Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

I loved the first half of the scene with Joff's body. Tywin teaching Tommen, when the scene is really between him and Cersei. Then the second half of the scene... Wow that's really different from the books in a really... uh... unpleasant way.

(spoiler for the most recent episode)

I don't understand why they pour on how creepy Little Finger is when they could've just let the murder of Dontos and the appeared involvement in the murder of the king speak for itself.

Oberyn/Tywin and Arya/Hound scenes were awesome.

I loved the first half of the scene with Joff's body. Tywin teaching Tommen, when the scene is really between him and Cersei. Then the second half of the scene... Wow that's really different from the books in a really... uh... unpleasant way.

I don't understand why they pour on how creepy Little Finger is when they could've just let the murder of Dontos and the appeared involvement in the murder of the king speak for itself.

Then the second half of the scene... Wow that's really different from the books in a really... uh... unpleasant way.

I've been hearing similar comments about this. I'll find the episode tonight and really can't have a fair opinion until I see it myself, but... if it's done how I think it's going to be done, I'm really really disgusted. I figured producers would know better by now. Besides, wasn't the book version gut squirmy enough?

Reading the recaps this morning, the funniest part is people upset that Jaime was portrayed negatively.

REALLY??? Literally all of the events of this show were put in motion when he tried to murder a 10 year old. You're upset that it turns out this guy could do something horrible?

More hound. More Daenerys. More dragons.

Reading the recaps this morning, the funniest part is people upset that Jaime was portrayed negatively.

REALLY??? Literally all of the events of this show were put in motion when he tried to murder a 10 year old. You're upset that it turns out this guy could do something horrible?

I'm upset that the producers chose to use rape as a tool of shock value in a place where it wasn't needed. I understand tweaking/editing the book to enhance/unmuddy the visual experience, especially when condensing pages of text/development into hour long shows. But to take a scene that was memorable because it was originally consensual and so much creepier as such and turn it into what they did makes no sense to me. There's enough rape in the books and show, implied and described, for atmosphere and plot device, that to add more is unnecessary, and never the better option.

Besides, part of Jamie's story in the books was how his good side, if you can believe he has one, begins to show through, and you're left to wrestle with the idea of that. I think the worst thing he does towards Cersei physically is slap her.

Also, I miss Strong Belwas. And Oberyn looks like Ovechkin's much more handsome cousin.

More hound. More Daenerys. More dragons.

Less unneccesary creepy rape/######. FWIW it was totally mutual in the book, just was worried about getting caught/being in the sept.

My favorite scenes this season have definitely been the bad-ass tandem of Arya/Hound. That's how to survive in war torn Westeros.

Edit: "in cest" is a filter word? and rape isn't? I just don't get it sometimes.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Jaime's always been a scumbag. If they decided to make him more of a screwed-up scumbag on the show, that's OK with me. The "that's not in his character!" and "but there's good in him!" stuff is hilarious.

For example, I just saw this on Twitter:

The New Republic@tnr 14m

Yes, that was rape in last night's #GameofThrones. No, the show isn't ruined and Jaime isn't irredeemable. http://on.tnr.com/1pnpaYD

No need to click the link. The tweet itself is ridiculous enough. Yes, Jaime is irredeemable. He's been irredeemable since the first episode.

One of the weirdest things about GoT fans is the subset that decided they were huge fans of Jaime just because he starts getting 1st-person chapters in Book 3. Like "Oh, I guess he's sorta good too. Nevermind about the child murder!" Hopefully these people are never allowed on a jury. A serial killer could probably run free if he just showed them a few pictures of LOLcats during his defense.

As far as shock value goes, this is a show where a pregnant woman was stabbed in the stomach and murdered in front of her husband last season (and then he was murdered in front of his mother and then *she* was murdered). It's pretty much what they do.

Jaime's always been a scumbag. If they decided to make him more of a screwed-up scumbag on the show, that's OK with me. The "that's not in his character!" and "but there's good in him!" stuff is hilarious.

For example, I just saw this on Twitter:

The New Republic@tnr 14m

Yes, that was rape in last night's #GameofThrones. No, the show isn't ruined and Jaime isn't irredeemable. http://on.tnr.com/1pnpaYD

No need to click the link. The tweet itself is ridiculous enough. Yes, Jaime is irredeemable. He's been irredeemable since the first episode.

One of the weirdest things about GoT fans is the subset that decided they were huge fans of Jaime just because he starts getting 1st-person chapters in Book 3. Like "Oh, I guess he's sorta good too. Nevermind about the child murder!" Hopefully these people are never allowed on a jury. A serial killer could probably run free if he just showed them a few pictures of LOLcats during his defense.

As far as shock value goes, this is a show where a pregnant woman was stabbed in the stomach and murdered in front of her husband last season (and then he was murdered in front of his mother and then *she* was murdered). It's pretty much what they do.

As someone who is a huge Jaime fan, I think this is a misrepresentation of why he's become popular. I find complex characters interesting, so when they introduced some moral ambiguity with Jaime I didn't start liking him because "oh hey he's a good guy now!"...it was simply adding layers to a character in a way I found compelling.

As someone who is a huge Jaime fan, I think this is a misrepresentation of why he's become popular. I find complex characters interesting, so when they introduced some moral ambiguity with Jaime I didn't start liking him because "oh hey he's a good guy now!"...it was simply adding layers to a character in a way I found compelling.

But you gotta admit seeing him skeeving on his sister is vomit worthy

That was a great episode. I can't believe Littlefinger was the one -- it seems like a huge risk for him to take without much upside.

Also, the final scene outside the slave city was great.

You know it's a great show when the credits roll and you say to yourself "NFW! That was an hour? I wish there were more!"

Yeah, that scene was way worse in the show than in the book (in the book Cersei gets into it at the end. I guess thats better?). But Jaime is interesting as soon as you realize he's not ALL bad. He's NEVER all good. Thats why he's such a great character. And knowing what's next I can see what they're setting up a little bit.

But you gotta admit seeing him skeeving on his sister is vomit worthy

Oh most definitely, I'm just glad the show hasn't been very visual with it...well, until Sunday.

That was a great episode. I can't believe Littlefinger was the one -- it seems like a huge risk for him to take without much upside.

Also, the final scene outside the slave city was great.

You know it's a great show when the credits roll and you say to yourself "NFW! That was an hour? I wish there were more!"

I think this season is off to the best start since season 1,especially for those who haven't read the books.

Not to rehash the last page, but it's amazing that they could wrap up two colorful characters, Daario Naharis and Strong Belwas, into such a lifeless character/scene (killing the mounted champion.) No bright clothes, no cocky attitudes, no "I let them cut me once to keep count of my kills." Ugh.

Yeah, that scene was way worse in the show than in the book (in the book Cersei gets into it at the end. I guess thats better?). But Jaime is interesting as soon as you realize he's not ALL bad. He's NEVER all good. Thats why he's such a great character. And knowing what's next I can see what they're setting up a little bit.

If nothing else, this would've been a great opportunity to see Cersei naked.

Not to rehash the last page, but it's amazing that they could wrap up two colorful characters, Daario Naharis and Strong Belwas, into such a lifeless character/scene (killing the mounted champion.) No bright clothes, no cocky attitudes, no "I let them cut me once to keep count of my kills." Ugh.

Yeah, no one shitting down the throats of beheaded vanquished enemies.... man. We did get a few brief blurry dick shots though....

I really wanted to give the new Daario a chance, but man, he really just comes off as Bronn without the swagger/humor.

I don't think Jaime's character is ruined at all, but that (pretty dang important) scene between him and his sister was. The show does a much better job at ruining Stannis's character. And why is he still at Dragonstone? Weren't they talking in like S3E10 about leaving? At least they give him clever lines.

s2wUAWC.gif Arya getting lost in mushroom soup. I'm really glad Maise Wlliams is growing into a fine actress.

I really wanted to give the new Daario a chance, but man, he really just comes off as Bronn without the swagger/humor.

Daario is a total let down. His beard should be blue, he should be 10x more sure of himself and he should have had more of a proper duel with the Champion of Mereen. Instead he is Brown just like everyone else, his armor, his hair, his demeanor. They seriously need to make him more of a badass then he currently seems to be. I am disappointed how they have portrayed such a lively character.

Daario is a total let down. His beard should be blue, he should be 10x more sure of himself and he should have had more of a proper duel with the Champion of Mereen. Instead he is Brown just like everyone else, his armor, his hair, his demeanor. They seriously need to make him more of a badass then he currently seems to be. I am disappointed how they have portrayed such a lively character.

Absolutely. Daario should make my lady bits quiver. Honestly, he should look more like the gent they have portraying Oberyn. Exotic, dark, the blue beard, a wicked smile. Have a resemblance to Khal Drogo, even. The first Daario was too Fabio for me, the second is monochromatic like a dusty turd left by a horselord's steed.

That scene in the book had one of my favorite lines. ASOS SPOILER

"Find liver and onions, Whitebeard," Belwas said. "Not for now, for after. Killing makes Strong Belwas hungry."

For those who haven't read the books, this is the description of the champion in the 3rd book. This is why our panties are in a bunch.

But the hero did not hide. He rode out the city gates, armored in scales of copper and jet and mounted upon a white charger whose striped pink-and-white barding matched the silk cloak flowing from the hero's shoulders. The lance he bore was fourteen feet long, swirled in pink and white, and his hair was shaped and teased and lacquered into two great curling ram's horns. Back and forth he rode beneath the walls of multicolored bricks, challenging the besiegers to send a champion forth to meet him in single combat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.