Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

I didn't love that episode.  It seems pretty flimsy and illogical that convincing Cersei -- who has no army and whom Danerys can defeat pretty much anytime she wants -- of the existence of the threat beyond the wall is so important.  And while assembling the GoT version of the Dirty Dozen for a Northern raid has some enjoyable qualities, it also seems kinda contrived.  There is no reason for Jorah to be there, and it's hard to see why he would volunteer for that mission 5 minutes after being reunited with his queen, whom he loves.  Also, Gendry reappears out of nowhere with Thor-like hammer skills and manages to immediately insert himself into Jon's inner circle.

I also didn't like the first Arya-Sansa scene.  They reunite and are getting along fine, and all of the sudden Arya turns spiteful and critical, accusing Sansa of wanting to be queen and usurping Jon?  And right after Arya saw Sansa tell the Northern lords that Jon is the king?  Again, it seems like unrealistic contrivance to further the Littlefinger-sowing-discord plot line.

The Tyrion-Jaime scene was OK, but not great.

I'm concerned we're going to see Cersei have Bronn killed.

I didn't love that episode.  It seems pretty flimsy and illogical that convincing Cersei -- who has no army and whom Danerys can defeat pretty much anytime she wants -- of the existence of the threat beyond the wall is so important.  And while assembling the GoT version of the Dirty Dozen for a Northern raid has some enjoyable qualities, it also seems kinda contrived.  There is no reason for Jorah to be there, and it's hard to see why he would volunteer for that mission 5 minutes after being reunited with his queen, whom he loves.  Also, Gendry reappears out of nowhere with Thor-like hammer skills and manages to immediately insert himself into Jon's inner circle.

I also didn't like the first Arya-Sansa scene.  They reunite and are getting along fine, and all of the sudden Arya turns spiteful and critical, accusing Sansa of wanting to be queen and usurping Jon?  And right after Arya saw Sansa tell the Northern lords that Jon is the king?  Again, it seems like unrealistic contrivance to further the Littlefinger-sowing-discord plot line.

I mean, Arya and Sansa never liked each other when they were younger. Yes, they were happy to see each other, if for no other reason than because they each are a touchstone to a past life for each other, but eventually those old ways will creep out. They've both changed, but there's no way they can know how different the other is now. Arya says something like "you always did like pretty things", she thinks Sansa is still the old Sansa.

I didn't love that episode. It seems pretty flimsy and illogical that convincing Cersei -- who has no army and whom Danerys can defeat pretty much anytime she wants -- of the existence of the threat beyond the wall is so important. And while assembling the GoT version of the Dirty Dozen for a Northern raid has some enjoyable qualities, it also seems kinda contrived. There is no reason for Jorah to be there, and it's hard to see why he would volunteer for that mission 5 minutes after being reunited with his queen, whom he loves. Also, Gendry reappears out of nowhere with Thor-like hammer skills and manages to immediately insert himself into Jon's inner circle.

I also didn't like the first Arya-Sansa scene. They reunite and are getting along fine, and all of the sudden Arya turns spiteful and critical, accusing Sansa of wanting to be queen and usurping Jon? And right after Arya saw Sansa tell the Northern lords that Jon is the king? Again, it seems like unrealistic contrivance to further the Littlefinger-sowing-discord plot line.

I'm in partial agreement here. The Gendry thing happened at light speed. I think it's a natural consequence of fewer episodes and winding the series down, but was still weird (though satisfying to see him smash in some corrupt skulls).

I'm honestly not sure where they're going with that armistice, except to level the playing field for Cersei when she inevitably double crosses. Speaking of Cersei, I do think she's completely playing Jaime with the child thing in order to keep him loyal, because she feels him not being 100% behind her.

Where I disagree is with that Arya and Sansa scene. They never got along as children, and even when they were reunited, I thought the tone was quite frosty. Them clashing over her rule and Littlefinger is a pretty logical, and dare I say expected, continuation of their relationship.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Certainly it's true that Arya and Sansa didn't get along as children.  But they've both grown and been through so much since then.  And Arya came home when she heard that the Starks had re-taken Winterfell and that Jon and Sansa were there.  Also, I don't agree that their reunion was frosty -- they embraced quite warmly in the basement in front of Ned's statue at the end of that scene.

This episode re-broke me. I can't even try to enjoy GoT as garbage TV. It's not a cheeseburger, it's just bad. Bad tasting and bad for you.

The writing is so bad. The lighting is so bad. The cinematography is so bad.

So yeah. That's where I am.

See, I like this season better than most of the show already.

Does it bother you that much?

Sorta. You've become the Drane of GoT, just coming in and shitting all over something that many genuinely enjoy and what to discuss.

And that's separate from legitimately not understanding why you keep watching something you hate. I got to where you are with The Walking Dead...and stopped watching.

I mean we've talked about this before. It's part familial obligation, part love for the books.

And I have been trying to enjoy it for what it is, but that hasn't really worked out either. I just still feel comfortable posting whatever I feel on the board. Obviously I don't really do much analysis on here. I used to get into why what's bothering me so much is bothering me.

It's mostly that the show takes itself so damn seriously and won't just have fun. Why isn't there any romance? Why do they focus so much time and energy on people talking in rooms, the thing they are the worst at?

I just kinda still drop by here for the same reason I vomit lotsa words into the tv/movie thread, to share my emotional state about something. I'll stop if it's bothering you that much.

/fiLmdoucheqwk

although maybe if it bothers you so much it's because deep down you know i'm rriiiiiiggghhhht

Edited by qwksndmonster

I mean we've talked about this before. It's part familial obligation, part love for the books.

I get the bolded because I've only read 2 books that I also enjoyed the movie but let it go, we get it, you don't like it.

The most disappointing part to me although a bit of me is glad he's not dead is how in the world did Jaime not die??? Really, heavy armor, deeeeep water and Bronn drags him underwater across the whole dang lake/pond and in 3 deep breadths he's back to normal??? I don't remember Melisandre being at the battle and bringing him back to life. That was my GTFOH moment and yes I realize it's a show with dragons so it's not supposed to be realistic. 

Is Jaime not only called the King Slayer but is he inching toward being the Queen Slayer also. He didn't look to thrilled with Cersei's threat to me. 

It's mostly that the show takes itself so damn seriously and won't just have fun. Why isn't there any romance? Why do they focus so much time and energy on people talking in rooms, the thing they are the worst at?

Well, I completely disagree with this. 

GoT has a ton of great little witty moments -- Missandei and Dany giggling over sex stories, Davos teasing Jon for checking out Dany, the Hound busting Thoros' chops for the man-bun, most of Bronn's scenes, many of Tyrion's scenes, many of Jaime's, etc.  Tormund and Brienne check both the romance and humor boxes.  For that matter there is clearly a budding romance between Jon and Dany. 

More importantly, GOT *excels* at "people talking in rooms."  In fact, that is the essence of the show -- not the occasional battle set piece.  It's how the plot advances, and it is extremely well executed.  The show is superbly acted and usually -- but not always, as IMHO in parts of last night's episode as I mentioned above -- very well written.

For that matter there is clearly a budding romance between Jon and Dany. 

More importantly, GOT *excels* at "people talking in rooms."  In fact, that is the essence of the show -- not the occasional battle set piece.  It's how the plot advances, and it is extremely well executed.  The show is superbly acted and usually -- but not always, as IMHO in parts of last night's episode as I mentioned above -- very well written.

Is the bold budding or about to blow up?? With the Rhaegar was annulled to marry another, has Jon gone from bastard to rightful heir of the throne over Dany?? Of course only Bran really knows but does he fess up??

GoT has a ton of great little witty moments -- Missandei and Dany giggling over sex stories, Davos teasing Jon for checking out Dany, the Hound busting Thoros' chops for the man-bun, most of Bronn's scenes, many of Tyrion's scenes, many of Jaime's, etc.  Tormund and Brienne check both the romance and humor boxes.  For that matter there is clearly a budding romance between Jon and Dany. 

I mean, I guess those moments are fun.  Those are mostly moments where the show tells us that people have fun and are real people rather than showing us.  Tormund and Brienne aren't a romance, it's Tormund mentioning how he has a thing for her.  They spent 3 episodes nudging the audience and baiting us with Jon/Dany stuff.  There aren't that many episodes left, cut to the ###### already. Why didn't a single one of either of their advisers mention the possibility of a marriage alliance? They're both adults, why didn't they ###### anyways? What is the point of putting stuff off when we are running out of time rapidly.  The only actual romance that has gotten any screen time this season is Missandei and Grey Worm, who are both emotionally in the same exact place they were the last time they had a scene like that.

As for GoT excelling at people talking in rooms... Yeah I don't think I could disagree harder.  It's certainly what the show spends the most time on.  These scenes are incredibly easy to break down because they are often shot with the least amount of set-ups possible (i.e. to save the most money and time).  The scenes are devoid of the language of cinema, and are usually the camera just pointed at the actors.  The blocking is especially bad. Characters rarely move around the frame and there is very little direction when they do.

Here's an example of the kind of information that can be shared with the audience through the language of cinema.  

The show has a lot of information to transmit to the audience, but they do it in the most boring way: People. Talking. In. Rooms.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Well, maybe usage/non-usage of certain director gimmicks isn't all that drives the determination of whether a show is "boring."

I'd guess the percentage of the population who thinks that GoT is boring is pretty low.

Gimmicks? If you're not interested in film, that's fine. But don't act like the building blocks of cinema are "gimmicks."

Is the bold budding or about to blow up?? With the Rhaegar was annulled to marry another, has Jon gone from bastard to rightful heir of the throne over Dany?? Of course only Bran really knows but does he fess up??

I was wondering if anyone else caught that!!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/14/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-targaryen/

It's strange how some industry professionals take a different view of GoT despite its apparent neglect of cinematic building blocks:  http://www.indiewire.com/2017/08/game-of-thrones-direction-battle-spoils-of-war-mark-shakman-1201864165/

In his “Thrones” directing debut, Matt Shakman managed to upstage series veterans Jeremy Podeswa and Mark Mylod and deliver an hour of television completely driven by directorial vision. Scene after scene, his decision making elevated every line of dialogue and every performance. Simply put, it was the kind of directing that proves why “Thrones” really is extraordinary television.

Here's one entitled "A Breakdown of Why the Directing in Game of Thrones’ Season 6 Finale Was So Brilliant"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/06/29/a_breakdown_of_why_miguel_sapochnik_s_direction_in_game_of_thrones_season.html

Sapochnik brings us into the Sept itself with an overhead tracking shot, which conveys a sense of majesty and scope but also highlights the metal grate in the Sept’s floor, a grate that presumably leads all the way down to the tunnels where Cersei has relocated the late King Aerys’ wildfire. (Attentive viewers may remember the unusually ostentatious shot from “No One,” where after Cersei’s undead henchman rips off a man’s head, we’re suddenly looking up through a grate in the ground as his blood oozes downward.) In the scene that follows, Sapochnik uses both high and low angles to emphasize the Sept’s towering grandeur and the power wielded by the High Sparrow but also to point out how the massive statues of the Seven Gods dwarf the human figures below them. (Height and its relationship to power also play a key role in another of the episode’s scenes, when Daenerys Targaryen steps down to the floor of her throne room so that she can look at Tyrion Lannister face to face.)

It's a good thing we have our own in-house veteran of presumably at least one undergrad film studies course to disabuse us of what our lyin' eyes keep telling us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.