Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

16 hours ago, jad1 said:

Agree that the books and show are different.  The writers have played fast and loose with the lore in the books, sometimes to their benefit and sometimes to their detriment. 

The Dance of the Dragons is mentioned in the show multiple times, so it exists in the world of the show, but hey are picking and choosing the details here to make John more special for some reason.

And for the record, the short story "The Princess and the Queen" is a part of the ASOIF canon and details the Dance of the Dragons (The Targaryen civil war, where the majority of Targaryen dragons were wiped out).

In that story, Nettles, Ulf the White, and Hugh the Hammer are non-Targaryens who ride dragons.

So the books have established that non-Targaryens can ride dragons.

When I think about Books versus Shows/Movies I view them as such, they are the same story told by different people at different times. Much in the same way that story your friend tells is different then how you tell it. So for example LOTR, a big problem I have with Return of the King, the movie is that Jackson changed when the Witch King and Gandalf meet and in the books, it is much more dramatic. That said, it's just Jackson's telling of the story, so of course it would vary. 

In GoT the show, these other dragon riders do not exist. Even if they exist in the lore, the show is telling their interpretation of a story and so differences are to be expected. Kind of like playing telephone as a kid. "The cow is blue and gives blueberry milk" turns into "The cow is young, and gives blueberries instead of milk".  Things are heard and interpreted differently. 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, LGR4GM said:

When I think about Books versus Shows/Movies I view them as such, they are the same story told by different people at different times. Much in the same way that story your friend tells is different then how you tell it. So for example LOTR, a big problem I have with Return of the King, the movie is that Jackson changed when the Witch King and Gandalf meet and in the books, it is much more dramatic. That said, it's just Jackson's telling of the story, so of course it would vary. 

In GoT the show, these other dragon riders do not exist. Even if they exist in the lore, the show is telling their interpretation of a story and so differences are to be expected. Kind of like playing telephone as a kid. "The cow is blue and gives blueberry milk" turns into "The cow is young, and gives blueberries instead of milk".  Things are heard and interpreted differently. 

I don't think they're telling the same story.  Both stories are good, but I doubt they'll be the same.  

I liked that episode much more than the season premiere.  It did an excellent job IMHO setting the pre-battle dramatic tension and telling stories about how people would spend what they think are likely to be their last few hours before their likely deaths in battle.

By the way, Maisie Williams is 22.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I liked that episode much more than the season premiere.  It did an excellent job IMHO setting the pre-battle dramatic tension and telling stories about how people would spend what they think are likely to be their last few hours before their likely deaths in battle.

I wish they would have somehow mixed the first 2 episodes into 1. Some of the story line from 1 and the conversations from 2. My favorite part was the knighting of Brienne but the making Jaime and her too likeable makes me believe they're not long for that world. Daenerys is realizing that she has 3 enemies now if she survives.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:58 PM, nfreeman said:

Agreed. I think this episode was the series at its best, with memorable and touching character moments. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to all hell breaking loose as much as anyone, but this episode was fantastic. One of my favorites in the entire series, I think. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

we should do a death draft this week. everybody in it gets three characters who they believe will die next. the person with the quickest deaths wins.

Sign me up! 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

3 deaths 

Grey Worm

Jamie, saving brienne 

Theon

I think Jamie lives for now but he is 100% going to die pulling some hero move like saving someone 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Jaime can't die! He's my bet to kill Cersei. 

I mean it's either him or Tyrion according to the prophecy right?

guys i didn’t mean pick your own lol we’d have to set a draft order and then we each pick on in a snake draft setting until everyone has three.

who all wants in?

me and trueblue. do the others that made “picks” above want in?

Just now, Hoss said:

guys i didn’t mean pick your own lol we’d have to set a draft order and then we each pick on in a snake draft setting until everyone has three.

who all wants in?

me and trueblue. do the others that made “picks” above want in?

In

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.