The other sports thread

Eleven

40 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

All this talk about New York, Boston, and Toronto, and no one paying attention to Seattle.  Go Mariners.

They have had a great seaon and have not given up.  Tied with the Jays 1 game back of the Sox.  They have as good a chance as the Jays.  Maybe better.

The Jays were so far out of it until their big run that they get all the play in the media.  And Toronto is, well Toronto.  My feelings are well known on The Great Satan.

2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see both the Yankees and Red Sox miss. Highly unlikely, but it could happen.

As an ***** Red Sox fan, if the price for the Yankees missing the playoffs is that the Red Sox miss too?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 2

Here we go ...

The AL Wildcard has come down to the last game of the season.

161 games played and 4 teams are still in the running.  Today will decide it, maybe?  There have been one game playoffs to get to the one game playoff.

Red Sox (1) and Yankees (2) are tied and hold the WC spots with records of 91 and 70.

Jays (4) and Mariners (3) are tied and 1 game back of the Sox and Yankees with records of 90 and 71.

There are all kinds of senarios, but it would be really interesting if the Jays and Mariners both won and Sox and Yankees both lost.  All 4 would have identical records.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, ubkev said:

Baseball season, baby!

I'll take the under on the Padres winning 95.5 games this season.

I'll also take the under on the Yankees winning 95.5 games this season.

I'll take the over on the Marlins winning 71.5 games.

2 outta 3 ain't bad.

15 hours ago, JujuFish said:

The Yankees and Red Sox both win.  It didn't matter what Seattle or Toronto did.

DAMN!!

With about 12 games left the talking heads in The Great Satan said the Jays would have to get to 92 wins to make it.  They were not wrong.  Great season for the Jays and Mariners.  Both look good and it would be awesome for the expansion cousins to play against each other in the post season.

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Washington, you have failed me yet again.

EXPOS!!

I have never cheared for them louder than yesterday evening.  Once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Sorry, Inky.

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

THAT'S the series-ending at-bat that I stayed up for?  A BS called first strike and an even worse appeal to first base on "strike" three?

Just brutal. This is the least-likable final four I've seen in any sport in a while. Go Braves, I guess?

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Just brutal. This is the least-likable final four I've seen in any sport in a while. Go Braves, I guess?

I really need some way for both AL teams to lose at the same time. I can't believe I might actually prefer Houston. 

I don't actually mind the Dodgers, hopefully them or the Braves take it. Hopefully the games are good, at least. This round was only ok, but I may be a bit biased after the dramatic Jays run came to an end

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I agree with you up until "Go Braves" at which point I put down the phone and silently walk into the sea. 

Hoo boy will I not be watching any of the rest of this.  

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’ve been a Dodgers fan my whole life. Other than a magical season with Orel Hersheiser on the mound, they’ve been a team that couldn’t get over the hump.  They had a 90s Bills vibe going until last season.  Just couldn’t rise up in the biggest moments, and add in the Astros cheating scandal.  I know they are huge spenders but they have been snakebit for so long.  

Edited by Weave

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I’ve been a Dodgers fan my whole life. Other than a magical season with Orel Hersheiser on the mound, they’ve been a team that couldn’t get over the hump.  They had a 90s Bills vibe going until last season.  Just couldn’t rise up in the biggest moments, and add in the Astros cheating scandal.  I know they are huge spenders but they have been snakebit for so long.  

The silver lining with the Dodgers is Max Scherzer and Trea Turner getting themselves another ring, so I can live with that. No silver lining for Houston. Boston? Well, at least I went to Fenway this year for a game.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm guessing the World Series exposure will be the straw that broke the camels back for the Braves team name and also crowd tomahawk chop.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32496167/world-series-2021-well-atlanta-braves-move-chop

Way back when the Braves were playing the Jays in the WS, there was a clip of avowed atheist Jane Fonda in a praying pose I one of the games.

The next Coaches Corner had Grapes asking nobody in particular just who she was praying to.  That's still a favorite Coaches Corner memory for this kid.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm guessing the World Series exposure will be the straw that broke the camels back for the Braves team name and also crowd tomahawk chop.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32496167/world-series-2021-well-atlanta-braves-move-chop

I’m not sure, but maybe Braves would not be viewed as derogatory, but there has to be some terrible history behind it.

The chop thing is just dumb.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:15 PM, Taro T said:

Way back when the Braves were playing the Jays in the WS, there was a clip of avowed atheist Jane Fonda in a praying pose I one of the games.

The next Coaches Corner had Grapes asking nobody in particular just who she was praying to.  That's still a favorite Coaches Corner memory for this kid.

She was raised atheist but is not an atheist anymore.  Not sure when she changed.

11 hours ago, ubkev said:

Went to the race in Martinsville today. It was awesome.

That's nice, and glad you had fun.

This thread is for sports.

• Haha (+1) 2