Buffalo Bills 2013

inkman

Lawson is a good signing. Everyone knew who Mario Wiliams was, how'd that work out?

i've come to rely on that buffalo rumblings site (part of SB Nation?) for bills analysis -- the guys who write for it are very knowledgeable (in fact, moreso than i can even handle). the piece on lawson emphasized that he is a fit for pettine's scheme. the new DC apparently wants to run a "hybrid" defense and lawson is a good fit for it. the takeaway was the writer's line about how defensive players for pettine may not be elite (although it's a plus if they are), so long as they are sufficiently versatile.

http://www.buffaloru...-hybrid-defense

on the downside, i inferred that we could be quite bad next year as we work through a transition to a hybrid D.

Edited by That Aud Smell

• 3 weeks later...

Friend told me that Buffalo signed Kolb for two years. I don't know how I could have missed that news. My other friend who is an Eagles fan just laughed. Hopefully Kolb can throw a 20 yard out.

Friend told me that Buffalo signed Kolb for two years. I don't know how I could have missed that news. My other friend who is an Eagles fan just laughed. Hopefully Kolb can throw a 20 yard out.

Kolb can make any throw on the field. The trick is keeping him upright.

I'm sure he'll be more successful doing so here than he was in Arizona, and Philly too, for that matter.

Kolb can make any throw on the field. The trick is keeping him upright.

I'm sure he'll be more successful doing so here than he was in Arizona, and Philly too, for that matter.

Problem is he has Trent Edwards syndrome: while he technically has an alright arm, he's a check down machine.

Problem is he has Trent Edwards syndrome: while he technically has an alright arm, he's a check down machine.

I've heard that a few times.

I'm just not convinced it's not due to a horrible O-Line. I'm interested in seeing him with some time to make plays.

Either way, I still want a QB in this year's draft, preferably EJ.

I've heard that a few times.

I'm just not convinced it's not due to a horrible O-Line. I'm interested in seeing him with some time to make plays.

Either way, I still want a QB in this year's draft, preferably EJ.

The signing of Kolb convinces me that Buffalo will be drafting a QB. Two or less years of Kolb gives way to the next best hope for a real franchise QB. If you look up Kolb in the dictionary it says "stop gap".

• 2 weeks later...

Should we change this to 2013?

Anyway--a few pundits have a prospect named Tavon Austin (I have no idea) mocked to the Bills. And now Whaley says today at the presser that the team is "very high" on this guy. Dude is listed at 5'9" and 175#. Do those vitals ring a bell? They oughta--they're Roscoe Parrish's #s as well. They better get it right at #8 this year--and an under-sized gimmick-play game-breaker ain't gonna get it done, IMO.

Austin is a way better college receiver than Parrish ever was. Not really advocating picking him at 8 but he's a first round talent. He and his teammate were the big reasons Geno Smith looked like a Heisman candidate for the first half of the season.

Austin is a way better college receiver than Parrish ever was. Not really advocating picking him at 8 but he's a first round talent. He and his teammate were the big reasons Geno Smith looked like a Heisman candidate for the first half of the season.

Fair deuce on Austin being a bigger talent than Roscoe P. (Coltrane). Even so--at that size, he should be selected by a team in the latter half of the first round--a team that can afford to use him situationally.

Anyone see Stevie's tweet?

https://twitter.com/...565043815550976

Dude makes me laugh, much like the team on the field.

I know this was tweeted/posted last weak and all but it is infinitely less funny now.

Austin's size is really the only issue. That being said I think what the bills do is hype of the kid than at the last moment trade back to perhaps TB at 13. That way they can draft someone they want and maximize their assets.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160230/article/tavon-austin-gains-steam-high-on-buffalo-bills-radar

Austin's size is really the only issue. That being said I think what the bills do is hype of the kid than at the last moment trade back to perhaps TB at 13. That way they can draft someone they want and maximize their assets.

http://www.nfl.com/n...alo-bills-radar

I read another write-up (from WGR's guy, I think) where it was posited that Whaley's praise for Austin was somewhat of a ruse--intended to motivate another team in the middle of Round 1 to move up to get this guy, thus allowing the Bills to replace a pick that they lost (something Nix repeatedly said he wants to do) and get their QB at a more justifiable spot.

Alright, 2 days away, get your final picks in, who you got?

I think it'll be Nassib. I know Joe B on GR keeps bringing up Barkely, but Nassib not only has the 'cuse thing going for him, he's also got the Jon Gruden Stamp Of Approval, which means everyone else in the media is rushing to say that Nassib is now the best QB, even thought before that it was 'obviously' Geno Smith.

Also, if they draft a gaurd at 8 I think I'll vomit.

It's gonna be a QB. That seems clear. Nassib is the front-runner; Barkley is a bit of a dark horse at this point. But given the apparent consensus that any QB is a huge reach in the top 10, maybe they try to trade down.

The thing that frightens/kills me: The Marrone regime will use a west coast offense, which appears to dictate what kind of quarterback Nix/Whaley can select. In other words, Geno Smith is not a fit with Marrone's ... (wait for it) system. My fear is that Geno and his allegedly "slow eyes" will come into the league, rip sh!t up, and exceed expectations--and that we'll be left to regret missing out on him in favor of a system (and a coaching regime) that may only be here for 3 or 4 years.

Thus is the life of a Bills fan.

:wallbash:

It's gonna be a QB. That seems clear. Nassib is the front-runner; Barkley is a bit of a dark horse at this point. But given the apparent consensus that any QB is a huge reach in the top 10, maybe they try to trade down.

The thing that frightens/kills me: The Marrone regime will use a west coast offense, which appears to dictate what kind of quarterback Nix/Whaley can select. In other words, Geno Smith is not a fit with Marrone's ... (wait for it) system. My fear is that Geno and his allegedly "slow eyes" will come into the league, rip sh!t up, and exceed expectations--and that we'll be left to regret missing out on him in favor of a system (and a coaching regime) that may only be here for 3 or 4 years.

Thus is the life of a Bills fan.

:wallbash:

Marrone's Orange absolutely destroyed WVU and Geno Smith when they met. He totally neutralized Smith. I'd be shocked if a coach who knows exactly how to stop a QB would then use a top 10 draft pick on that exact player.

http://dailyorange.com/2012/12/wvu-quarterback-geno-smith-finishes-college-career-0-3-against-syracuse/

Edited by inkman

The Bills have to be actively shopping to trade down, or to pick a non-QB at eight, then trade up into the 20s.

I think Barkley is the guy they want — maybe even enough to pick at eight — but they would be very happy with Nassib as a consolation later on.

Edited by dudacek

Marrone's Orange absolutely destroyed WVU and Geno Smith when they met. He totally neutralized Smith. I'd be shocked if a coach who knows exactly how to stop a QB would then use a top 10 draft pick on that exact player.

http://dailyorange.c...ainst-syracuse/

Or you can argue that if he is unstopable 90% of the time...and you know how to stop him, it will be all the easier to teach him how to beat the system that has stopped him. Thus ending up with a superstar.

I haven't watched enough of him to know what the deal is but it sounds as if he has all the physical tools.

Don't know where else to put this but I loathe Jerry Rice. He comes across as an absolute dolt. I still don't know why sports networks continue to put bafoons on the air just because they played the game. See Keyshawn Johnson, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Marshall Faulk. I'd put Jim Kelly in this group as well but I'm not sure he was on any national network long enough to qualify.

If they can find a willing trade partner to trade back into the middle of the first round, that'd be the best possible outcome IMHO. So that is my prediction.

I think they'll take Barkley over Nassib, but either would be fine. Barkley threw 6 TD passes against Syracuse last year and 5 in 2011, so Marrone is certainly familiar with him.

Don't know where else to put this but I loathe Jerry Rice. He comes across as an absolute dolt. I still don't know why sports networks continue to put bafoons on the air just because they played the game. See Keyshawn Johnson, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Marshall Faulk. I'd put Jim Kelly in this group as well but I'm not sure he was on any national network long enough to qualify.

I was fine with just TJ and Berman on ESPN. Then they go to 3... then 4... then 5... at some point you just have too many analysts all fighting to say a few words.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.