The other sports thread

Eleven

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Yankees are not messing around.

That's alot of pop added in Gallo and Rizzo. 

As a Nats fan I’m sitting here waiting for that Padres/Scherzer deal to get finalized if it ever does. Going to be heartbreaking to see him in another jersey but I hope to see him win another ring.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

As a Nats fan I’m sitting here waiting for that Padres/Scherzer deal to get finalized if it ever does. Going to be heartbreaking to see him in another jersey but I hope to see him win another ring.

I'm hoping the Yankees jump in on him too. I read there's a couple teams trying out do the offer? 

Just now, Norcal said:

I'm hoping the Yankees jump in on him too. I read there's a couple teams trying out do the offer? 

The report right now is that he wants to go to the NL West. He wants to win a title and being in the NL will boost his value as a free agent because of those ballparks.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

The report right now is that he wants to go to the NL West. He wants to win a title and being in the NL will boost his value as a free agent because of those ballparks.

He's been good a long time. He should have a say at this point I guess.

Yankees need some pitching, he would be amazing in pinstripes. Guess they'll just be brown instead. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

He's been good a long time. He should have a say at this point I guess.

Yankees need some pitching, he would be amazing in pinstripes. Guess they'll just be brown instead. 

He has a say, too, because of the 10-5 rule (10 years of service in the league, 5 straight with one tram gives him a no-trade clause).

I do think if the Nats told him the Yankees gave him the best deal he wouldn’t screw the Nats. He’s one of the top three or four best pitchers of this generation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

They're talking Dodgers now.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:13 AM, I-90 W said:

Yankees lineup is much more balanced now with the additions of Gallo and Rizzo. Cashman is a genius; picked up both with just prospects and both teams are retaining the salary.

Yeah, a little miffed the Rangers traded Gallo.  He even said he didn't want to be traded.  Such is sports biz.

Some good news out of the Texas Rangers though:  Catcher Jonah Heim from Buffalo set a Rangers record by hitting walk-off home runs in consecutive games.  I think this guy might be a start in the making.

As someone who roots for the Nationals and Blue Jays (both thanks mostly to Vladimir Guerrero, ironically - Blue Jays being a more recent thing) it was a rough deadline.

From a Blue Jays perspective: what in the ***** is this team doing giving up Austin Martin in a Berrios trade? Was Martin expendable? Sure, sort of. They've got plenty of infielders who are young in the system in front of him but he's also already started working out at center. He is a very good prospect and I'll be surprised if he's not a good MLB player. I like Berrios. He's good and he is under control BUT he's nothing more than a 3 or AT BEST a 2 in your rotation. If he's your 2 you're probably not contending in today's league.

From the Nats: that Scherzer/Turner trade ... YIKES. The return they got should have been in exchange for Turner alone. He's one of the top five shortstops in the entire game and is under control for another season. He's having his best offensive season to date ... and that's what you get WITH the best starter on the market attached to him? I'm not a big believer in either of the top prospects they got in exchange either. Then they flip the rest of their expiring guys (except Zimmerman who was never going to play elsewhere) for a bunch of nothing. They got nobody prospects.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, a little miffed the Rangers traded Gallo.  He even said he didn't want to be traded.  Such is sports biz.

Some good news out of the Texas Rangers though:  Catcher Jonah Heim from Buffalo set a Rangers record by hitting walk-off home runs in consecutive games.  I think this guy might be a start in the making.

Joey Callo?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.  But at least this year they aren't spending more time doing background stories than actual competitions.

I have noticed this and I really appreciate it.

There's also been a wider variety of sports than what I remember from the past.

• Like (+1) 1