The other sports thread

Eleven

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's the a bunch of really old writers voting players in based off of character instead of talent. Curt Schilling should be in the HoF, but because he's an objectionable moron and jackas$ he's not

Does any HoF actually restrict their votes to just players and front office types?  Grudges are going to exist there too, but I think it would lead to much more palatable results.

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's the a bunch of really old writers voting players in based off of character instead of talent. Curt Schilling should be in the HoF, but because he's an objectionable moron and jackas$ he's not

Schilling is not in because the first half of his career, at least, maybe even 2/3 was crap.

Oh, and he is one of the biggest ***** out there doesn't help.

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does any HoF actually restrict their votes to just players and front office types?  Grudges are going to exist there too, but I think it would lead to much more palatable results.

As far as I know the HoF is always done by some writer's association. You'd be amazed at some of the idiots they let vote on this stuff

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Schilling is not in because the first half of his career, at least, maybe even 2/3 was crap.

Oh, and he is one of the biggest ***** out there doesn't help.

If/when he gets in it will be because of his postseason numbers. His regular season ones aren't all that impressive

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

If it was only players/GMs doing it I think you'd certainly have fewer off-field issues keeping players out, but I think you'd have even more "good for a long time but never great" players getting in. 

38 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If it was only players/GMs doing it I think you'd certainly have fewer off-field issues keeping players out, but I think you'd have even more "good for a long time but never great" players getting in. 

I'd take that over the current practice of "he was mean to me once, so I'll never vote for him".

36 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Fact is all the the American sports HOF voters/agenda's/alumni have flaws. Can you imagine the football HOF not including such dignitaries as Pete Rose, Barry Bonds and Clemens?? The basketball HOF is probably the worst of the lot though. If you go strictly by numbers in baseball, several guys don't belong and several guys will never get in despite the numbers.

13 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Ooh, UB loses to Northern Wherever.  And, with that, the Brigadoon that is the UB Athletic program waits to reappear, perhaps years into the future... 

Hell hath no fury like an insecure Bona fan ?

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd take that over the current practice of "he was mean to me once, so I'll never vote for him".

Is anyone clearly worthy currently being held out because they were jerks to the media? 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hell hath no fury like an insecure Bona fan ?

Is anyone clearly worthy currently being held out because they were jerks to the media? 

kev hit probably the most obvious one in Owens.  He's in now, but it took far too long.  There's also a bit more in play with them, but I think it's does play a rolewhen it comes to Bonds and Clemens.  If they were likeable guys, a few more people would look the other way on the steroid stuff.  Honestly, I'm not so sure why anyone from that era is given a pass.

44 minutes ago, shrader said:

kev hit probably the most obvious one in Owens.  He's in now, but it took far too long.  There's also a bit more in play with them, but I think it's does play a rolewhen it comes to Bonds and Clemens.  If they were likeable guys, a few more people would look the other way on the steroid stuff.  Honestly, I'm not so sure why anyone from that era is given a pass.

I think what clearly needs to be done is to put Clemens in as a Blue Jay.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ubkev said:

Shoot, put him in as an Astro and while we're at it put Bonds in as a Pirate. Just put em in!

I was going to say he actually does belong there as a Pirate, but after looking up the numbers, he wasn't there quite as long as I thought.  Still, his Pirate career (a couple MVPs) is a very different thing than Clemens' time with the Astros.

For the second year running,  I will excuse myself from watching the Super Bowl.  For the NFL, it's SNAFU: One team made it into the game after being on the plus side of a blown call by the refs, the other is the Patriots.  I have no particular dislike for the Rams (in fact, I hope they crush New England).  I just wish that interference call had been made and the game had played out naturally.  Who knows?  The Rams might have won anyway. But now?  Well, this calls into mind (again) the legitimacy of NFL officiating. 

Do the Patriots really have many fans outside of New England?  My impression is that they are just about universally disliked (hated?) around the league.  Maybe the NFL is counting on fans tuning in just to see if the Patriots can be beaten. They really have been in way too many post-season games over the last 15 years. I am very suspicious of a team that has already been caught toying with the rules twice, and that year after year (after year) winds up on top of the league.  Their performance goes way beyond what the laws of probability would predict.

Anyway, I guess I'll be watching the Puppy Bowl again this year.  Darn, those little pooches are cute!

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I never understood depriving yourself from the biggest sports event of the year, one of the biggest social events of the year, and an awesome game for, well, any reason. 

Exactly. I'm going to be upset if the Patriots win whether I watch it with friends and family and go to the party or if I avoid it and find out the next day. May as well enjoy the company.

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I never understood depriving yourself from the biggest sports event of the year, one of the biggest social events of the year, and an awesome game for, well, any reason. 

Any game with the Patriots in it is automatically anti-fun to watch. Not only is the game itself not fun, but it retroactively sucks away any fun you've been having in your life recently.

15 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Any game with the Patriots in it is automatically anti-fun to watch. Not only is the game itself not fun, but it retroactively sucks away any fun you've been having in your life recently.

Same here. I can't stand that team and the constant ball washing they get from almost every talking head on tv. I've been watching less and less NFL over the past few years and I haven't missed it at all. I used to watch every game I could, then I started watching just Bills games and a handful of "premiere" type match ups. Then it was just Bills games and now I even skip some of those. I don't miss it. I used to feel my blood pressure spike when the Cheaters received questionable calls or came back and won after looking like they were going to lose. Now it doesn't bother me nearly as much, even though I still hope for every single member of that organization to die in a fire.

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

Same here. I can't stand that team and the constant ball washing they get from almost every talking head on tv. I've been watching less and less NFL over the past few years and I haven't missed it at all. I used to watch every game I could, then I started watching just Bills games and a handful of "premiere" type match ups. Then it was just Bills games and now I even skip some of those. I don't miss it. I used to feel my blood pressure spike when the Cheaters received questionable calls or came back and won after looking like they were going to lose. Now it doesn't bother me nearly as much, even though I still hope for every single member of that organization to die in a fire.

The only NFL game I was legitimately entertained by this year was the Chiefs-Rams game during the regular season. I watched most of the Bills games mostly out of curiosity for Josh Allen's development, and even those felt like more of a obligation than entertainment. 

19 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

The only NFL game I was legitimately entertained by this year was the Chiefs-Rams game during the regular season. I watched most of the Bills games mostly out of curiosity for Josh Allen's development, and even those felt like more of a obligation than entertainment. 

Same here (although I also was interested in watching Edmunds).  I'm not able to watch the Super Bowl this year and I have no problem missing it.  Maybe the Bills will be a little more entertainment than obligation next year.

Today would have been the 100th birthday of Jackie Robinson.  He was a damn fine baseball player, but I imagine very few people would say he was the best athlete ever.  But when you consider how his career advanced race relations, yeah, count me in for most important athlete ever.