The other sports thread

Eleven

I didn't know there was anything to follow in the US.

My roomate in college played so I would occasionally watch his games and practice a little. It's a super fun game. Do you play?

I played for about 16 years. I learned the game when I was in Germany in 92 and played for Kaiserslataurn (military side 92-94) and Stuttgart B side (German club 94). That's back when there were still a few Canadian bases over there. We had a pretty decent military league with teams from the army, Air Force, Canada and England. Most bases/military communities sponsored a team and we had a full schedule to include a playoffs and championship. I played for the fort Rucker military side from 95 - 00, Seoul in 01, and from 02-08 I played for Hopkinsville between deployments with a brief stint for Nashville.

Buffalo actually has a good team. They are a division two side who have Made it to the sweet 16 seven straight years, have been in existence for 40 years, and do a lot of work in the community. If anyone's interested check them out at buffalorugby.org. Lockport also has a club, sometimes I would play a B side game with them when I was home on leave. During my break in service I tried to start a club in olean, but failed miserably.

As far as viewing goes, Direct TV viewers can find rugby on channels 490 & 491, they have exclusive broadcast rights to the super 15, which features five teams each from Australia, South Africa and new zealand. In my opinion this is the best rugby there is, thier season runs from February - may, the team I cheer for is the waratahs. DirectTV also shows six nations rugby(England, wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and Italy) and tri-nations rugby(Australia, South Africa, New Zealand) which is now called the rugby championship with the inclusion of Argentina. They also have the Heineken cup, which is the rugby equivalent to soccers UEFA champions league, I cheer for Munster in this tournament.

Fox soccer plus also shows a lot of rugby, both northern and Southern Hemisphere and both union and league. For those of you that are not familiar with the difference between union and league, the main difference is that union is similar to soccer in that play is continuous, and league is similar to football in that you have six tackles(downs) to score and on the sixth down you usually punt the ball away.

Edited by Hank

I played for about 16 years. I learned the game when I was in Germany in 92 and played for Kaiserslataurn (military side 92-94) and Stuttgart B side (German club 94). That's back when there were still a few Canadian bases over there. We had a pretty decent military league with teams from the army, Air Force, Canada and England. Most bases/military communities sponsored a team and we had a full schedule to include a playoffs and championship. I played for the fort Rucker military side from 95 - 00, Seoul in 01, and from 02-08 I played for Hopkinsville between deployments with a brief stint for Nashville.

Buffalo actually has a good team. They are a division two side who have Made it to the sweet 16 seven straight years, have been in existence for 40 years, and do a lot of work in the community. If anyone's interested check them out at buffalorugby.org. Lockport also has a club, sometimes I would play a B side game with them when I was home on leave. During my break in service I tried to start a club in olean, but failed miserably.

As far as viewing goes, Direct TV viewers can find rugby on channels 490 & 491, they have exclusive broadcast rights to the super 15, which features five teams each from Australia, South Africa and new zealand. In my opinion this is the best rugby there is, thier season runs from February - may, the team I cheer for is the waratahs. DirectTV also shows six nations rugby(England, wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and Italy) and tri-nations rugby(Australia, South Africa, New Zealand) which is now called the rugby championship with the inclusion of Argentina. They also have the Heineken cup, which is the rugby equivalent to soccers UEFA champions league, I cheer for Munster in this tournament.

Fox soccer plus also shows a lot of rugby, both northern and Southern Hemisphere and both union and league. For those of you that are not familiar with the difference between union and league, the main difference is that union is similar to soccer in that play is continuous, and league is similar to football in that you have six tackles(downs) to score and on the sixth down you usually punt the ball away.

League has fewer players, too, right?Fox Soccer Plus actually has some rugby on right now. It's better than watching UB lose.

EDIT: It looks like the game I'm watching is the English league final. It is wild! The final of just about any league usually is, though.

Edited by Eleven

League has fewer players, too, right?Fox Soccer Plus actually has some rugby on right now. It's better than watching UB lose.

EDIT: It looks like the game I'm watching is the English league final. It is wild! The final of just about any league usually is, though.

Yes, union has 15 per side and league has 13. Leeds v Warrington was the grand final, it was live, and it was awesome!

Anyone hear there's a movement ( supported by Martina N ) to eliminate the grunts and screaming from women's tennis. To be honest I really like the back and forth of it. Thoughts ?

They should keep the grunts and screaming. It makes my naughty parts tingle.

For the Rugby fans out there ...

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c4

I don't follow the sport. Never really understood it. There don't appear to be many rules, from the few matches I have watched.

My cousin is a huge fan, player (in his younger years) and coach.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Anyone hear there's a movement ( supported by Martina N ) to eliminate the grunts and screaming from women's tennis. To be honest I really like the back and forth of it. Thoughts ?

I have never understood this. Who cares if they grunt? Why is this even a big deal? Tennis is a great spectator and participatory sport but the country club rules need to be dropped. This isn't 1919 anymore

I have never understood this. Who cares if they grunt? Why is this even a big deal? Tennis is a great spectator and participatory sport but the country club rules need to be dropped. This isn't 1919 anymore

Some players find the excessive grunting of other players to be a distraction.

When Seles was stabbed by a guy who was stalking Graf, there was a lot of speculation that the stabber resented Seles for distracting Graf with her excessive grunting.

Some players find the excessive grunting of other players to be a distraction.

When Seles was stabbed by a guy who was stalking Graf, there was a lot of speculation that the stabber resented Seles for distracting Graf with her excessive grunting.

Maybe? It seems like an excuse for getting beat by a better player.

That being said, when commenters talk about the grunting it doesn't seem like they are objecting for competitive balance, but rather for appearance reason. Like grunting isn't dignified.

That being said, when commenters talk about the grunting it doesn't seem like they are objecting for competitive balance, but rather for appearance reason. Like grunting isn't dignified.

Monica, better than Steffi? I think not, sir. Not that I think you were trying to start a debate like that, just thought I'd point out that Steffi was twice as good as Monica.

As far as grunting goes...I don't think i really care either way, some are annoying others aren't, I'm pretty sure I did it unconsciously during my tennis career, so i guess i can't condemn it. And i agree with the 1919 comment, I feel that way seeing the players wearing all white a Wimbledon.

Monica, better than Steffi? I think not, sir. Not that I think you were trying to start a debate like that, just thought I'd point out that Steffi was twice as good as Monica.

As far as grunting goes...I don't think i really care either way, some are annoying others aren't, I'm pretty sure I did it unconsciously during my tennis career, so i guess i can't condemn it. And i agree with the 1919 comment, I feel that way seeing the players wearing all white a Wimbledon.

I keep hoping someone will get a really bad spray tan before thier wimbledon match and sweat stain there white outfit horribly. lol

Maybe an excuse, but that's what the conversation was when Seles was playing. I don't really watch tennis anymore, so I don't know if that's the reason today.