The other sports thread

Eleven

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

All these Expos references make me think we're suddenly the biggest failure from the Adams division.  Both the Whalers and the Nordiques suddenly have cup wins.  Apparently the Senators were in the Adams for one year and hey, even they have one.

Pittsburgh was in there for a year or two as well, towards the end.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

If you had told me Max would only go five I’d say there’s no way they win. This is a special team. Stras needs to steal one tonight. 

It's Strasburg.  It won't be a "steal" if he gets the W.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I think it may have been the northeast division at that point.  This is where we need @Taro T to chime in.  He always seems to have those details.

Yep.  Bettman killed the classic division and conference names after the '92-'93 season.  Pittsburgh joined the newly realigned NE division in '93-'94.

And s'pose you can include the Stars in your and 11's lamentations as they were Adams division after the Barons merged with them in '78-'79.  But considering they've never WON a Stanley Cup, they could be disqualified on a technicality. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Bettman killed the classic division and conference names after the '92-'93 season.  Pittsburgh joined the newly realigned NE division in '93-'94.

And s'pose you can include the Stars in your and 11's lamentations as they were Adams division after the Barons merged with them in '78-'79.  But considering they've never WON a Stanley Cup, they could be disqualified on a technicality. ?

Already done...

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Wow. It’s been a long time since I felt like this because of a sports team. 

Same.  I've been invested in this team for forty years. I'm not as into baseball as I was as a kid, but wow, this feels good.  (The Buffalonian in me still suffers from skepticism though.)

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

OU, ND, and the Nats.  All in the same day.   And I go to Mass daily.  Kids, next time you see a wide receiver try to credit God with a touchdown, please remember that it’s BS.  God does not micromanage touchdowns.

I didn’t realize you were also a ND fan. Losing to Michigan always hurts. There’s no words for a loss like that. At least we’ve got the Nats with Mad Max our there tonight. As much of a must win as there ever was. 

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

I didn’t realize you were also a ND fan. Losing to Michigan always hurts. There’s no words for a loss like that. At least we’ve got the Nats with Mad Max our there tonight. As much of a must win as there ever was. 

I am a very, VERY casual ND fan.  Same goes for OU. (In fact, I'll root for Nebraska against OU all day long, but Nebraska killed its program when it switched conferences.) 

If I had grown up in a place with serious college football program, I might have cared more.  But, luckily, I grew up in NYS, where the public schools seem to* emphasize education over football.

*2015, UB had to subsidize football with $15M plus. And that doesn't account for the sports that lose even more money.

Oh BOO hoo hoo to the Tampa Bay fans, then BOO HOO hoo to the ny yankee fans and now BOO HOO HOO to the Nats fans. Take that Oh oh oh oh oh oh and baby shark clap and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. GO ASTROS....... WooooooooHoooooooo.