The other sports thread

Eleven

Welp, the last page of this thread certainly illustrates why calling someone racist prevents any meaningful dialogue. Because I do think there's a meaningful discussion to be had about why calling the NBA a bunch of wannabe gangsters is more problematic than a poor choice of words. Having met Woody, I think he'd have been open to such a conversation. But, a grenade gets tossed and a learning moment gets blown up. Sigh. 

• Like (+1) 1

The NBA seems to be a great league and I love Kawhi and Lebron and Steph and Clay and many other stars but I just have such a hard time watching actual basketball games except for the last couple in a given NBA finals 

I have no feel for the sport and its excellent plays make far less of an impression on me than those in hockey or football (which are the two sports that take up 98% of my time)

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The NBA seems to be a great league and I love Kawhi and Lebron and Steph and Clay and many other stars but I just have such a hard time watching actual basketball games except for the last couple in a given NBA finals 

I have no feel for the sport and its excellent plays make far less of an impression on me than those in hockey or football (which are the two sports that take up 98% of my time)

I think that's because there are simply so many more excellent plays each game that each one is less impactful for the casual fan. It's easy to remember an incredible goal when they're 2 of them in a game. An incredible basket? There might be 2 dozen in each game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think that's because there are simply so many more excellent plays each game that each one is less impactful for the casual fan. It's easy to remember an incredible goal when they're 2 of them in a game. An incredible basket? There might be 2 dozen in each game. 

I don't think they're incredible though. Difficult, impressive within the bounds of the sport? Of course. But I've never seen a dunk that has made me want to see even a single replay, and the same can be said for almost every instance of elite ball-handling/shooting/whatever. I got to see Lebron's block, Kawhi's winner, and I've watched about 5 games in between those moments, and there wasn't a single thing that happened in the NBA in that span that I regret missing out on or would even be interested in seeing a highlight reel of

The sport just doesn't do it for me

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think they're incredible though. Difficult, impressive within the bounds of the sport? Of course. But I've never seen a dunk that has made me want to see even a single replay, and the same can be said for almost every instance of elite ball-handling/shooting/whatever. I got to see Lebron's block, Kawhi's winner, and I've watched about 5 games in between those moments, and there wasn't a single thing that happened in the NBA in that span that I regret missing out on or would even be interested in seeing a highlight reel of

The sport just doesn't do it for me

Fair enough. I can't really argue if it's just not your bag, because you just described exactly how I feel about baseball. So I get it. 

48 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

At least basketball allows for their athletes to make several exciting plays a game. With hockey, we're lucky to see a couple a game. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Maybe he shouldn’t have made a racist comment. We can only judge people based on the actions they present to us. It was a racist comment. It’s not that difficult.

This problem would go away much faster if people stepped up and called people on their *****.

Now we’re playing dumb, too?

Hoss.  You’re way off on this one.  Like ***** miles away.  It wasn’t even a race-based comment (the NBA has non-black players and gangs have non-black members) until YOU colored it that way.  And you’re talking about a guy who visits Africa in his free time to provide medical care.

Please resist the temptation to double- or triple-down on your accusation and consider apologizing to the guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Hoss.  You’re way off on this one.  Like ***** miles away.  It wasn’t even a race-based comment (the NBA has non-black players and gangs have non-black members) until YOU colored it that way.  And you’re talking about a guy who visits Africa in his free time to provide medical care.

Please resist the temptation to double- or triple-down on your accusation and consider apologizing to the guy.

Maybe not explicitly in this case, but there is a fairly sizeable history of people equating blacks who have tattoos with gangsters and the like in derogatory fashion with similarly derogatory intent. Racialized attitudes about NBA players aren't a Hoss creation, and the language is legitimately problematic. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:04 AM, dudacek said:

To anyone not invested solely in cheering on the home team, the US women’s soccer team is a seriously unlikeable bunch.

Some are. Some aren’t. I strongly disliked the over the top celebrations when thrashing Thailand. Otherwise, they really upped their game the last four years. Teams that fight through adversity often endear themselves to the fans. This group didn’t have that opportunity. 

9 hours ago, ubkev said:

This HR Derby is the greatest spectacle I've ever seen! 

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

Yup what an event that was

9 hours ago, ubkev said:

I'll give Pete Alonso an honorable mention. That was all Vlad Jr. and Joc.

Watching the derby now as I was at work while it was happening.  Just watched Vlad’s round 1.  I hope everybody else gets the benefit of no longer having the first ball landing before the next one gets tossed up like he blatantly did... 

Yeah, the “wait for it to land” rule seems to have dissipated. If all pitchers ignore it, then it’s a fair playing field. It’s better that way- more home runs ? Although the record books of years past don’t stand a chance...

We talked scalpers down to $150 yesterday but couldn’t get any lower. Decided to spend that on BBQ and beer instead and watch from bars. We have tickets to the game today but came up a day early for the atmosphere. Was pretty fun!

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Westbrook to Houston for CP3 and picks, and now OKC owns every draft pick until 2026

I have no idea how Westbrook and Harden are going to work together. I guess like the first year of LeBron and Wade in Miami where they essentially take turns? Regardless, the NBA offseason is so fun. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have no idea how Westbrook and Harden are going to work together. I guess like the first year of LeBron and Wade in Miami where they essentially take turns? Regardless, the NBA offseason is so fun. 

They played together with Durant early in their career and they're really good friends, I think they'll work it out but you are right they both like the ball

If only the no tenders to RFA NHL GMs could take a lesson from the NBA

1 minute ago, jsb said:

They played together with Durant early in their career and they're really good friends, I think they'll work it out but you are right they both like the ball

If only the no tenders to RFA NHL GMs could take a lesson from the NBA

Yea, but that was a way different version of Harden. I think it'll be fun, just not sure I know how well it will work against the top teams in the West.