The other sports thread

Eleven

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll never understand how anyone thinks LeBron is disingenuous. He's a legitimately good dude, good father and husband, does a ton for charity including funding a public school to help underprivileged kids get to college. The collapsing to the court crying after bringing Cleveland a title? If that was fake, he's among the greatest actors of all time. And so on. 

Everything he does is for attention.

He freaking congratulated himself on 30k points, before he even hit it, with one of the lamest instagram posts I've ever seen http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22189308/lebron-james-congratulates-30k-points-gets-it

That's not the only time he's done that by the way. He did it again, about his career accomplishments, after a big loss this season, after a post game presser claiming some of his teammates were distracted by other stuff https://thespun.com/nba/lebron-getting-crushed-for-what-he-posted-on-instagram-after-lakers-loss

He has 1000% cheated on his wife https://nypost.com/2017/11/07/model-reveals-how-lebron-james-slid-into-her-dms/

He's been 'reading' the same book (Godfather) for years, and makes sure everyone knows it and how deep and nuanced he is. You don't need to be showing up to press conferences with the Godfather in hand, LeBron

Takes absurd instagram videos of him yelling about rappers hooking him up with knew songs early and how hard he works 

Here's Kyrie and the entire Golden State team, while Kyrie was LeBron's teammate, mocking one of his corny, attention seeking videos

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20210023

He makes sure every single person is aware that he goes dark on social media for his playoff runs, something he calls Zero Dark 30-23, after the movie about hunting down Bin Laden. Why is it called that? I have no idea.

He claims being a great teammate means so much, the dude threw every single one of his Lakers' teammates under the bus all season, gets his coaches fired all the time, his owner (Gilbert) hated/hates him, and his Cleveland teammates too

The dude had a freaking show called The Decision to announce where he was going. If that isn't beyond egocentric I don't know what is; yes, I am aware of where the proceeds went, let's not act like that was the motivation behind that

Is he a wife beater? No. He's not some criminal or anything like that; he does give a ton to charity, and is an actually good guy for the most part, especially given his unique situation. But every single little thing he does is contrived and for attention, and it's annoying as hell, nobody even likes playing with him outside of Dwayne Wade. The man is just an infuriating individual. I will always like someone like Michael Jordan who is just an outright, in your face as$hole and isn't shy about it as opposed to someone like LeBron

LeBron James is the greatest basketball player to ever live. And he’s an incredible person. To dismiss it all as attention-seeking self service is selling him short. Regardless of the motivation the work he’s done and the role model he’s served as will do wonders for a generation of fans. That’s enough for me.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

LeBron James is the greatest basketball player to ever live. And he’s an incredible person. To dismiss it all as attention-seeking self service is selling him short. Regardless of the motivation the work he’s done and the role model he’s served as will do wonders for a generation of fans. That’s enough for me.

I didn't dismiss anything, I just think he's a very fake person

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Being a great player and attention-seeking self service are not mutually exclusive.  It's completely fair for someone to judge one aspect completely independently from the other.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Being a great player and attention-seeking self service are not mutually exclusive.  It's completely fair for someone to judge one aspect completely independently from the other.

That's the other thing though: just because something results in self-service doesn't mean that was the pure intent of it. LeBron is the biggest star in his sport, and arguably the biggest of any sport--literally anything he does is going to get attention, even if it's coming from a genuine desire to do something good.

45 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

That's the other thing though: just because something results in self-service doesn't mean that was the pure intent of it. LeBron is the biggest star in his sport, and arguably the biggest of any sport--literally anything he does is going to get attention, even if it's coming from a genuine desire to do something good.

Pretty much everything people do is self-serving at some level.  If you hand some change to the homeless guy on the corner, you're doing it because at least at some level, it makes you feel better about yourself.  Both sides gain from it and there's nothing wrong with that. 

And yeah, like you're saying, some will look on and say "he should give more" or "look at the rich guy lording over that poor homeless man".  Those people will always be out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

None of that stuff, outside of the Decision, does anyone any good besides himself, and some of it actually hurts other people

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Never said those couldn’t be separate but thanks! In fact I separated the person and the player with “and” AND a period. A grammatical error just to separate the two concepts.

55 minutes ago, WildCard said:

None of that stuff, outside of the Decision, does anyone any good besides himself, and some of it actually hurts other people

But he uses it all to do incredible things for other people.

Just now, Hoss said:

But he uses it all to do incredible things for other people.

I fail to see how being a bad teammate, stroking your ego on instagram hypocritically, and DM'ing models while you're married helps him accomplish the legitimate charity work he does do

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I fail to see how being a bad teammate, stroking your ego on instagram hypocritically, and DM'ing models while you're married helps him accomplish the legitimate charity work he does do

Lmfao at “bad teammate” bro you’re bitter. Also, maybe he’s in an open relationship - that’s not any of our business. 

LeBron James isn’t Martin Luther King Jr. Not even close. But you know who was a notorious cheater? MLK Jr. And that’s just who he was. The entirety of a man helps him do good and bad things.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Lmfao at “bad teammate” bro you’re bitter. Also, maybe he’s in an open relationship - that’s not any of our business. 

LeBron James isn’t Martin Luther King Jr. Not even close. But you know who was a notorious cheater? MLK Jr. And that’s just who he was. The entirety of a man helps him do good and bad things.

??

You do realize MLK can be a flawed man too? You seriously going to go so far to defend your boy LeBron and say he wouldn't have opened his school if he wasn't banging girls on the side? That is hands down your worst take you've had on here

He's a ***** teammate easily. He throws everyone around him under the bus and ***** constantly. 

Edited by WildCard

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

??

You do realize MLK can be a flawed man too? You seriously going to go so far to defend your boy LeBron and say he wouldn't have opened his school if he wasn't banging girls on the side? That is hands down your worst take you've had on here

He's a ***** teammate easily. He throws everyone around him under the bus and ***** constantly. 

LeBron has given so much for his teams. He went back to Cleveland and willed that team to a championship. Then last year he put on one of the greatest performances in NBA playoff history just to see the rag-tag group around him fumble game one away.

You’re falling for the media narrative pretty hard here. Those trusted around LeBron say the whole “GM LeBron” thing is not a thing. You think LeBron told the Lakers to go out and sign bums liken Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee and KCP last offseason? LOL.

And yes, the entirety of a man is what allows him to do good and bad things. Individual actions rarely exist in a vacuum. Your simplistic view of this isn’t what I’m actually saying.

Edited by Hoss

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

??

Haven't you figured it out yet?  He's always right.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Haven't you figured it out yet?  He's always right.

This is unnecessary. Two people are having a discussion. Both of us are stating our positions. We both insist we are right.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

All I can imagine is all of these models poor LeBron has to bang so these kids can go to school 

One per student, I’d guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is unnecessary. Two people are having a discussion. Both of us are stating our positions. We both insist we are right.

And if it's like most discussion, neither is actually right.?

Seriously though, I'm not entirely sure why I was greeted with snark in response to my last post.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Now that was funny 

Of note: the girl who LeBron allegedly messaged is Jordan Poyer’s wife. Poyer’s wife has cheated on him (with Antonio Brown) and Poyer has cheated on her. Wild world, sports is.

Just now, Hoss said:

Of note: the girl who LeBron allegedly messaged is Jordan Poyer’s wife. Poyer’s wife has cheated on him (with Antonio Brown) and Poyer has cheated on her. Wild world, sports is.

At first I read that as Antonio Banderas.  I have no idea why.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hoss said:

That always seemed like the downside of being famous to me personally. The odds of having a successful/faithful relationship seem pretty slim

Just now, shrader said:

At first I read that as Antonio Banderas.  I have no idea why.

Image result for antonio banderas gif

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That always seemed like the downside of being famous to me personally. The odds of having a successful/faithful relationship seem pretty slim

That’s why a lot of them are in open relationships. Many probably start open relationships reluctantly but get used to it. I only know two couples in open relationships. One seems miserable and the other is incredibly strong.

Just now, Hoss said:

That’s why a lot of them are in open relationships. Many probably start open relationships reluctantly but get used to it. I only know two couples in open relationships. One seems miserable and the other is incredibly strong.

I know 2-3 around me that do it. One just got un-engaged, the other is going fine from what I gather, not sure about the 3rd