The other sports thread

Eleven

What a wild time in the NBA, easily the most entertaining league in America.

There’s so many teams that can contend in the West now. 

Sad to see Kawhi go but have zero hard feelings and hope he wins one with the Clippers now, too. He brought so much joy to Toronto, Canada and the NBA.

An all-LA Western Conference Finals sounds fun.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Not an exaggeration: I initially typed this exact thing. Then I realized it's the most entertaining in-season, too.

It's an unfair comparison, though. It's a sport that allows for way more personality. You're shoving ten guys onto the smallest playing field of any and (yes, I think this is a factor) they wear the smallest uniform in men's major pro sports. You get to know these guys better than any league.

That and the product is so damn good. Easy to create villains and heroes.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Not an exaggeration: I initially typed this exact thing. Then I realized it's the most entertaining in-season, too.

It's an unfair comparison, though. It's a sport that allows for way more personality. You're shoving ten guys onto the smallest playing field of any and (yes, I think this is a factor) they wear the smallest uniform in men's major pro sports. You get to know these guys better than any league.

It's a bunch of overgrown gangster wannabes, with little to no pain tolerance, in one of the worst sports ever, besides baseball. 

Now that's how to troll. 

Only I'm serious ??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's a bunch of overgrown gangster wannabes, with little to no pain tolerance, in one of the worst sports ever, besides baseball. 

Now that's how to troll. 

Only I'm serious ??

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand you’re racist.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JujuFish said:

RIP, NS.

I will take one season like the Raptors had and win a championship and say thank you very much superstar.

No hard feelings at all and best wishes to you and your family.  I understand completely your decision.  Once again, thank you very much for what you brought to the team, the city and the country.

If it were me I would make that trade 1,000 times out of 1,000.

I wish there is a similar trade made at some point soon by the Sabres.

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

It use to be good... now its a bunch of tall no defense playing whiny wimps.  Yes they are very good at what they do, but who cares when you have two guys who play on your team and rest stand around and watch... meh

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Nope. Racist. Moving on...

If anything his first statement was prejudicial, which =/= racism. Racism has prejudice in it, but prejudicial statements do not make a racist. You calling people racist is just as harmful towards dialogue as blanket statements about basketball players. 

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If anything his first statement was prejudicial, which =/= racism. Racism has prejudice in it, but prejudicial statements do not make a racist. You calling people racist is just as harmful towards dialogue as blanket statements about basketball players. 

“Wannabe gangsters” is unarguably racist.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

“Wannabe gangsters” is unarguably racist.

It’s not though...

Prejudice-preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

Racism-  a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race  

Racist statements are rooted in prejudice. Prejudicial statements are rooted in ignorance. 

Normally I would just say Id erase the comment and say f it, but in this case, no. I'm not being racist, I am not a racist, and I'm not going to apologize for a message board post where I said something "off color" sure it was maybe a bad generalization, bad wording, whatever. But either way, get over it. 

Basketball still sucks 

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Imagine defending a racist comment because semantics are more important to you.

That’s not why I’m defending it. I’m defending it because calling people racist who aren’t racist takes away from what actual racism is and is incredibly harmful to dialogue and discourse. Not to mention that people who hold prejudicial views can overcome their ignorance. But not by calling them a racist. 

Edited by #freejame
Not to mention I’m not defending the comment, I’m saying the person who made it isn’t a racist.
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, #freejame said:

That’s not why I’m defending it. I’m defending it because calling people racist who aren’t racist takes away from what actual racism is and is incredibly harmful to dialogue and discourse. Not to mention that people who hold prejudicial views can overcome their ignorance. But not by calling them a racist. 

Your definition of racism above fits what he said. He is saying because of their blackness they are just wannabe gangsters. He stated this is why their sport sucks.

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Imagine defending a racist comment because semantics are more important to you.

Imagine calling a guy racist who has done so much more for people in impoverished countries with multitudes of ethinicities than you'll ever hope to be able to do.

Wyld is certainly guilty of poor judgement at an attempt at humor.  Given what you've thrown out there, you're guilty of much worse here. 

Just now, Hoss said:

Your definition of racism above fits what he said. He is saying because of their blackness they are just wannabe gangsters. He stated this is why their sport sucks.

I did not say anything about black or skin color, not once, thank you for putting words in my mouth. 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Imagine calling a guy racist who has done so much more for people in impoverished countries with multitudes of ethinicities than you'll ever hope to be able to do.

Wyld is certainly guilty of poor judgement at an attempt at humor.  Given what you've thrown out there, you're guilty of much worse here. 

Maybe he shouldn’t have made a racist comment. We can only judge people based on the actions they present to us. It was a racist comment. It’s not that difficult.

This problem would go away much faster if people stepped up and called people on their *****.

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I did not say anything about black or skin color, not once, thank you for putting words in my mouth. 

Now we’re playing dumb, too?

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Thank you, I admit that it was poor judgment and wording on my part 

I just don't like basketball and baseball, can we all just please move on 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Maybe he shouldn’t have made a racist comment. We can only judge people based on the actions they present to us. It was a racist comment. It’s not that difficult.

This problem would go away much faster if people stepped up and called people on their *****.

???? Playing dumb.... Oh you crack me up 

54 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The more this conversation goes on, the more I'm convinced that you're the one being racist.

18 hours ago, Hoss said:

What a wild time in the NBA, easily the most entertaining league in America.

There’s so many teams that can contend in the West now. 

Sad to see Kawhi go but have zero hard feelings and hope he wins one with the Clippers now, too. He brought so much joy to Toronto, Canada and the NBA.

An all-LA Western Conference Finals sounds fun.

I am a casual follower of the NBA.  Watch a handful of games (not even full games), but I like to keep up on the standings and the news online.

One thing I'll say...this might be the season I am the most interested in of any major sports league in memory (besides strictly Buffalo teams).  At least going into this year...the possibilities for who is going to be good, who is going to contend for the title....almost endless.

There are probably 6 teams in the west that have a legit shot of coming out of there as champs...and in the east...Mil and Philly legit shots...but you can't rule out Boston or Toronto pending injuries to Mil and Philly.

Wide open.  So many teams with a 'big 2 star players' that there should be a ton of close, entertaining matchups through the entire season.

A dream for someone who just wants to follow the standings.

Edited by mjd1001