The other sports thread

Eleven

37 minutes ago, jsb said:

They played together with Durant early in their career and they're really good friends, I think they'll work it out but you are right they both like the ball

If only the no tenders to RFA NHL GMs could take a lesson from the NBA

What would they learn, to get a job with the big market or else you have no chance whatsoever, short of catching lightning in a bottle for one year?

Angels had their first home game since Tyler Skaggs’ passing. They had a small ceremony, moment of silence, his wife and parents on the field for the first pitch, etc. 

Then they batted around in the first, hung a 7 spot, and wound up scoring 13 overall. Trout obliterated the first pitch he saw for a 2R HR.

Trout’s first hit would prove to be enough, because the Mariners didn’t muster a single one. Two Angels pitchers combined to no-hit them. Dare I suggest it’s the first intentional “opener” no-hitter in MLB history?

Pretty special night. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 12:22 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, @Samson's Flow, although you will always be @Touched By Boyes to me, what have they done to your Blue Jays?

It's the inevitable big sell off to bank on the young guns. The team success is all riding on how well Vlad Jr, Bichette, Biggio etc do in transitioning to the big leagues. It can either turn out great (Houston with Altuve, Correa, Bregman) or not so great like Profar or Buxton to a certain extent.

Either way they are tough to watch now - but unlike the tank in hockey, relying on big prospects is a proven way to become a competitive team in MLB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ubkev said:

...for now! 

For now is right.  You can still mark Nadal down for the French every year until proven otherwise.  He's won 3 in a row, 8 of 10, and 12 out of 15.  Love watching him on clay.  If he can pick up one of the other Grand Slams like he did this year, that's a bonus.

I think the real competition is Djokovic who has 16 Grand Slams and pretty much owns the Australian, winning 6 of the last 9 of them, and Wimbledon, winning 4 of the last 6.  I think they both pass Federer.

The best stat I heard was that no one outside the big 3 has won a Grand Slam since 2016. (Federer 3, Nadal 5, and Djokovic 4)