The other sports thread

Eleven

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

She was raised atheist but is not an atheist anymore.  Not sure when she changed.

That's nice, and glad you had fun.

This thread is for sports.

Apparently her conversion happened ~2001 around the time she divorced Ted Turner.  (Who apparently found Christianity -~2013.)

That WS was back in '92.  She was still devoutly anti-religious back then.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Glad to keep him. Have to do Robbie Ray next but I’m not feeling great about this team with Semien gone.

Maybe they'll keep him. Haha ya I know, unlikely. With Berrois locked up I may prefer Semien to Ray honestly. 

The team's run differential was insanely good last season. If Springer can have a normal year this time I think they'll be ok. 

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I think the opposite.  I think they will sign Semien and not Ray.  Unless he wins the Cy Young then they will break the bank for both.

The chances of them signing Semien seem almost non-existent. He’s going to get paid a TON which the Blue Jays won’t do with Springer already on board along with contracts coming from Vlad and Bichette. They haven’t even been rumored to be in on Semien and he wants to go west.

My sports weekend:

Thursday:

Sabres lose 5-0

Friday:

Amerks win SO

Saturday:

Amerks lose 5-3

Syracuse football loses 41-17

Syracuse basketball loses to f’n Colgate 100-85

Sunday:

Bills lose 41-15

Sabres lose with .4 seconds left 5-4

All I needed was the Sabres to get to overtime and my brain would have rationalized how it was a decent sports weekend.  Instead, we’ll we all know what happened…sigh. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, inkman said:

My sports weekend:

Thursday:

Sabres lose 5-0

Friday:

Amerks win SO

Saturday:

Amerks lose 5-3

Syracuse football loses 41-17

Syracuse basketball loses to f’n Colgate 100-85

Sunday:

Bills lose 41-15

Sabres lose with .4 seconds left 5-4

All I needed was the Sabres to get to overtime and my brain would have rationalized how it was a decent sports weekend.  Instead, we’ll we all know what happened…sigh. 

So with you except I gave up on Orange football and Sabres hockey until they earn me back.

Was looking forward to 5 days off for Thanksgiving holiday.  Bills on Thanksgiving night. Orange basketball in the Bahamas at the Battle of Atlantis starting tomorrow.  Now I'm kind if dreading it.  Good thing there will be plenty of festive goodies and alcohol around.

Christ, Syracuse needs a friggin point guard! If I have to watch Joe Girard panic away one more possession because he can't ball handle, then pick up his dribble early, then throw a trash pass...

...as I type this he hits a 3 to give Syracuse the lead back. 

Doesn't change a thing.

39 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Christ, Syracuse needs a friggin point guard! If I have to watch Joe Girard panic away one more possession because he can't ball handle, then pick up his dribble early, then throw a trash pass...

...as I type this he hits a 3 to give Syracuse the lead back. 

Doesn't change a thing.

It’s an off year for the A10, too, except for the Bonnies at the top. VCU isn’t a strong group. 

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s an off year for the A10, too, except for the Bonnies at the top. VCU isn’t a strong group. 

No, they aren't. But Syracuse is not good either. They can't handle the ball. They don't really have an inside game either. The SU defense in this game was so bad I was kinda amazed.

57 minutes ago, ubkev said:

No, they aren't. But Syracuse is not good either. They can't handle the ball. They don't really have an inside game either. The SU defense in this game was so bad I was kinda amazed.

The backcourt is so key in college basketball. The tournament proves time and time again how important it is to have an experienced ball handler.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roy Jones Jr. Is headed to Canastota. Elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. 

The absolute, bar none, greatest pound for pound boxer that ever ***** lived!

Roy was a human highlight reel in the ring. An amazing entertainer and an even more amazing talent. He was the first middleweight champion to win the heavyweight title in over a century! I just wish he had retired after that fight. He'd have been unbeaten and undeniable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...