The other sports thread

Eleven

9 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Juan Soto just turned down a $440 million extension with the Nationals. The Nat's will be looking to trade him if they have any sense. 

He's 23 years old. The Yankees should really empty the farm system for this guy. 

The only teams that can really afford him are the LA's the NY's(Mets are out though, no way the Nat's trade him in the division) BOS, and maybe SEA. 

Start with Volpe and Dominguez then keep adding from there. As a Nats fan I can say this is incredibly expected. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Start with Volpe and Dominguez then keep adding from there. As a Nats fan I can say this is incredibly expected. 

Take em both. Any Yankees fan that says otherwise is insane. Always trade prospects for 23 year old monsters who are already top 3 at their position in the pros.

14 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Anyone watching the Home Run Derby?  I haven't watched it in years, but the Guardians have a guy in it, and also I'm curious to see if Pete Alonso can pull off the three-peat.

No three-peat for Alonso, but it was the third straight year a Mets player wins...

15 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

4 converted TDs is very impressive for the Argos, even the Blue Bombers.

For the Jays is unconsious.  Is that the most runs scored ever?

5th most in “modern era” (since 1900).

Most in Jays history. 

Watched the Formula 1 race from France today.  I am AMAZED at how many people are saying Ferrari messed up by having Sainz pit at the end. Their execuation (how they communicated it to him) was awful, but it was the right move for sure:

-If he stayed out, his tires were shot. There were blisters all over and the falloff the rest of the race may have been dramatic AND possibly a crash risk.  If anyone has seen a race where drivers push their tires past where they were, for another 10 laps or so, he would have likely held on to finish 5th (considering his 5 second penalty).

-He pitted for fresh tires, and he finished 5th.  Had there been a full course safety car and everyone in front of him pits, he starting first with the best car and pretty good tires. with it being hard to pass he might win.  IF there was a safety car and no one in front of him pits, he pulls right up to the back of the top 5 with a better car and WAY better tires and he passes at least a couple of them if not all of them and finishes better than 5th, maybe 1st or 2nd.

Again, they didn't communicate well with him and they seemed disorganized. But pitting him and not keeping him out was the correct call, not even close.

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Watched the Formula 1 race from France today.  I am AMAZED at how many people are saying Ferrari messed up by having Sainz pit at the end. Their execuation (how they communicated it to him) was awful, but it was the right move for sure:

-If he stayed out, his tires were shot. There were blisters all over and the falloff the rest of the race may have been dramatic AND possibly a crash risk.  If anyone has seen a race where drivers push their tires past where they were, for another 10 laps or so, he would have likely held on to finish 5th (considering his 5 second penalty).

-He pitted for fresh tires, and he finished 5th.  Had there been a full course safety car and everyone in front of him pits, he starting first with the best car and pretty good tires. with it being hard to pass he might win.  IF there was a safety car and no one in front of him pits, he pulls right up to the back of the top 5 with a better car and WAY better tires and he passes at least a couple of them if not all of them and finishes better than 5th, maybe 1st or 2nd.

Again, they didn't communicate well with him and they seemed disorganized. But pitting him and not keeping him out was the correct call, not even close.

Agreed.  Terrible communication. They had plenty of data on the medium tires from Leclerc. I don't know the metrics but it seems like Sainz might have been on his mediums for as long as Leclerc had been on his before he lost the car.

If you also add the 5 second penalty Sainz picked up for his unsafe release it only compounds the problem. He was lucky to only get 5 for that. The mix up in communication, the 5 second penalty, and then the VSC all contributed to the end result.

Also curious about this whole Perez VSC communication blunder where he was supposedly informed that the VSC was ending on Turn 9 and he sped up then which explained why there was suddenly a big gap between him an Russell.  Then he was informed Turn 12 but he was in the wrong spot on the track having had to slow down to maintain his 40% delta.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm literally the only person on here who cares about combat sports, but the UFC's free ESPN fight cards are the best thing going in fighting right now. Just watched a guy flip the "off" switch on another grown man with one left hook as I'm making sauce for dinner.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:50 PM, ubkev said:

I know I'm literally the only person on here who cares about combat sports, but the UFC's free ESPN fight cards are the best thing going in fighting right now. Just watched a guy flip the "off" switch on another grown man with one left hook as I'm making sauce for dinner.

Not the only one, sir.

That late KO of Usman last night was shocking and amazing.  

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Not the only one, sir.

That late KO of Usman last night was shocking and amazing.  

I was so damn happy! I cannot stand Usman. 

And that's why you don't coast to the finish line. He stopped his boring ass wrestling/cage grabbing and tried to run out the clock on his feet and got slept.

It’s kinda hilarious how far the Yankees have fallen. Earlier all we heard about is how almost all teams that start w/ the record they did end up winning the World’s Series. Could still happen but they are 5th overall in baseball right now 

• Haha (+1) 1