The other sports thread

Eleven

So today closes out the Texas Rangers season, and their run at Globe Life Park.  Next year they will be in a new stadium across the street, one that is enclosed and air conditioned.

A couple of notable things about the weekend series against the Yankees:

• Saturday, God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch was sung by Charlie Pride.
  • Today, they simply had the organ music for it, and the fans sang.
  • They went full circle with the national anthem:  At the first game at GLP the national anthem was played by internationally acclaimed pianist Van Cliburn, accompanied by the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra.  Van has passed away, but the orchestra played the anthem today.
  • The first pitch today was thrown out by Nolan Ryan.

Wow, the Brewers just blew it so ***** hard! Yep, been there Milwaukee! Seen that several times. The state of Wisconsin will be able to blame their alcoholism on this game for years. Washington still sucks. Hope they beat the Dodgers though. I don't hope it a lot...but definitely a little.

11 hours ago, ubkev said:

Wow, the Brewers just blew it so ***** hard! Yep, been there Milwaukee! Seen that several times. The state of Wisconsin will be able to blame their alcoholism on this game for years. Washington still sucks. Hope they beat the Dodgers though. I don't hope it a lot...but definitely a little.

You had me for the first three sentences.

Jay Gruden got canned today as the Redskins head coach, and as a Washington fan, I must say I am truly happy for the guy.  He will look back at this day as one of the best days of his life, if he isn't already doing so.  The current state of affairs in Redskins land is not his fault.  That blame lies 100% on the shoulders of the owner Daniel Snyder.  Complete megalomaniac, incompetent jerk to the extreme.  If PA, with all his ownership issues, was a Redskins fan he would have spontaneously combusted long ago.

Two weeks ago the Redskins were on Monday Night Football, but I watched Ken Burns' Country Music documentary instead, and that was the right choice.

I know all the Bills fans here have suffered over the years, but you all have something that no sane Redskins fan has, and that's hope.  The Redskins will never do anything until Daniel Snyder is dead or in jail.  Personally, I'm kind of on the fence as to which I'd prefer.

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

Let’s go Nats!!!!!

What a comeback, but the Clayton post-season curse and the LA dumb ass manager certainly helped them get there.  Still they never give up and have been playing great / elimination baseball since about June 1st.

The Cardinals always seem to win it all if they make it to the LCS, but I think this may actually be the Expos year.  It's been a long time coming ... since 1981.