The other sports thread

Eleven

Several hundred thousand, some say a million, people gathered for the Raptors parade and rally.  And 4 people shot, what a crazy place.

The Warriors showed great class by taking out a full page ad in the Toronto Star.  The photo was from the aftermath of game 6 when Curry hugged Lowry.  Some very nice words too.  Sorry, no link, but it is out there in the twittersphere.

It would be a mistake on his part if Kahwi does not sign in Toronto.

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Several hundred thousand, some say a million, people gathered for the Raptors parade and rally.  And 4 people shot, what a crazy place.

The Warriors showed great class by taking out a full page ad in the Toronto Star.  The photo was from the aftermath of game 6 when Curry hugged Lowry.  Some very nice words too.  Sorry, no link, but it is out there in the twittersphere.

It would be a mistake on his part if Kahwi does not sign in Toronto.

Just when you canadians have a chance to prove you're better than us, you go and worship bouncyball too.  You blew your shot, canada.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

There are approximately 37 million Raptor fans in Canada right now.

There's nothing like taking national pride from watching a bunch of american guys win a game.  It reminds me of the classic moment of bruins fans chanting USA at the habs in the playoffs even though the only americans on the ice were wearing the blue, white, red (nice coincidence on the color scheme).

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's nothing like taking national pride from watching a bunch of american guys win a game.  It reminds me of the classic moment of bruins fans chanting USA at the habs in the playoffs even though the only americans on the ice were wearing the blue, white, red (nice coincidence on the color scheme).

It seems that there actually is a Canadian on the active Raptor roster, but I get what you mean.

I don't think anyone is thinking about it atol.

23 hours ago, French Collection said:

Two Africans and a Spaniard are on the team.

Two Africans (Siakam, Ibaka), a Spaniard (Gasol), a Canadian (Boucher), an Englishman (Anunoby) by birth. Kawhi associates closely with his family heritage which is Cape Town. Jeremy Lin associates closely with his Asian heritage.

• Like (+1) 1

In order to distance myself from the bitterness of the Sabres' season, put away my anger at Botterill's inaction during the season, and avoid going crazy over the Conn Smythe winner, I decided to watch a lot of hockey and kinda-hockey since the day after the SCF:

• Old Sabres reruns;
  • The International Street and Ball Hockey Federation's 2018 Masters World Championship;
  • The 2019 Federation of International Bandy World Championship;
  • The Fédération Internationale de Hockey World Cup 2018 Final.

At least it kept me from chanting, "Ooh!  Aah!  Sabres on the golf course!"

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I didn't know that Jeremy Lin(sanity) was on the active roster for the Raptors.  He has been through so much.  Glad he has a championship to his credit.

Absolutely. I’ve always rooted for the Raptors and Knicks and watching Linsanity was one of the highlights of my sports fandom. It’s not like it was just a fluke. He set records. And he just kept going.

He’s settled very well into a backup PG role now.

Sure sounds like baseball is returning to Montreal https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/sources-rays-explore-playing-montreal

The Tampa Bay Rays received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

Edited by WildCard

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That would suck for current STH's but it would be awesome to see, especially if the stadium in Montreal was an outdoor one. I don't think I've ever seen a baseball game in the snow.

5 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

That would suck for current STH's but it would be awesome to see, especially if the stadium in Montreal was an outdoor one. I don't think I've ever seen a baseball game in the snow.

The Rockies have snow once or twice a year

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The NBA will no longer be using the word 'owner' to describe...owners, but will instead call them 'governors' 

In actual news, Kevin Durant turns down his $31M player option to explore FA

Point #1 ... whatever.

Point #2 ... of course, that is normal.  Leonard will turn his down too (I think tomorrow is the deadline to do so).

I expect that both will sign with their respective teams before FA starts on June 30th.  I also think that both will go max - max, although Durant may not go max - max with GS.  

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Point #1 ... whatever.

Point #2 ... of course, that is normal.  Leonard will turn his down too (I think tomorrow is the deadline to do so).

I expect that both will sign with their respective teams before FA starts on June 30th.  I also think that both will go max - max, although Durant may not go max - max with GS.  

If I had to guess I think Kawhi ends up with the Clippers. I have no idea what to make of Durant. I was very sure he'd go to NY or Brooklyn before the injury. Now, I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Can't believe the Nets actually pulled it off. Durant, Kyrie, and Jordan? Assuming Durant can return to form (not a given with an achillies injury), they'll be a lot of fun to watch. 

Is Kyrie that much of an improvement over DeAngelo?

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

No, but I don't think they had the cap space to add Durant and Jordan if they had to give Russell the max. 

I honestly kinda hate that combo of players. I don't think they'll be good, at all. Just not a good fit.