you can get him the ball in stride, he could break away or make 1st guy miss in traffic. Smart and game, but HUGE injury concern with history of concussions. If he was clean, I would say use a 3rd on him in a heartbeat, but given his history he is another like a QB that you use the bonus 4th rounder on and call it a gift that either works or doesn't.

Andrew Datko - OT FSU - Perfect for depth. Has shoulder issues, but is smart and seems like a game guy with character. He has height and bubble, but is a little light up top. If everything goes perfectly, he is smart enough and gritty enough to have a long career and start in a pinch. If it goes bad, he never sees the field because of IR. If he slips to 6th he is worth a shot for sure.

Who knows where it all goes, but I figure I'd put out the guys I like and will be watching. The tackle position is the toughest to me since it is Kalil or nothing in the 1st. DeCastro is interesting and safe between 10-15 at guard, but really are ok there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilmore - Not sure yet. Was Floyd the better pick? After year 1 no, year 2? Let Gilmore play a year without injury hopefully

Floyd - Was drafted #13. 45 rec 562 yds 2 TDs turned into 65 rec 1,041 yds 5 TDs in year 2. Looks like a hit.

Kendricks - Went 2nd round, pick #46 to Eagles. Started from day #1. Last year had 106 tackles 4 sacks 3 INTs 2 FF 4 recoveries.

Osemele - Went 2nd round, pick #60 to Ravens. Started from day 1 and played T and G.

Hayward - Went pick #62 to Packers. Ended up with 6 INT's rookie year and was 3rd in ROY voting. Blew a hammy last year and played 3 games.

Givens - Went 4th round to Rams. 42 rec 698 yds 3 TDs his rookie year, but 34-569-0 last year.

Allen - Went 3rd round to the colts. 45 rec 521 yds 3 TDs his rookie year. Made 1 catch for a TD game 1 last year and hurt for the season.

Dennard - I mistakenly said Antonio...it was Alfonso...the jailbird. Went in the 7th round to the Patriots after getting arrested. Started on and off the past 2 years with 4 INTs

Wright - Went 4th round to Vikings. 22-310-2 his rookie year. 26-434-3 his second year as a 3/4 receiver.

Lindley - Went 6th round to Cardinals. Got an emergency start in 2012. 0TD 7 INT

Owusu - UFA that 49ers cut and ended on Tampa's practice squad. 12 rec 123 yds last year in spot duty

Datko - Went 7th round to Packers. Practice squad in 2012 but out of league from what I can tell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.