The other sports thread

Eleven

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, because they're protesting the evil PGA!  Didn't you read Mickelson's statement?

(In all fairness to FIGJAM, both the US and Canada enable SA in so many ways that are innumerable and unconscionable.)

And, as we all know, Whataboutism is an infallible defense.

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, because they're protesting the evil PGA!  Didn't you read Mickelson's statement?

(In all fairness to FIGJAM, both the US and Canada enable SA in so many ways that are innumerable and unconscionable.)

The current rulers of both of our countries have done the very thing that they said that they will never do when running for election.  At least the other guy before your current guy said that he would and he hated to do it, but he said if we don't someone else will.  I kind of respect that in your face wankerness more.

Blood on their hands.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The only 5 division champion in the sport's history took his rightful place in the Hall of Fame today alongside the greatest class(3 classes) of boxers I've had the pleasure to watch. Floyd Mayweather, Sugar Shane Mosley, The Executioner Bernard Hopkins, and my personal favorite fighter of all time, Roy Jones Jr.

Wish I could have been there. Glad I'm not stuck in that thruway traffic. HOF weekend is always a mess.

PS: Roy is the last former middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title in over 100 years.

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Best of luck to Jessica Pegula in her opening match at Wimbledon today. I wasn't aware that she's become a top-10 ranked player in the world (for now) -- full marks to her. There's no doubting her work ethic in light of that.

Insofar as her mother is concerned, I'd like to take it as a good sign that Jessica is in England competing rather than keeping a vigil back in the U.S. But who knows.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Best of luck to Jessica Pegula in her opening match at Wimbledon today. I wasn't aware that she's become a top-10 ranked player in the world (for now) -- full marks to her. There's no doubting her work ethic in light of that.

Insofar as her mother is concerned, I'd like to take it as a good sign that Jessica is in England competing rather than keeping a vigil back in the U.S. But who knows.

Really wouldn't read much of anything into Mrs. Pegula's condition based upon her daughter going to work.  Probably safe to assume (very thankfully) that her demise isn't immediately imminent, but not much else to be read into it.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Really wouldn't read much of anything into Mrs. Pegula's condition based upon her daughter going to work.  Probably safe to assume (very thankfully) that her demise isn't immediately imminent, but not much else to be read into it.

54 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

That did not age well.  (Or maybe it does.)

Condolences to the Pegula family & the entire Sabres, Bills, & Bandits families.  That's a huge loss for all.

Mrs. Pegula, please RIP.

Hoping the struck through above was horribly premature.

Edited by Taro T
No idea if the other thread was/is legit.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I followed her progress at the French Open. She was doing fantastic until the quarterfinals where she ran into the current unstoppable force that is Iga Swiatek, who dropped just one set the entire tournament.

Jessica Pegula's match won't happen today.

Most reports on Twitter say the match has been canceled without further explanation. Ugh.

A 30-second look seems to reveal that (1) Jessica's was the last match of the day on her assigned court and (2) another match is also being canceled for the day. So this is presumably because the matches before them went long, and they ran out of time/daylight.

Is Kevin Durant the softest player in professional sports? Yes or yes?

By all means, get him out of Brooklyn so that franchise can crawl back down the shitter again(and maybe the Knicks can win a game or two against them this year). But for real, does anyone beg to be on ready-made teams more than this guy?

Oh and ***** the Nets and ***** their fans. Bunch of rats. Bout to watch em all jump ship again.

PS: I'm happy that the Knicks signed Jalen Brunson. I think that might work out.

Edited by ubkev

Pretty good UFC event last night. The first fight of the night ended quick in round 1 with a snapped arm(beauty). 

Alex Volkanovski is just awesome to watch fight. Just an absolute beast of a human. Pieced up Max Holloway for 5 rounds with a broken right hand and wasn't losing for even 1 second of the fight. Unbelievable.

Oh and Israel Adesanya is awful to watch fight, still!

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Maybe not, but choking out a bitch in a Darth Vader mask is! 

I saw this. It reminds me of when Tyler Myers would make it hit for the Sabres. He couldn’t do it naturally within the flow of the game.  He had to fabricate the moment and it became so over the top egregious that the officials almost always called him on it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, Thorny said:

My Blue Jays 😬

Fired the manager because they can't fire all the players.

They may out it all together, but it just seems that they just don't have it this season.  I think the way the Yankees are playing that spooked them somehow and they are keeping their powder dry for another run next season.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, Weave said:

John Daly sinking a 90’ eagle putt at The Open while wearing Hooters pants and a Santa beard is the video I didn’t know I needed today.

I’d love to play there but that course looks tough. It is not even windy.

My mental game would be taxed, I have a hard time hitting a good shot and getting a bad result. Gotta take the good with the bad though because the opposite happens too.

Juan Soto just turned down a $440 million extension with the Nationals. The Nat's will be looking to trade him if they have any sense. 

He's 23 years old. The Yankees should really empty the farm system for this guy. 

The only teams that can really afford him are the LA's the NY's(Mets are out though, no way the Nat's trade him in the division) BOS, and maybe SEA.