The other sports thread

Eleven

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Rondo is still a useful backup PG. What he was in Boston is irrelevant because he’s getting small, one-year contracts. On continuous one-year deals he’s a good fit. He also showed he’s still capable of changing an entire game from time to time last year, as well.

The game in Boston where he hit the game winner is a good example. There was a stretch of five or six possessions where he was the best player on the floor making the smartest plays. We all know LeBron could use more smart players around him (especially with reporters JR Smith is likely to join him in LA).

And yes, LeBron is the GOAT.

Holy hell, I missed that. So, back to my original Lakers management kinda sucks hypothesis...

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He won't now, IMO, especially since Magic quit the team.  There is something not quite right in Laker land.  Not to mention LA is basically a desert with no lakes to speak of, so it is lame that they kept the name when they abandoned Mini.  

Anyway, I think Kawhi wants a chance to prove that this Raptor championship was not a fluke and will sign a 1 + 1 deal with Toronto.  It is unlikely that GS will make it back to the final next season.  He wants a chance to show that anyone saying injuries played a big role, which it may have, but I still say the way the Raptors were playing in the final they beat a full strength GS team.

I think it's even money he stays in Toronto for another year. But I definitely don't think Toronto beats a healthy Warriors. And that's not a knock on Toronto, just reverence for how good the Warriors were at their peak. 

The world has passed me by.

A few years ago, a friend and I watched some World Cup Soccer.  He is among the learned and shared his knowledge.  It was awesome.  I now peek in, from time to time, to watch a sport that used to make me yawn.  Awesome ..

I watched the US Women, today.  At a tiki bar.  On Casey Key.  With big tasty drinks.  Near Dolphins.  In the sun.  Life’s good.

I wanted to see joy.  I’d seen video of choreographed celebrations in 13-0 wins over Thailand.  Yes, Thailand.  I’d read about f-bombs dropped and the Presidency dissed.  I know, I know, every event’s a movement and every utterance is an insight.  Today, I watched Ms. Morgan mimic tea sipping, unaware that she’d created  joy, herself, and needn’t strip any from her opponent in order to feel good.   I feel bad for her.   I’m yawning, again.

I thought back to the Miracle on Ice team after the final buzzer in Lake Placid.  The world was no prettier, or easier, then.  I really liked those young men.  I liked the Soviets, too, as they patiently waited for the celebration to end so they could shake hands and honor the victors.

I was born a long time ago.  I’m glad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Neo said:

A few years ago, a friend and I watched some World Cup Soccer.  He is among the learned and shared his knowledge.  It was awesome.  I now peek in, from time to time, to watch a sport that used to make me yawn.  Awesome ..

I watched the US Women, today.  At a tiki bar.  On Casey Key.  With big tasty drinks.  Near Dolphins.  In the sun.  Life’s good.

I wanted to see joy.  I’d seen video of choreographed celebrations in 13-0 wins over Thailand.  Yes, Thailand.  I’d read about f-bombs dropped and the Presidency dissed.  I know, I know, every event’s a movement and every utterance is an insight.  Today, I watched Ms. Morgan mimic tea sipping, unaware that she’d created  joy, herself, and needn’t strip any from her opponent in order to feel good.   I feel bad for her.   I’m yawning, again.

I thought back to the Miracle on Ice team after the final buzzer in Lake Placid.  The world was no prettier, or easier, then.  I really liked those young men.  I liked the Soviets, too, as they patiently waited for the celebration to end so they could shake hands and honor the victors.

I’ve typed and deleted about five replies to this.  

I’ll leave it here, as an English person I follow put it: “It’s just bantz (banter in American) mate...”

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Megan Rapinoe didn’t diss the presidency. She dissed the president. Important distinction.

Also, Alex Morgan was having fun and not taking away from anyone. She just did an English gesture in a non-insulting way. I thought it was clever. Good for her. Good for the Americans. ***** Piers Morgan. And ***** Donald Trump.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved the countdown by the fans to trigger the runup and start of the U.S.-France (?) game. Is there any reason the opening faceoffs in the NHL couldn't work the same way? Add some fun and fan engagement. Of course the refs would have to agree to just drop the friggen' puck and not issue any violations that would force a re-do (barring something egregious). Also, of course, the league would have to remove the stick from its posterior.

Or... if you really wanna go nuts. Have the same countdown with the puck placed on the dot and the centers locked and loaded at their own blue lines. Go get it, boys!

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I loved the countdown by the fans to trigger the runup and start of the U.S.-France (?) game. Is there any reason the opening faceoffs in the NHL couldn't work the same way? Add some fun and fan engagement. Of course the refs would have to agree to just drop the friggen' puck and not issue any violations that would force a re-do (barring something egregious). Also, of course, the league would have to remove the stick from its posterior.

Or... if you really wanna go nuts. Have the same countdown with the puck placed on the dot and the centers locked and loaded at their own blue lines. Go get it, boys!

Now, I really think you are trolling with this post.  You know full well that we like to keep the football discussion confined to the Soccer Club and off the main board, eh?

(insert winkie-winkie thingie here ------->)

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I think your suggestion would be fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He was. There’s photos of him getting off it.

The reports I am hearing is that it was hard to tell exactly who it was, but I would be shocked if it were not him.

Everyone on the plane were driven directly to a downtown hotel where the Raptors executives were seen entering earlier.

I think there will be an announcement tomorrow morning that he has signed for 2 years with the Raptors.  That would put him at his 10 years of service when he can get his max - max - max deal.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The reports I am hearing is that it was hard to tell exactly who it was, but I would be shocked if it were not him.

Everyone on the plane were driven directly to a downtown hotel where the Raptors executives were seen entering earlier.

I think there will be an announcement tomorrow morning that he has signed for 2 years with the Raptors.  That would put him at his 10 years of service when he can get his max - max - max deal.

But not supermax, sadly, for Kawhi. He’s not eligible for that one.

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

In 2 years won't he be?  I thought I heard he would be after 10 years service.

Supermax contracts are only for players who are with the team that drafted them or who were traded while on their rookie contract. He doesn’t fulfill either of those.

There are other requirements but that’s the only one he doesn’t fit. Same reason KD couldn’t get it in Golden State.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Joey Chesnut won his 12th Nathan’s hot dog eating contest.  He ate 71 hot dogs in 10 minutes!  At the 5 minute mark he was on pace for 90.  2nd place only had 50.  Gotta love 4th of July traditions, huh?  

Wow!  

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have not heard any confirmation of this.  Do you have a link, or is your source the same dude as Pi's?

Just that the odds moving that much usually means that someone knows something.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPre said:

Joey Chesnut won his 12th Nathan’s hot dog eating contest.  He ate 71 hot dogs in 10 minutes!  At the 5 minute mark he was on pace for 90.  2nd place only had 50.  Gotta love 4th of July traditions, huh?  

Wow!  

I doubt I’ve had 71 hot dogs total over the past ten years. And I’m not saying that as someone who hates hot dogs either. I’ll gladly throw a couple on the grill when the wife isn’t home at dinner time. 

21 hours ago, GoPre said:

Wow!  

Murrica, F Yeah!

murica.jpg

21 hours ago, GoPre said:

Wow!  

That's just so gross.