The other sports thread

Eleven

8 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Albert Pujols tied Alex Rodriguez's 696 home runs last night, 4th most all time. Babe Ruth is next, at 714, which is well out of reach unless he changes his plan to retire.

He hit 697 today. He's got a month to hit 3. He's got this!

Jays take 3 of 5 from the Rays. Pretty good. Despite losing the last one, Jays are on a pretty good streak right now. 7th overall yesterday, now 9th, Jays, Rays, Mariners in a virtual tie everywhere. 

What’s interesting is where we (Jays fans) want them to finish. They can finish as high as the 1st WC spot, but there’s a strong argument for WC3. 

WC1 gets the 3-game WC series exclusively at home. But it’s a matchup against either the Mariners or Rays, both of which are better than the team WC3 would play (admittedly on the road): the winner of the (very weak) AL Central. 

Further to that: there is no re-seeding, and the winner of the AL central winner/WC3 series goes on to play the Yankees, a better matchup than the AL leading Houston Astros (who the winner of WC2 vs WC3 plays)

Obviously there’s an argument for WC1 as you get that home best-of-3 series. In the end, I think it’s the WC2 spot (AL 5th seed) that’d be the LEAST preferable, the spot you’d wanna avoid if given the choice. A road series against a really good team followed by a matchup with Houston if you get past that. 

As of now, Blue Jays sit 5th, on tap for a road 3-gamer in Seattle. As long as they don’t implode in their games against Baltimore, they should lock down a playoff berth, an accomplishment in itself.

Edited by Thorny

@Thorny ... they need to just win baby !!

They will pass the Yankees is my prediction and win the East.

The playoff structure is dumb.  I don't like the wild card thing.  The division winner with the best record gets a buy and the other 2 duke it out to play th 1 seed.   I know, I know.  It's all about the Payola ........

Before Rock and Hyde they gave us the Payolas ... fantastic in 1979.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

@Thorny ... they need to just win baby !!

They will pass the Yankees is my prediction and win the East.

The playoff structure is dumb.  I don't like the wild card thing.  The division winner with the best record gets a buy and the other 2 duke it out to play th 1 seed.   I know, I know.  It's all about the Payola ........

Before Rock and Hyde they gave us the Payolas ... fantastic in 1979.

Between a Rock & a Hyde Place.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Canelo vs GGG 3 tonight. 5 years after a crooked judge took Triple G's win away, then after Canelo tested positive for roids twice, they meet again. I think GGG is probably too old to pull this one off now, but I'm still rooting for him.

Holy cow, GGG looked old. Canelo did nothing special, but it was enough to win. The judges scorecards were once again horrible! Canelo by unanimous decision, but the judges had it waaaay too close. My score card (117-111) is right(if not generous to GGG), all of theirs were WAY wrong!

Bad fight. 

Every baseball fan who's at least 30 years old has had the privilege of watching the best left handed hitter of all time(who happens to be the greatest player who ever existed) and one of the top 10 right handed hitters of all time. 

Baseball is great!

Edited by ubkev

8 hours ago, ubkev said:

Every baseball fan who's at least 30 years old has had the privilege of watching the best left handed hitter of all time(who happens to be the greatest player who ever existed) and one of the top 10 right handed hitters of all time. 

Baseball is great!

I went to Yankee Stadium last night, got some decently priced tix to see Yanks vs Sox.... 

We stayed about 2 innings. Saw a HR and a few strikeouts.

I can check going to Yankee Stadium off my life list, but *****, baseball is so freaking boring! Even on a Friday night against a rival, I found the "post-game" grub to be much more enjoyable than watching actual baseball.