Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

7 hours ago, jad1 said:

Dragons have killed plenty of Targaryens, so the reason Drogon let Jon live is uncertain.

Further, Jon being a Targaryen had no impact on the show's plot at all.

Some claim it helped drive Dany to madness, but the last show explained Dany's actions as tactics, not madness.

She burned Kings Landing to show future foes that using innocents as shields will not prevent her from using her Dragon. Tywin Lannister would probably agree with this strategy.

And it can be further argued that listening to Tyrion's advice to avoid immediately attacking King's Landing in season 7 cost her 2 dragons.  At this point, she realizes that delay caused by mercy has cost her power.

Dany had also found her purpose as a liberator back in season 3.  So it makes sense that she would want to continue her crusade after winning the Iron Throne.

She's not mad, she's just determined and ruthless, like several other characters in the show.  Jon being a Targaryen doesn't change this.  In fact she willingly accepts Jon's killing embrace.

Which comes back to the purpose of Jon being a Targaryen.  There is none. It's like it was just thrown in there for (show) fan service.

By the way, Gendry had the best claim to the throne at the end of the show.  Robert, Joffrey, and Tommen were all Baretheons.  Even Cersi gets her claim from being married to Robert, and not from her being a Lannister.  When Dany legitimized Gendry as Robert's heir, he also gained a claim to the throne.

That the writers didn't even recognize this at the council scene shows how the quality the writing has declined as Dan and Dave have looked to move on from the show.

But there was a purpose: it contributed heavily to Dany's mental breakdown knowing that Jon is the rightful heir to the throne, especially given his popularity in Westeros and the fact that this secret was leaked. For those viewers paying careful attention since the beginning, Dany "breaking bad" was always the most logical conclusion to the story. The personality traits required to be a great conquerer aren't the same as those needed to be a great ruler. The fans upset with what happened to Dany's character fall into two basic categories: social justice warrior feminist types infatuated with the idea of any strong female leader regardless of that female's specific character details (see: Hillary Clinton voters circa 2016), and horny males blinded to Dany's faults because she's hot and they want to ***** her (see: Sarah Palin voters circa 2008). I will give all the Dany fans this, however: the plot, the dialogue, and the character development definitely suffered once the show's writers got ahead of Martin's books and once they forced themselves to rush the series to completion for the final 13 episodes. So Dany's complete character arc did come off a bit incongruous and disjointed toward the end.

By the way, this show is getting absolutely MASSACRED on the internet! There's a petition with well over 1 million signatures demanding a do-over for the final season. And check out the imdb ratings for the final 3 episodes, compared to the previous 70.

9 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

But there was a purpose: it contributed heavily to Dany's mental breakdown knowing that Jon is the rightful heir to the throne, especially given his popularity in Westeros and the fact that this secret was leaked. For those viewers paying careful attention since the beginning, Dany "breaking bad" was always the most logical conclusion to the story. The personality traits required to be a great conquerer aren't the same as those needed to be a great ruler. The fans upset with what happened to Dany's character fall into two basic categories: social justice warrior feminist types infatuated with the idea of any strong female leader regardless of that female's specific character details (see: Hillary Clinton voters circa 2016), and horny males blinded to Dany's faults because she's hot and they want to ***** her (see: Sarah Palin voters circa 2008). I will give all the Dany fans this, however: the plot, the dialogue, and the character development definitely suffered once the show's writers got ahead of Martin's books and once they forced themselves to rush the series to completion for the final 13 episodes. So Dany's complete character arc did come off a bit incongruous and disjointed toward the end.

By the way, this show is getting absolutely MASSACRED on the internet! There's a petition with well over 1 million signatures demanding a do-over for the final season. And check out the imdb ratings for the final 3 episodes, compared to the previous 70.

I think it's time for all the neck beards to put their non-skinny jeans on and deal with it. A petition because a piece of art you consumed wasnt to your liking. What part of that makes sense? 

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

I think it's time for all the neck beards to put their non-skinny jeans on and deal with it. A petition because a piece of art you consumed wasnt to your liking. What part of that makes sense? 

The very suggestion that the neckbeards are capable of skinny jeans makes me think you're (like me) one of the olds... but otherwise I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I think basically everyone agrees the show suffered for setting a firm end and a shortened final 2 seasons, while also being negatively affected by running out of source material. But as often happens with nostalgia, fans are forgetting that the last two books weren't exactly masterpieces themselves. Assuming Martin ever finishes the series, I'll be pretty shocked if the final two books end up holding a candle to the first three. 

I also think that hardcore GoT fans are approaching Star Wars fans status, where literally nothing will satisfy them. It's what happens when you spend years hyper analyzing and reading/writing fan fiction masquerading as theories. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Jon Snow abandoning the wall to join the wildlings at the end was a great moment.

Lots of Snow babies on the way.

I’ve been reading the negative commentary here and on the net and while I didn’t love the final season, especially the stupid war tactics and the dumb how easy it was to kill one dragon and how hard it was next the next episode, it concluded basically how it had to.

1) Arya’s training paid off when she defeated the Night King and then her story was over so who cares where she goes.

2) Jon was the only person who could get close to Dany to kill her. His exile was the best thing for him, and she was a great conquerer but would have been a lousy Queen.  

3) Sansa was trained also to be the queen of the North and now is.

4) Cersei and Jamie died together as the prophecy fore told.

5) Tyrion was a lousy hand to two previous kings/queens, perfect to lead Bran to failure.

6) Bran was useless the entire season and most of the series.  Therefore he will be a perfectly useless king.  

I never watched a single minute of this show until the girlfriend and I started watching it about 3 weeks ago. We binged it and finished the finale earlier this week. Overall the quality did seem to decline towards the end and I wasn't a fan that they shortened the final 2 seasons by a few episodes each, but I enjoyed it overall. I was more disappointed in the battle against the Night King than I was about the actual ending but given that I've never read the books and I basically binge watched it over a few weeks I wasn't nearly as invested in it as I would be if I had been watching one episode a week and waiting for years, so I'll chalk a personal win up to procrastination.

• Like (+1) 1

There is definitely something to be said about the failure to write an effective ending once they passed the books. Since the Night King didn’t exist in the books they effectively built intrigue into him but failed to deliver an even remote storyline at the end. The intrigue was with the assumption we’d get answers we never got.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.