The other sports thread

Eleven

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

That was the most clutch thing I've seen by an athlete

I gave Harper a lot of sh1t for not doing it the past couple years. I know he said he wouldn't do it until it was in Washington. That was pretty damn cool. 

11 hours ago, ubkev said:

I gave Harper a lot of sh1t for not doing it the past couple years. I know he said he wouldn't do it until it was in Washington. That was pretty damn cool. 

I mean he was down 18-8 or something and rattled off 10 homers in a row on consecutive swings with the time running out.

I think the new format is way better because of the timed element. You can't just take your time knowing you have potentially infinite swings as long as you don't miss. It certainly added to the drama of what Harper did in the final.

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

I mean he was down 18-8 or something and rattled off 10 homers in a row on consecutive swings with the time running out.

I think the new format is way better because of the timed element. You can't just take your time knowing you have potentially infinite swings as long as you don't miss. It certainly added to the drama of what Harper did in the final.

The new format is infinitely better. It at minimum doubles the amount of home runs hit. Everyone hits at least a dozen. With the 10 outs format you'd have guys getting skunked or hitting 1 or 2. Way more entertaining this way.

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

The new format is infinitely better. It at minimum doubles the amount of home runs hit. Everyone hits at least a dozen. With the 10 outs format you'd have guys getting skunked or hitting 1 or 2. Way more entertaining this way.

Alternate bonus: since it's timed, we no longer run the risk of the TV broadcast going into the wee hours of the night just because Josh Hamilton decides to hit 30 in one round.

I'm old and need my sleeps.

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

Alternate bonus: since it's timed, we no longer run the risk of the TV broadcast going into the wee hours of the night just because Josh Hamilton decides to hit 30 in one round.

I'm old and need my sleeps.

Hamilton hit 30 at the old stadium in 08? and it took approximately 6 days. I got so drunk I couldn't help but not remember any of it. Didn't he almost hit one out of the stadium.

Hamilton hit 30 at the old stadium in 08? and it took approximately 6 days. I got so drunk I couldn't help but not remember any of it. Didn't he almost hit one out of the stadium.

And he didn't even win it

I made up the 30 number, but I do remember that derby ending well past midnight. At that point I didn't give a #### who won I just wanted it to end.

Just now, WildCard said:

And he didn't even win it

Right. His next round was pretty poor IRC.

Yankee Stadium, New York—A.L. 66, N.L. 39
Player Team Round 1 Round 2 Subtotal Finals Total
Justin Morneau Twins 8 9 17 5 22
Josh Hamilton Rangers 28a 4b 32 3 35
Lance Berkman Astros 8 6 14 14
Ryan Braun Brewers 7 7 14 14
Dan Uggla Marlins 6 6 6
Grady Sizemore Indians 6 6 6
Chase Utley Phillies 5 5 5
Evan Longoria Rays 3 3 3

Yep. 28 in round 1 then only hit 4 in round 2 and 3 in the finals to lose to Morneau who hit 5.

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Scherzer is dealing in the first.

Bet the Nats blow it in the playoffs...

If they even make it! They’re sitting 5.5 games out of the division and 5 back of WC2. Lots of teams between them and the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, EichSnipe said:

If they even make it! They’re sitting 5.5 games out of the division and 5 back of WC2. Lots of teams between them and the playoffs. 

It's the Phillies....c'mon

Although, the braves...nah, they aren't going to do it either.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Scherzer is dealing in the first.

Bet the Nats blow it in the playoffs...

1 hour ago, EichSnipe said:

I don't like either of you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, ubkev said:

There are no trades for the Yankees to make. There isn't one player that has been mentioned as available that I would give up anyone for.

?

The Nationals just threw in the towel. Announce Bryce Harper is available for trade.

What is the point of trading for him now anyways? He's going to cost so freaking much, and everyone knows he's just going to go play for the Cubs next year anyways. At least with Machado and the Dodgers LA has a chance to keep him

On 7/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, ubkev said:

There are no trades for the Yankees to make. There isn't one player that has been mentioned as available that I would give up anyone for.

This is still accurate. And so far the Yankees haven't given up a single ballplayer.

8 hours ago, ubkev said:

The Nationals just threw in the towel. Announce Bryce Harper is available for trade.

Dammit.  They're only six games out, as of yesterday morning.  Deadline is in nine hours, though, so maybe no one makes the right deal in time.

Edited by Eleven

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

?

What is the point of trading for him now anyways? He's going to cost so freaking much, and everyone knows he's just going to go play for the Cubs next year anyways. At least with Machado and the Dodgers LA has a chance to keep him

The Cubs aren’t a forgone conclusion by any means... but you would also trade for him for the same reason you trade for any rental: you think it puts you over the top. In his case it’d cost a lot but he also increases your chances of winning a ton.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Dammit.  They're only six games out, as of yesterday morning.  Deadline is in nine hours, though, so maybe no one makes the right deal in time.

I'm betting no one makes the right deal in time. The Yanks won't give up what it takes(I hope!) And I don't think Cleveland will either.