The other sports thread

Eleven

Just now, Eleven said:

Horrible strike.  Buck was right, the plate was four feet wide.

I don't mind last night's mistake as much as I mind the Game 4 (I think it was four) ump who admitted that he called a ball because the catcher, who knew it was a strike, upstaged the ump by starting for the dugout.  Baseball has a real problem with umpire egos.

All terrible, terrible calls. All in one direction. 

All my life, I've never seen my favorite pro team win a championship.  I guess I have now.  It's not as exhilarating as I thought it would be.  Maybe I'll feel differently when the other 50th anniversary team I favor wins one in June.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

All my life, I've never seen my favorite pro team win a championship.  I guess I have now.  It's not as exhilarating as I thought it would be.  Maybe I'll feel differently when the other 50th anniversary team I favor wins one in June.

I think it was Phil Mickelson who said that winning never feels as good as losing feels bad.

While I think it's mostly true, I also think it's bull-*****.

You need to enjoy the ***** out of it and don't feel one bit guilty about feeling good about it.

Edited by SwampD

16 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think it was Phil Mickelson who said that winning never feels as good as losing feels bad.

While I think it's mostly true, I also think it's bull-*****.

You need to enjoy the ***** out of it and don't feel one bit guilty about feeling good about it.

I spent 22 years in a profession that was essentially based upon competition, and I would venture that Lefty is right (pun intended).  I'd savor a win on a trial or a major motion or appeal or something for about a day.  I have losses that still haunt me.

(Certainly, I have no guilt over the Nats winning--but I will mention, @SDS, that the website autocorrecting "Nats" to "Pats" is disgusting.)

Edited by Eleven

On 11/2/2019 at 7:54 PM, ubkev said:

It's fight night.

I'll take Krusher Kovalev over Canelo. And I'll take Nate Diaz against the whole world!

I went 0-2 and I can't believe it!

Are you talking about "Top" Rank Boxing on ESPN last night?  Because that was a joke.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Are you talking about "Top" Rank Boxing on ESPN last night?  Because that was a joke.

DAZN, not Top Rank. Different promoters. And I didn't actually get to see any of the fights, as I was at work, because they wouldn't start the Kovalev/Canelo fight until the UFC event had ended.

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

DAZN, not Top Rank. Different promoters. And I didn't actually get to see any of the fights, as I was at work, because they wouldn't start the Kovalev/Canelo fight until the UFC event had ended.

Gotcha.  The two Top Rank fights on Saturday might have combined for 3 rounds.  The first one was over in 1:05, and the second one did not last three full rounds.