The other sports thread

Eleven

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Yasiel Puig is still unsigned less than a month from opening day. With Judge and Stanton hurt(as per usual, it'll happen again btw), and the fact that Clint Frazier can't catch a cold. Should the Yankees take a flier on him? His batting line from last year is super average, and his fielding is slightly sub par these days. I'm not advocating a long term contract. But if the price is right, could it hurt? I'm looking at you @WildCard

I'd rather force Frazier to learn, he's such a better bat. They've also been trying Andjuar out there as well.

23 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I don't understand how WNYers can be Yankee fans.

12 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Same here, but there are a ton of Yankees fans in WNY.  Unfortunately, there are a ton of Yankees fans everywhere.

I think this is it, thanks for pointing it out. It's not really the proximity, but Yankees fans are like Cowboys fans where people that don't live particularly close to a team with a city tend to default to a couple big name teams. It helps that the Yankees are relatively close and the Blue Jays, Pirates, and Indians have a checkered past.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

A network that didn't exist when many of the posters here were kids.

But MSG network did. And they had every Yankees game on from the time I was 6 years old until I was 16. Then YES took over. 

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Same here, but there are a ton of Yankees fans in WNY.  Unfortunately, there are a ton of Yankees fans everywhere.

It doesn't help that the Yankees (8 hours away) have a dedicated network carried on our WNY cable, and the Blue Jays (1 1/2-2 hours away) are not carried locally. I'm a WNY Blue Jays fan and I can only watch a handful of games a year without paying for MLB.tv

Same reason there were a ton of Braves fans a generation ago - TBS/TNT carried almost all of their games.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

It doesn't help that the Yankees (8 hours away) have a dedicated network carried on our WNY cable, and the Blue Jays (1 1/2-2 hours away) are not carried locally. I'm a WNY Blue Jays fan and I can only watch a handful of games a year without paying for MLB.tv

Same reason there were a ton of Braves fans a generation ago - TBS/TNT carried almost all of their games.

Was a Jays fan growing up but yeah, the lack of TV availability made me switch. My Dad is a Braves fan for the exact reason you said

6 minutes ago, ubkev said:

But MSG network did. And they had every Yankees game on from the time I was 6 years old until I was 16. Then YES took over. 

I completely forgot about that one, probably because I never found myself clicking over to that station.  Those regional sports channels didn't have enough material to ever catch my eye.  A big part of why TBS brought so many people to Braves games is because they had non-sport syndicated shows on during the day.  I'm assuming WGN was the same way for the Cubs, but I never had that station.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I completely forgot about that one, probably because I never found myself clicking over to that station.  Those regional sports channels didn't have enough material to ever catch my eye.  A big part of why TBS brought so many people to Braves games is because they had non-sport syndicated shows on during the day.  I'm assuming WGN was the same way for the Cubs, but I never had that station.

WGN was pretty cool because the Cubs were always on when I got home from school. Because they played what seemed like 100 day games per year. I'd watch Cub games and Saturday Night Live re-runs at 3 in the afternoon. Ryne Sandberg and Adam Sandler.

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

WGN was pretty cool because the Cubs were always on when I got home from school. Because they played what seemed like 100 day games per year. I'd watch Cub games and Saturday Night Live re-runs at 3 in the afternoon. Ryne Sandberg and Adam Sandler.

Wrigley didn't have lights for a long time, and the Cubs are well known for loving day games

Just now, WildCard said:

Wrigley didn't have lights for a long time, and the Cubs are well known for loving day games

Yeah, Wrigley got lights when I was 3. I have a Topps card that commemorates it. Now it's one of those pieces of trivia that won't leave my head.

Red Sox will be bad this year.  They have officially created a new curse.  Trading a top 5 talent in the game for a couple of unproven kids because you needed to get out from under the luxury tax is embarrassing.  They Print money at Fenway and they are pinching pennies.  AL East teams should be like cling their chops.  I'm thinking 50 wins, tops.  

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Red Sox will be bad this year.  They have officially created a new curse.  Trading a top 5 talent in the game for a couple of unproven kids because you needed to get out from under the luxury tax is embarrassing.  They Print money at Fenway and they are pinching pennies.  AL East teams should be like cling their chops.  I'm thinking 50 wins, tops.  

Not to mention that Chris Sale is hurt now. Yeesh, might be a long year in beantown. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If you're a baseball fan, they're showing 2019 MLB games on Amazon Prime, basically showing them game by game.

Also I’m fairly certain that just about every game from 2004(?) onward is available for free on YouTube. Not a virus thing, MLBAM is just so much better at their job than any other sport (which is probably why the NHL hired them)

Edited by #freejame
Correction: all games since 2009, limited selection since 2005.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Jim Rome is going back through sports heels in recent history and right now is absolutely teeing off on Ryan Lochte.  It's hilarious.

Can't stand Rome.  Invites people onto his show and then baits them.  Biggest ***** of the 90's.

My godson can't catch a break.  XFL just suspended operations with no intent to return next season.  AAFL shut down on him.  He was starting LT for both teams at the time.

And he's running out of time to stick in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Invites people onto his show and then baits them. 

Nah, he doesn't do that anymore and hasn't for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

My godson can't catch a break.  XFL just suspended operations with no intent to return next season.  AAFL shut down on him.  He was starting LT for both teams at the time.

I had been kind of following him.  I heard about the XFL shutting down.  I think they had a 35% chance or so of making it if it weren't for the COVID thing.

I don't know anything about AAFL.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I had been kind of following him.  I heard about the XFL shutting down.  I think they had a 35% chance or so of making it if it weren't for the COVID thing.

I don't know anything about AAFL.

AAFL was the previous year.  It was an attempt at a developmental league but folded 5 or 6 games into the season.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I hold grudges.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Hey @Doohickie the Rangers are about to blow the 2011 World Series on ESPN, just in case you wanted to tune in. ?

***** every single sports team that has ever called Texas home!

Wait--except that Vince Young game against USC maybe?