The other sports thread

Eleven

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yankees just got two extra runs from “meh” calls. Stanton strikes out but they give him a walk then Voit tags up and was logically out by about six inches but the call stands in review. Baseball gonna baseball.

Logically out? There was no angle to show he was actually out and the call on the field was safe. Replay gonna replay maybe, but that's not a baseball thing 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

Logically out? There was no angle to show he was actually out and the call on the field was safe. Replay gonna replay maybe, but that's not a baseball thing 

He looked out live and I was surprised he was called safe. Call on the field was the issue. I thought the first replay they showed made it clear he was out.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Cut 42 games-worth of revenue off the schedule?  It doesn't matter whether or not it should happen, it's about as likely as Babe Ruth returning to the mound for the Red Sox in game one of the ALDS.

What if they cut it back to 154 like it used to be, but they get MORE revenue because they're adding playoff games to reach a similar total (but with more eyes on the playoff games than there would be on the missing 8 regular season games)?

Let's make a couple of safe assumptions:  (1) no one watches more than one game game at a time on TV (because the league wants eyes on the ads, so channel-flippers don't really help them for ratings purposes) and (2) the league cares more about TV viewers than butts in the seats.

Right now, for any given team*, there are 162 + 1 + 5 + 7 + 7 = 182 viewing opportunities.

With a 154 game schedule and Wild Card's playoff schedule, for any given team there would be 154 + 3 + 7 + 7 + 7 = 178 viewing opportunities.

But there are going to be many, many more viewers for those extra playoff games than there will be for games between middle-of-the-league (or worse) teams in the middle of the summer.  The league gets more money and we get to see better, more important games.  It's a win-win.

I just solved Baseball.  I feel like John Nash right now.

*Except Baltimore.

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What if they cut it back to 154 like it used to be, but they get MORE revenue because they're adding playoff games to reach a similar total (but with more eyes on the playoff games than there would be on the missing 8 regular season games)?

30 MLB teams, average attendance say 25K. Average cost is $36/person (minus the parking because MLB doesn't profit off that https://www.cbsnews.com/media/the-7-most-and-least-expensive-stadiums-to-watch-a-major-league-baseball-game/) 1

15 teams * 8 games * (25,000 * $36) = $108M, and that is an extraordinarily conservative estimate. MLB would add, in exchange, potentially* 16 games total for the playoffs. I just don't think it pays off for them; let alone I'm unsure how revenue sharing works for those teams that lose those 8 games but don't make the playoffs

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Pretty wild, this will be only the 4th time in history the Red Sox and Yankees meet in the postseason. All have been for the pennant, with the Yankees holding a 2-1 edge

I remember the last 2 vividly. Being utterly elated, running through the Spaulding dorms screaming like a total after listening to the call on my clock radio*. Then being completely and totally devastated following the biggest loss in sports history, sitting in my dorm in Red Jacket(or was it Richmond) knowing that my SA would be returning from the bar (that I was too chicken to go out too, because I knew I couldn't handle being in public if the Yankees lost to his Red Sox) soon to gloat. But he did bring me a bottle of jäger...

*look it up

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Conor McGregor taps out then Khabib jumps into the crowd to fight Conor’s team then two of Khabib’s cronies jumped into the octagon and jumped McGregor. It looked like a planned hit.

Didn't see any of that but that fight result was pretty obvious. 

Separately, David Price is still David Price! ?

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So contrived.

I don't think so. No doubt it's good for their business, but there's been a lot of bad mouthing from McGregor about what it means to be a true Chechen man, and apparently (not in this link) the McGregor corner was yelling some stuff about Khabib's religion and what not

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-attacker-revealed-would-13377750

25 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't think so. No doubt it's good for their business, but there's been a lot of bad mouthing from McGregor about what it means to be a true Chechen man, and apparently (not in this link) the McGregor corner was yelling some stuff about Khabib's religion and what not

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-attacker-revealed-would-13377750

I’ve never seen someone research and know their opponent so well on a personal level as McGregor does. Obviously didn’t translate to the mat.