Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

I'm enjoying Arya's chapters much less in the fourth book (which I'm in the middle of right now). There's one or two Arya chapters in the second book that are among my favorites.

Both Catelyn and Sansa needed so much more to do. I understand that the setting needs emotional grounding, but giving 2 characters the role of "feels very sad and their life is sad" and nothing else is just terrible. That said, I thought Sansa's actress did a good job in this episode.

Book four? Slow bastard :P

Yea I agree Sansa's actress does a fine job portraying the character...just hate the character.

Other thing! I was really impressed with the CG quality of the dragons. I know it's not exactly Hollywood, but pretty damn good for a TV show.

I thought the Oberyn intro was awesome; fit the character perfectly. I also find myself enjoying Arya's scenes more than I did her chapters in the book. I like her character, but never particularly loved the chapters for whatever reason.

As far as Sansa goes, I'm glad she's miserable. Stupid child contributed to a lot of this--I really hate her as a character. I know she's supposed to be a sympathetic figure, but it just doesn't work for me. She's probably my least favorite behind Sam.

I think Jaime's actor is nailing it. Great stuff and love the character.

Lastly: the previews for next week made me giddy. Giddy.

I love a good Westerosi wedding... :flirt:

Gotta say that was a great opening episode. Sad that Daario was replaced with a new actor, the old one fit the image I had better but the new guy I thought was good. My favorite scene was probably Geoffrey being a dick to his dad, I was hoping for a backhanded slap with that gold hand. All and all a good opening. John Snow still may know nothing but he sure as hell has learned a lot. Guessing sometime around episode 3-4 we see that start to come to a head. AHHHHH!!! There is just so much to get to in book 3 still.

o and the Freys can all choke on a sword, the north never forgets.

As someone who watched seasons 1-3 prior to reading the books, and now has read them all, I'm not sure how I will be feeling watching the episodes now that I know what happens. Just a personal thing, but the excitement of watching the next Sunday to find out what happens I a little lost now :(

Also, I had to go back and check to see if they re-cast Jaime Lannister, he looks nothing like he used to. FFS he's not even blonde.

Also, Oberyn Martell is a total bad ass and will be my favorite character to watch in this season I think. Him and Tyrion and an awesome scene/dialogue together.

I love a good Westerosi wedding... :flirt:

Gotta say that was a great opening episode. Sad that Daario was replaced with a new actor, the old one fit the image I had better but the new guy I thought was good. My favorite scene was probably Geoffrey being a dick to his dad, I was hoping for a backhanded slap with that gold hand. All and all a good opening. John Snow still may know nothing but he sure as hell has learned a lot. Guessing sometime around episode 3-4 we see that start to come to a head. AHHHHH!!! There is just so much to get to in book 3 still.

o and the Freys can all choke on a sword, the north never forgets.

Liger you have clearly read the books. I have a hard time not ruining everything for all my friends by foreshadowing like two books ahead.

Yeah new Daario =/= my expectations of the character, but I expect we will get used to it pretty soon. May have been recast due to his potential for future nude scenes that the old character backed out of. That or just getting a better (?) actor for a bigger role in season 4.

Yeah new Daario =/= my expectations of the character, but I expect we will get used to it pretty soon. May have been recast due to his potential for future nude scenes that the old character backed out of. That or just getting a better (?) actor for a bigger role in season 4.

My biggest problem was that they didn't even try to make him look like the same character.

Original:

thumb_8027-1369060443.jpg

New:

Daario_Naharis.jpg

At least give him some hair extensions and a clean shave for the first couple of episodes just so that there is some continuity. Also, the first actor pulled off cocky better than the new guy.

Edited by carpandean

My biggest problem was that they didn't even try to make him look like the same character.

Original:

New:

Daario_Naharis.jpg

At least give him some hair extensions and a clean shave for the first couple of episodes just so that there is some continuity. Also, the first actor pulled off cocky better than the new guy.

I know, until they referred to him as Daario, I was like "who the f*** is this guy?". And I know the story. Can't imagine being someone who has trouble following GRR Martin's 15 storylines.

Here's my other character issue. Jaime Lannister looks like a totally different person.

Season 3 Jaime Lannister:

jaime-lannister-dark.jpg

Season 4 Jaime Lannister:

Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau-3018273.png

Edit: Looks like both seasons are the same guy. IMDB credits the character to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Nevermind...

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Original:

New:

Daario_Naharis.jpg

Haven't seen it yet, but I still have issues with either of those guys as Daario... where's the dyed beard, dudes? And yeah, at least the first Daario didn't look like anyone else in the show. New guy could pass for random henchman or guard.

Haven't seen it yet, but I still have issues with either of those guys as Daario... where's the dyed beard, dudes? And yeah, at least the first Daario didn't look like anyone else in the show. New guy could pass for random henchman or guard.

Exactly! I thought new Daario was just some random soldier in Dani's army who was getting mouthy. I guess the GoT producers can't imagine a fine lady like Daenerys falling for the guy described in the book. Blue hair, funky beard, missing teeth? Not for that fine piece... The east should look way more exotic in the episodes than it does.

My only minor complaint in an awesome series.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

It would've been way easier to switch actors if they gave him a blue beard in the first place :censored:

I hate how they Christopher Nolaned the setting a little bit. Not a lot of pretty colored armors, no rainbow cloaks, no blue beards. The show is already (one of) the darkest and edgiest thing on tv! Why are you worried about bright colors? X-men first class went back to the yellow jumpsuits instead of boring black leather and it looked awesome.

Also this season will feature the 3rd actor to play the Mountain that rides. I didn't even realize they were different actors in season 1 and 2, but maybe that's because he had like 1 appearance in each season.

Edited by qwksndmonster

It would've been way easier to switch actors if they gave him a blue beard in the first place :censored:

I hate how they Christopher Nolaned the setting a little bit. Not a lot of pretty colored armors, no rainbow cloaks, no blue beards. The show is already (one of) the darkest and edgiest thing on tv! Why are you worried about bright colors? X-men first class went back to the yellow jumpsuits instead of boring black leather and it looked awesome.

Also this season will feature the 3rd actor to play the Mountain that rides. I didn't even realize they were different actors in season 1 and 2, but maybe that's because he had like 1 appearance in each season.

Yeah, the book is so darn colorful. Middle ages dyes WERE gaudy. LIfe was so dusty and drab, the people who had money were guaranteed to celebrate the fact with garish/elaborate wear and embellishments. Any coat of arms/family crest is violently saturated. I really wish characters like Daario and Loras, our flower knight, were dazzling, the way the Southern Islander (xalabar jho, is that the name?) in King's Landing is described (as an exotic bird). I dig the dirtiness, the grit, the reality, but yeah, Daario being a foppish pirate rogue would be so much more interesting then just another dingy guy in dented battle bruised plate. We've got enough monochrome hunks haha

I had no idea there were multiple Mountains. We have a whole range now!

Dying to see the first episode here. Guess I'll have to find a way to find it.

Lol I love checking the reactions. It was about time and I have been waiting for that since I read book 3. All I will say is I would never go to a Westorosi wedding.

Exactly my thoughts haha every wedding is a massacre..I really want to read the books but at the same time I want to be surprised when I watch the episodes like I was tonight. Utterly shocked and excited to think about what's gonna happen next

How did ever like Joffrey being an ###### while the Lannisters smiled and the Martel's and Tyrell's and Stark were all shown with that look of pure hatred on their faces? Hell even Varys look disgusted. You could just see how many people the Lannister's have pissed off and they did all neatly in one 30 second segment of panning the room.

Also Cersei works so hard to be an evil backstabbing thunder... well I can't say the word but man I wish Jamie would pimp slap her with his golden hand.

Exactly my thoughts haha every wedding is a massacre..I really want to read the books but at the same time I want to be surprised when I watch the episodes like I was tonight. Utterly shocked and excited to think about what's gonna happen next

This is my approach too. I've been reading the books and am 1/3 of the way through book 3 -- I'm going to put the books on hold once I "catch up" to the show.

I will say that reading the books gives me a greater appreciation of the show, and vice-versa.

That was a real shocker last night. I'm still pretty blown away. There's also a real "whodunit" that should play out over the next few weeks.

(Please no spoilers.)

Awesome episode. Oh and Blue, I'm 400 pages into the 5th one now, so shush you.

I started getting heavily obsessed with ASOIAF when I got to the middle of the third book, because I was getting beyond my knowledge of events. Now that the show is back and we have such a terrific story to be told in the 4th season I'm even more obsessed. Whenever I'm not studying I'm reading the book. Whenever I'm driving or working I'm listening to the audio book. Every now and then I'll squeeze an episode of the 1st season for a slow rewatch.

BUT WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS HAVE TO DIEEEEEEEEE. :cry: Rest, my sweet love.

I started getting heavily obsessed with ASOIAF when I got to the middle of the third book, because I was getting beyond my knowledge of events. Now that the show is back and we have such a terrific story to be told in the 4th season I'm even more obsessed. Whenever I'm not studying I'm reading the book. Whenever I'm driving or working I'm listening to the audio book. Every now and then I'll squeeze an episode of the 1st season for a slow rewatch.

BUT WHY DO ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS HAVE TO DIEEEEEEEEE. :cry: Rest, my sweet love.

George RR Martin is a dick.

George RR Martin is a dick.

Well to be fair, with the amount of storylines that GRR Martin got to in the third/fourth books, he had to kill off a bunch of them just sp it wasn't impossible to follow. Especially since they are all in the middle of multiple warring regions. It would be a little unrealistic if everyone managed to avoid perilous death.

P.S. to all those who want to read the books, while they were awesome, my experience watching the shows is slightly lessened now that I know what happens. Even though I hate Joffrey. :devil:

Well to be fair, with the amount of storylines that GRR Martin got to in the third/fourth books, he had to kill off a bunch of them just sp it wasn't impossible to follow. Especially since they are all in the middle of multiple warring regions. It would be a little unrealistic if everyone managed to avoid perilous death.

P.S. to all those who want to read the books, while they were awesome, my experience watching the shows is slightly lessened now that I know what happens. Even though I hate Joffrey. :devil:

I was just poking fun at whiners, I love how everyone is fair game.

And I was mourning my beloved Joff :cry:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.