Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

6 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Episode 1 was a little off IMO but somewhat necessary to get everything lined up.

The dragon riding stuff was lame and totally out of keeping with the books.  Also thought Jon Snow learned of his correct lineage way too quickly and hurriedly.  That should have been more powerfully delivered/set up. 

I think Episode 2 will be better. 

It has been set up for 8 years and 5 books. 

We are far beyond the books at this point so not sure how you can claim the dragon riding was out of keeping. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It has been set up for 8 years and 5 books. 

We are far beyond the books at this point so not sure how you can claim the dragon riding was out of keeping. 

The fact that only a Targaryen can ride a dragon escaped him. 

I enjoyed last night's episode but didn't love it.

There were some great moments -- e.g. when Sansa and Tyrion were discussing Joffrey's wedding and Sansa said "it had its moments" -- that was outstanding -- but I thought a few of the reunion scenes were a bit rushed and cliched, like Sansa-Tyrion and Arya-Hound-Gendry.

Glad it's back though.

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I enjoyed last night's episode but didn't love it.

There were some great moments -- e.g. when Sansa and Tyrion were discussing Joffrey's wedding and Sansa said "it had its moments" -- that was outstanding -- but I thought a few of the reunion scenes were a bit rushed and cliched, like Sansa-Tyrion and Arya-Hound-Gendry.

Glad it's back though.

Keep in mind that this is the end game. There’s not much value in developing characters and plot lines beyond moving everything to its ultimate conclusion.

I’ll give the episode a 5/10. I expected no action because there’s a lot to setup but it was almost entirely useless. Honestly would’ve been a 2 or 3 if it weren’t for the “it had its moments” comment and the encounter at the very end.

The Dragon riding was corny as hell. Honestly some scenes had week CGI (the scene where Jon is getting ready to get on the dragon was really poorly edited). The reunions were all bland.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Keep in mind that this is the end game. There’s not much value in developing characters and plot lines beyond moving everything to its ultimate conclusion. 

This is fair, but IMHO it doesn't excuse the issues that bothered me.  I think one of the strengths of the show historically has been the realism and the nuances that manifest in the conversation scenes -- i.e. it's been great for the stuff that isn't just dragons and battles -- and I felt that some of those scenes didn't live up to that standard. 

E.g. Sansa and Tyrion were married, went through a lot together and had generally positive feelings for each other.  It struck me as a standard TV show cliche that, in their first meeting since Joffrey's wedding, they would have a one-minute conversation that ended with Sansa telling him that she used to think he was smart, but now she thinks he's dumb, and then walking out of the room.

I expected quite a bit more from that scene, as I did from Arya-Hound, who also went through a lot together.  And I think the will-he-or-won't-he plotline with Bronn will turn out to be kinda lame too.

So yes, you're right that they need to move everything along, and there simply isn't time for lengthier expositions in these scenes -- but no one put a gun to their heads and told them they needed to wrap it up in 6 freaking episodes.  They created a situation in which they have to rush through everything, and I think the qualities that made the show great have taken a hit (and I thought this last year too).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’ll give the episode a 5/10. I expected no action because there’s a lot to setup but it was almost entirely useless. Honestly would’ve been a 2 or 3 if it weren’t for the “it had its moments” comment and the encounter at the very end.

The Dragon riding was corny as hell. Honestly some scenes had week CGI (the scene where Jon is getting ready to get on the dragon was really poorly edited). The reunions were all bland.

IDK, besides the Sansa Tyrion line that was pretty good, I really liked Arya an Jon's, as well as Dany and Sam's meeting.

The hype of Episode 1 was as high as I can ever remember feeling for any Season Premiere of any show, so it is natural that it let us down a bit.

One thing to keep in mind is how rare great shows end well: Breaking Bad to me was one of the few that nailed the ending almost flawlessly.

Ill reserve judgement on Episode 1 to see how it sets up Episode 2,3 etc.

I stopped reading and watching trailers the month before the premier. I have found that getting overhyped leads to disappointment so I would rather just take it as it comes. There's tons of new content after episode 1 interpreting what will happen. I am going to pass on that info and just enjoy the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just an observation on the GoT as a whole.  

It’s really just the story of the Stark family and which Stark ends up on top in the end. 

Jon - half Stark half Targaryen is the peacemaker, leader and his cousins are ultimately his advisors/agents

Sansa is the brains and strength, but she is married to Tyrion Lannister.  

Bran is the seer (Night King?)

Arya the assassin

even Theon Greyjoy (a Stark ward) is coming home.  

Bottomeline: Is there are 3 Starks that could end up “winning” the Game Of Thrones; Jon, Sansa or Bran as the Night King.  I’m betting on Sansa.

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I stopped reading and watching trailers the month before the premier. I have found that getting overhyped leads to disappointment so I would rather just take it as it comes. There's tons of new content after episode 1 interpreting what will happen. I am going to pass on that info and just enjoy the season. 

I read nothing and watched zero trailers was still let down. But really it’s not unexpected. I still think the season is going to be great.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I read nothing and watched zero trailers was still let down. But really it’s not unexpected. I still think the season is going to be great.

I’m with you Hoss I stayed of anything GoT related to this season so I wouldn’t get to hyped. The episode was just a setup for the season. Not bad not good they gave up just the tip to see if we like it. 

6 minutes ago, bobs0108 said:

I’m with you Hoss I stayed of anything GoT related to this season so I wouldn’t get to hyped. The episode was just a setup for the season. Not bad not good they gave up just the tip to see if we like it. 

I never watched trailers or teasers or read anything promoting something I know I’m going to watch. Too many spoilers in everything. A trailer is a spoiler.

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I never watched trailers or teasers or read anything promoting something I know I’m going to watch. Too many spoilers in everything. A trailer is a spoiler.

100% Agree I want to be surprised with everything.  

4 hours ago, jad1 said:

Not true.  There were non-Targaryen dragon riders during the Dance of the Dragons (the civil war, not the book). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-season-8-premiere-dragon-jon-snow.amp.html

Just now, sabills said:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonrider#Known_dragonriders

There are some non-Targaryan riders, but they're all either Velaryons or bastards of either the Targaryans or the Velaryons.

Basically, you have to have the blood of old Valyria to ride a dragon (so far in the canon)

The show deviates from the books, as I’m sure you know. One of the writers made this change for the show. 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/arts/television/game-of-thrones-season-8-premiere-dragon-jon-snow.amp.html

The show deviates from the books, as I’m sure you know. One of the writers made this change for the show. 

Oh sure, I was responding to Jad who mentioned non-Targaryon riders during The Dance of Dragons in the books.

And, to be fair,  even in the books we don't know if noone else CAN, just that noone else HAS.

Edited by sabills

1 hour ago, sabills said:

Oh sure, I was responding to Jad who mentioned non-Targaryon riders during The Dance of Dragons in the books.

And, to be fair,  even in the books we don't know if noone else CAN, just that noone else HAS.

Agree that the books and show are different.  The writers have played fast and loose with the lore in the books, sometimes to their benefit and sometimes to their detriment. 

The Dance of the Dragons is mentioned in the show multiple times, so it exists in the world of the show, but hey are picking and choosing the details here to make John more special for some reason.

And for the record, the short story "The Princess and the Queen" is a part of the ASOIF canon and details the Dance of the Dragons (The Targaryen civil war, where the majority of Targaryen dragons were wiped out).

In that story, Nettles, Ulf the White, and Hugh the Hammer are non-Targaryens who ride dragons.

So the books have established that non-Targaryens can ride dragons.

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Agree that the books and show are different.  The writers have played fast and loose with the lore in the books, sometimes to their benefit and sometimes to their detriment. 

The Dance of the Dragons is mentioned in the show multiple times, so it exists in the world of the show, but hey are picking and choosing the details here to make John more special for some reason.

And for the record, the short story "The Princess and the Queen" is a part of the ASOIF canon and details the Dance of the Dragons (The Targaryen civil war, where the majority of Targaryen dragons were wiped out).

In that story, Nettles, Ulf the White, and Hugh the Hammer are non-Targaryens who ride dragons.

Nerd!

16 hours ago, jad1 said:

According to that wiki, all three, while not true Targaryens or Velaryons, they are all "dragonseed"(GODS was I trying to avoid typing that out), meaning they were Targ/Vel bastards: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonseed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.