The other sports thread

Eleven

2 hours ago, inkman said:

In everyway possible. What drives me away are his fans. His fans are "get in the hole" guy. 

His fans are not his fault.  If I followed you around and yelled get in the hole would it be fair to blame you for it?  Also, that's EVERY golf fan who wants to yell.. it's absolutely ridiculous but certainly not the exclusive domain of Tiger Woods.

As for "every way possible".  He's a real person.  So, no, not every way possible.  And yes, I realize that's not what you meant, but since you did not elaborate at all about Tiger Woods, i felt the need to comment.

Honestly, how is he phony?

I understand his entire past, his absolute garbage treatment of people, his extremely bad life choices.  I'm curious how he's phony.

32 minutes ago, N S said:

Hey Boyes,

Look what I found ...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/john-gibbons-blue-jays-1.4839158

Gibby can't / won't allow them to fire him.  He just sort of quit.

Well damn.

As much as people/players seem to like the guy, i'm totally ready for a newer perspective for the Jays - especially given the new core that is coming with Vlad Jr, Bichette and others. I think we've been pretty stale compared to some of the innovative things that other teams have been doing around the league.

Two games today to determine the division winners in the NL Central and NL West today; winner of the Central is the #1 seed in the NL. It's absolutely insane to me that MLb plays 162 games, and these teams in particular play each other some 18 times, and yet the tie breaker they have is to play yet another game that completely screws these 4 teams heading into the playoffs.

But as a selfish fan, it means more baseball, so I'll take it

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Two games today to determine the division winners in the NL Central and NL West today; winner of the Central is the #1 seed in the NL. It's absolutely insane to me that MLb plays 162 games, and these teams in particular play each other some 18 times, and yet the tie breaker they have is to play yet another game that completely screws these 4 teams heading into the playoffs.

But as a selfish fan, it means more baseball, so I'll take it

And don't they count that extra play in game in the standings?  I wonder what they would do if that game altered the wild card standings.  For some reason I feel like I remember there being one case where there was a play in for the division crown, and then the loser then had to follow that up with a play in for the wild card.  It's possible though that I'm just insane and making up a crazy scenario.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

And don't they count that extra play in game in the standings?  I wonder what they would do if that game altered the wild card standings.  For some reason I feel like I remember there being one case where there was a play in for the division crown, and then the loser then had to follow that up with a play in for the wild card.  It's possible though that I'm just insane and making up a crazy scenario.

That is the scenario they have right now. The two losers of today's games will play each other, tomorrow, for a one game wild card play in

Edited by WildCard

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That is the scenario they have right now. The two losers of today's games will play each other, tomorrow, for a one game wild card play in

Right, but that's the actual wild card game.  Imagine having to play two games extra games (163 and 164) just to get into that wild card game.  So for that, you'd have to have the second place team from the NL east currently tied with the Rockies and Dodgers.

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Looks like the buzz-saw that is the Brewers are going to take this game. It helps to be the hot team going into the playoffs...

Also - Yelich is amazing. He is having a crazy good season, especially September.

Lots of pundits are saying the Yanks got the worst of the 3 Marlin outfielders. Not sure if I agree but an argument can be made.

27 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This is the MLB's nightmare 

I think so, too. Which makes it more fun.

But I also imagine these leagues don’t really get hurt THAT much. It creates new fans in areas they might not have a strong foothold and allows them to showcase parity.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't really care so much about the World Series, but I'm really hoping for a Chicago-Milwaukee NLDS.  I need more of what I saw yesterday. (Except I'd prefer that the Cubs win.)

Blech. Why Cubs > Milwaukee? I don’t dislike the Cubs but they recently won, have won in the last and are the much bigger market.

Really hoping Colorado pulls it off so we’re guaranteed one of the Rockies/Brewers in the NLCS.

Edited by Hoss

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Blech. Why Cubs > Milwaukee? I don’t dislike the Cubs but they recently won, have won in the last and are the much bigger market.

Really hoping Colorado pulls it off so we’re guaranteed one of the Rockies/Brewers in the NLCS.

Because my nephew and brother-in-law are huge Cubs fans and the nephew is not quite old enough to really remember the last one, but he'd remember this one.  (He's 8.)  

Edited by Eleven

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Love the Cubs. Love the history, Theo Epstein, the ball park, the fans,  the uniforms...plus the players are just electric: Jave Biaz is easily a top exciting player to watch, Daniel Murphy has a beautiful swing, and Bryant and Rizzo? Come on. Plus if you don't like any of that, they just have Wilson Contreras floating around batting 9th; premier catcher in the league who can hit and gun you down.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

Looking over the standings, does anyone know how often there have been two 100 games winners in one division, three in the same league?  I'd imagine two in one  division was a bit more common back in the 4 division days.

3 in the league has happened 5 times since 1998. Far as in the same division goes, I'm not sure because I don't know what the divisions used to be in this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_100_win_seasons

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

3 in the league has happened 5 times since 1998. Far as in the same division goes, I'm not sure because I don't know what the divisions used to be in this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_100_win_seasons

If that's the full list, this would actually be the first time ever for three 100 win teams from the same league.  Every other one was a 2/1 split between the AL/NL.  Each of those post-1998 lists definitely do not have two teams from the same division.  KC and the Yankees definitely weren't in the same division in 1977, so that one passes the cut too.  It doesn't look like they had divisions back in 1942, so I guess that year technically squeaks by too.

So yes, it's the first time ever for both scenarios I mentioned... assuming wikipedia is accurate on that one.

19 hours ago, shrader said:

If that's the full list, this would actually be the first time ever for three 100 win teams from the same league.  Every other one was a 2/1 split between the AL/NL.  Each of those post-1998 lists definitely do not have two teams from the same division.  KC and the Yankees definitely weren't in the same division in 1977, so that one passes the cut too.  It doesn't look like they had divisions back in 1942, so I guess that year technically squeaks by too.

So yes, it's the first time ever for both scenarios I mentioned... assuming wikipedia is accurate on that one.

It is.