The other sports thread

Eleven

25 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's actually a really good matchup, but without the fans and the weird season, it's just not as hyped up.

I hate the Dodgers but I'm pulling for them in this one. At least they have fans that come to the games, and there's some guys on LA that deserve a ring.

LA fans get to the game in the third inning and leave in the seventh.  But yes, at least they exist.

There is not a baseball team I detest more than the Dodgers.  They are on Flyers-Bruins-Dolphins level for me.

And Tampa is boring, and their town just won something.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

Man, that new SoFi Stadium in LA is sensational.  I guess with a cost of $5 Billion+, it ought to be, but it is.

I think the outside is *****. Looks like a dystopian factory where Skynet builds slave transports.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:54 AM, WildCard said:

Anyone else watch F1? Netflix has a great docu-series on it that got me hooked, and now I'm waking up at 7am on weekends to watch a Grand Prix lol

You might like the movie "Rush", which is a pretty good movie, stars Chris Hemsworth and is based on a true story about 2 rival F1 drivers in the 1970s.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

You might like the movie "Rush", which is a pretty good movie, stars Chris Hemsworth and is based on a true story about 2 rival F1 drivers in the 1970s.

Love that movie. Nicki Lauda is an incredible story, recently passed away too.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roman Grosjean (Haas F1 driver) crashed into the barrier yesterday on lap 1 of the grand prix, exploding the car in a fireball in two pieces; himself trapped in the fire for 20s. Grosjean lived with minor burns on his hands. Absolutely incredible that he's alive and just a wild scene to watch, we totally thought he was gone for when we saw it live.

Side note : Grosjean is an idiot. He routinely has idiotic crashes, and in this one he's trying to avoid the crash on his left so he cuts hard right on a straight-away for no reason really. This causes him to collide with another car and fly into the barrier, which also sucked because he blew through it. The only reason he still has a head and isn't decapitated is because F1 introduced a safety feature called a 'halo' which is a metal bar on the car surrounding the driver's head.

• 2 weeks later...

It's only MLS, but a championship is still pretty cool.  Especially considering that we almost lost the team and it took a huge grassroots effort to keep it.  This is really for the fans, which I'm not really one, who worked so hard to save their team.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

In light of the Cleveland Indians dropping their name, do you think the Blackhawks are next?

Maybe not next, but it will happen.  Even the Braves will likely drop their name even though many will say it is an honourable name.

Chicago Hawks coming up.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Well, that was a fun three weeks where being a Mets fan was not perpetual embarrassment.  Back to normal.  Ugh.

How can you be so good at your job, you end up making millions holding one of the top 30 positions in the world yet somehow you think sending 62 Dick pics is acceptable.  

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

How can you be so good at your job, you end up making millions holding one of the top 30 positions in the world yet somehow you think sending 62 Dick pics is acceptable.  

And then, when caught with his pants down (pun very much intended), thinking "They weren't pictures of MY penis" was going to be his get out of jail free card...  Galaxy brain stuff there.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

What kind of psycho sends 60 unanswered texts?

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

Every generation thinks they invented it.

I hear you, but they are wrong.

The BJs were invented in the spring of 1977.  I know.  I was there.  There was some talk for a few years, but '77 was when they were invented.

I was 12 years old that spring and by the fall when I was turning 13 the BJs were the talk of the town.

Where is our resident BJ expert ... paging @Boyes (or whatever you call yourself now ?????) ... pink courtesy phone ...

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...