Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

We had a mixed room. 6 people. 2 read the books already, 1 got spoiled.

Kinda ruined the end of my brother's birthday for him :lol:

When I was reading the book I kept telling myself "he wouldn't really do what I think is about to happen, right?" Which was silly to think since he had already killed off Ned, but I was holding out hope.

Oh and for laughs, anyone who has twitter should check out @redweddingtears for some hilarious reactions.

I was watching with several people who hadn't read the books and they kept make all these comments than stuff went down and they started freaking out! It was kinda awesome. Good episode and I think the finale will be fun too. Can't wait til the next wedding in the 7 kingdoms...

Having read the books, I've been eagerly awaiting the "Red Wedding" episode all season. Can't wait to see my wife's reaction tonight when we sit down to watch it...she has absolutely NO idea, hehe :devil:

Oh and for laughs, anyone who has twitter should check out @redweddingtears for some hilarious reactions.

Hilarious!!! :lol:

Edited by cdexchange

Having read the books, I've been eagerly awaiting for the "Red Wedding" episode all season. Can't wait to see my wife's reaction tonight when we sit down to watch it...she has absolutely NO idea, hehe :devil:

Hilarious!!! :lol:

My wife recently has been reading the books. Rob was one of her favorite characters, and one night I knew, from what she told me, that she was going to be reading the red wedding. I sat on the couch half playing on my computer, half watching her out of the corner of my eye. She stopped to ask me something in the middle of the chapter, and I think I yelled "keep reading, dammit!" at her. She was not happy, haha. She said she had a feeling that Rob wasn't going to make it through the series but "I thought we had more time!" lol.

I was wondering what the reaction would be for people who didn't read the books. You didn't disappoint! :P

I haven't seen an episode yet from this season, but thought it ought to be about time to check this thread for that type of reaction... Fantastic!

I'm glad they broke book 3 into two seasons, as I thought last season was to truncated... especially using Tywin instead of Bolton at Harrenhall.

I'm also assuming they'll make two seasons out of books 4&5, possibly 3, but have them run contiguous.

Agreed. They'll have to merge books 4 & 5 [non-spoiler for people who haven't read the books: the fourth and fifth books take place during the same time period but cover different sets of characters]. I can't see how the TV version could give any of the remaining stars an entire season off.

The dumbest thing I read on Twitter last night was someone who wrote that they were glad they didn't read the books because they got to be surprised when the Red Wedding happened. Because, apparently, it's impossible to feel surprised from reading... :doh:

I'm also assuming they'll make two seasons out of books 4&5, possibly 3, but have them run contiguous.

Given the rate that Martin is churning on the remaining books, I think stretching books 4&5 into three seasons would be advisable. There were also rumblings that the show creators had approached Martin about the possibility of a prequel series should the show catch up to the books before he can finish writing the remainder of the story, but I'm not sure if that's gone beyond the tire kicking stage.

Given the rate that Martin is churning on the remaining books, I think stretching books 4&5 into three seasons would be advisable. There were also rumblings that the show creators had approached Martin about the possibility of a prequel series should the show catch up to the books before he can finish writing the remainder of the story, but I'm not sure if that's gone beyond the tire kicking stage.

The best part about reading the books, IMO, is that the story is basically the long-term ramifications of the massive war 20 years ago that deposed the Targaryens and brought Robert Baratheon to power. Each book fills in that backstory more, and the backstory basically gives a ton of clues for where the series is going in the final books. (I re-read the first one when I was done with the fifth book and it's loaded with clues about how this is all going to wrap up. At least, I think those were clues.) Anyways, it'd be really tough to cover the backstory the same way in the series without long scenes of the actors reading EXPOSITION monologues, so maybe a prequel series would work.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but I think this scene from season 1 (and book 1) is huge for the whole series:

You are referring to the prevailing theory that Jon Snow is the mad kings son fathered on Eddard's sister in secret. It is possible but who knows.

ps this means that Jon Snow is actually Jon Targaryen

Probably should have this in spoiler tags, as the show hasn't really foreshadowed this possibility at all :)

Personally I buy the theory. Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love, and their "affair" was completely legitimate, and had a child (Jon). That's why in Ned's chapters there's the frequent "promise me Ned" stuff. Ned promised to never tell the real origin of the child, because both he and his sister knew if Robert found out he'd have the child executed. It also explains why Ned won't even talk about Jon's mother to anybody. Also, Ned's older brother, Brandon, is portrayed in the books as a total hothead and it's easy to see him overreacting to Lyanna being "stolen" without full information, which results in him getting himself killed. And with what we know about Robert and how he loved Lyanna, there's no way he'd accept she was in love with another man. I mean, the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire for a reason. Granted, the title could also refer to the battle between the white walkers and the south, but I think there's a dual meaning in there.

You are referring to the prevailing theory that Jon Snow is the mad kings son fathered on Eddard's sister in secret. It is possible but who knows.

ps this means that Jon Snow is actually Jon Targaryen

1. This should definitely be in spoiler space.

Believe it or not, I came to that conclusion on my own. I couldn't figure out why there was so much stuff about Ned's sister in the first book and why Ned wouldn't talk about the mother with anyone, including his own wife. It all popped into place when I read the Rhaegar stuff in book 5 (about how he was the greatest guy ever but in a loveless marriage) and then re-read book 1 (which has a ton of stuff about Robert's rise to power and Ned's big flashback where Lyanna says "Promise me, Ned."). I really thought I was clever until I checked the internet and found out that it's basically all over GoT message boards (which, apparently, exist). Anyways, this explains why Ned would never talk about Jon with anyone. If Robert ever found out, he'd have him killed (and probably Ned too). Ned can't even tell his wife for fear anyone could ever find out, but holds onto Jon and protects him to keep his promise to his sister.

• 3 weeks later...

I started watching episode 1 season 1 sometime this month. Finished last episode of season 3 last night. I haven't read the books. I'm tempted to but I don't want to know if my favorite characters are going to die.

i'd let Daenarys eat my heart anytime.

Edited by inkman

That site is SUPER helpful, but also filled with landmines if you haven't finished reading the books. It'd be nice if you could filter it to where you've read, or at least which book/seasons you've come into contact with.

SPECIAL 6 MONTHS AFTER THE FACT EDIT: I can't spell, where, not wear.

Edited by sabills

• 5 months later...

OK, so over Thanksgiving I ripped through about 500 pages of book 2 (bringing me to 75% complete) and re-watched a few episodes of Season 1 and am generally going through a mini-GoT-binge.

I got to thinking: which Sabres personnel are comparable to the various GoT characters?

Here's what I've got:

Jaime Lannister -- Vanek

Cersei Lannister -- Quinn

Tywin Lannister -- Pegula

Tyrion Lannister -- Lindy

Bronn -- Nolan

Varys -- Darcy

Hound -- Kaleta

Brienne -- Myers

Robb Stark -- Rolston

Catelyn Stark -- Miller

Jon Snow -- Foligno

Ned Stark -- McKee

Arya Stark -- Gerbe

Bran Stark -- Connolly

Sansa Stark -- Hodgson

Joffrey -- Mike Harrington

Renly -- Briere

Stannis -- Drury

Davos -- Ehrhoff

Gendry -- Adam

Danerys -- LaFontaine

Drogo -- Scott

Anyone got more?

Edited by nfreeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.