The other sports thread

Eleven

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I honestly kinda hate that combo of players. I don't think they'll be good, at all. Just not a good fit. 

Jordan covers for Kyrie defensively, while Kyrie and Durant both have complete offensive games. Kyrie could stand to be a better playmaker, but still. What's not to like? Again, this assumes Durant returns to form. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Jordan covers for Kyrie defensively, while Kyrie and Durant both have complete offensive games. Kyrie could stand to be a better playmaker, but still. What's not to like? Again, this assumes Durant returns to form. 

I think Kyrie is the piece that bothers me. He got game but I question his decision making. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Is Kyrie that much of an improvement over DeAngelo?

Yes. DeAngelo is inefficient as all get out (that’s the saying, right resident old people?)

But the contract they gave DeAndre Jordan is insane. If Durant sits out all year they’re not winning anything year one. Small window there.

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Wow. Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs dead at age 27. No information on cause of death. They were in Texas for a game against the Rangers, which has been understandably postponed.

I kind of wish they could cancel all game today in a case like this. Probably a risky move though in case a bad story comes out later. 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’s taking his time. It sounds like it’s Raps, Lakers or Clippers with a lot of talk that the Clippers are out of it.

Yup.  That is the latest poop.  It seems that the Clippers are out of it.  Lakers making a push, which would be a disaster all the way around.

I still think that when he comes back to meet in Toronto with the Raptors he will also sign his new contract.  I still think he will stay.

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.  That is the latest poop.  It seems that the Clippers are out of it.  Lakers making a push, which would be a disaster all the way around.

I still think that when he comes back to meet in Toronto with the Raptors he will also sign his new contract.  I still think he will stay.

I think if he does stay it’s for one or two seasons. Probably a two-year deal with a player option.

Just now, Hoss said:

I think if he does stay it’s for one or two seasons. Probably a two-year deal with a player option.

That is a distinct possibility.  Defend the title with the same group of guys, who are mostly FA after this coming season, and then be in line for another max deal.  He did miss out on a max deal in San Antonio when he was traded, so he may not want to miss this opportunity and be short something like 75 - 100 million $ over the two missed max deals.  I really don't think he is motivated by the $, though.

20 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That is a distinct possibility.  Defend the title with the same group of guys, who are mostly FA after this coming season, and then be in line for another max deal.  He did miss out on a max deal in San Antonio when he was traded, so he may not want to miss this opportunity and be short something like 75 - 100 million $ over the two missed max deals.  I really don't think he is motivated by the $, though.

The NBA gambling deal kicks in next season so there’s a chance the cap goes up a lot once more. But I think he wants to get to LA in his prime but might not be comfortable with it right now.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I hope Kawhi goes to the Lakers because I want LeBron to have a real chance at a couple more titles. 

LeBron has a shot pretty much as is as long as they build a team with whatever free agents are left but I wouldn’t mind LeBron securing several more titles.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

LeBron has a shot pretty much as is as long as they build a team with whatever free agents are left but I wouldn’t mind LeBron securing several more titles.

I'm not sure they do. They had a ton of flexibility last year after LeBron signed and decided to acquire...Rajon Rondo and Lance Stephenson. Then this year they almost completely botched the Davis trade and were only saved by him voiding his trade kicker. I think they're pretty incompetent and basically need moron-proof signings or they'll get it wrong. 

27 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not sure they do. They had a ton of flexibility last year after LeBron signed and decided to acquire...Rajon Rondo and Lance Stephenson. Then this year they almost completely botched the Davis trade and were only saved by him voiding his trade kicker. I think they're pretty incompetent and basically need moron-proof signings or they'll get it wrong. 

I’m skeptical on the reports that they didn’t understand the cap implications. Largely because Woj reported after it got quiet that the understanding was the deal would be consummated immediately if a third team got involved and later if no third team got involved. A third team did end up getting involved when the Pels traded the Lakers pick. So the Lakers did know about the cap implications but didn’t have a choice.

Also, Rondo was a good signing. They should sign him again.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I’m skeptical on the reports that they didn’t understand the cap implications. Largely because Woj reported after it got quiet that the understanding was the deal would be consummated immediately if a third team got involved and later if no third team got involved. A third team did end up getting involved when the Pels traded the Lakers pick. So the Lakers did know about the cap implications but didn’t have a choice.

Also, Rondo was a good signing. They should sign him again.

That's fair on the cap implications. But I disagree on Rondo. Boston Rondo would have been good, but he still can't shoot and his defense isn't anywhere near what it was. Just a really bad fit for LeBron. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

That's fair on the cap implications. But I disagree on Rondo. Boston Rondo would have been good, but he still can't shoot and his defense isn't anywhere near what it was. Just a really bad fit for LeBron. 

Great fit with what the Lakers have planned for “new” LeBron as they look to extend his career.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I hope Kawhi goes to the Lakers because I want LeBron to have a real chance at a couple more titles. 

He won't now, IMO, especially since Magic quit the team.  There is something not quite right in Laker land.  Not to mention LA is basically a desert with no lakes to speak of, so it is lame that they kept the name when they abandoned Mini.  

Anyway, I think Kawhi wants a chance to prove that this Raptor championship was not a fluke and will sign a 1 + 1 deal with Toronto.  It is unlikely that GS will make it back to the final next season.  He wants a chance to show that anyone saying injuries played a big role, which it may have, but I still say the way the Raptors were playing in the final they beat a full strength GS team.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Great fit with what the Lakers have planned for “new” LeBron as they look to extend his career.

Again, classic Rondo sure. But he's a shell of that. He hasn't been at his career average PER since 2015-16. His strengths have diminished without his weaknesses improving. 

Anywho, at least we agree that LeBron is better than Jordan. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Again, classic Rondo sure. But he's a shell of that. He hasn't been at his career average PER since 2015-16. His strengths have diminished without his weaknesses improving. 

Anywho, at least we agree that LeBron is better than Jordan. 

Rondo is still a useful backup PG. What he was in Boston is irrelevant because he’s getting small, one-year contracts. On continuous one-year deals he’s a good fit. He also showed he’s still capable of changing an entire game from time to time last year, as well.

The game in Boston where he hit the game winner is a good example. There was a stretch of five or six possessions where he was the best player on the floor making the smartest plays. We all know LeBron could use more smart players around him (especially with reporters JR Smith is likely to join him in LA).

And yes, LeBron is the GOAT.

Edited by Hoss