The other sports thread

Eleven

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

Somehow I think Durant is secretly happy about this  

The Raptors are playing some of the best basketball a team has ever played.  They are clicking on every aspect of the game.  If they had not crapped that 3rd in game 2 this series would have been a sweep.  This Raptor team as they are playing now would give the best teams down through the NBA ages a run for their money.

And spare me with that injury depleted Warriors team crap.

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Raptors are playing some of the best basketball a team has ever played.  They are clicking on every aspect of the game.  If they had not crapped that 3rd in game 2 this series would have been a sweep.  This Raptor team as they are playing now would give the best teams down through the NBA ages a run for their money.

And spare me with that injury depleted Warriors team crap.

Sorry NS but no way. They're playing great yes bit nowhere near all time great

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Sorry NS but no way. They're playing great yes bit nowhere near all time great

Wrong.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I hate quoting 'that guy', but ... and I said a 'run for their money' and not that they would beat some of the all time great teams ...

David Ortiz has been shot in the Dominican Republic. This type of thing happens far too often to Latin ballplayers and quite frankly it breaks my heart. I don’t believe he was targeted, but too often are Latin players are when they return home. I never liked him when he was playing but I’m hoping for a swift recovery. 

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

David Ortiz has been shot in the Dominican Republic. This type of thing happens far too often to Latin ballplayers and quite frankly it breaks my heart. I don’t believe he was targeted, but too often are Latin players are when they return home. I never liked him when he was playing but I’m hoping for a swift recovery. 

He was indeed targeted, though perhaps incorrectly.  If that makes sense.  DR police are investigating that now.

Gunman arrived at the club on motorcycle, got off, directly approached Ortiz, and shot him point-blank in the back.

The good news is the bullet didn't hit anything important, he is doing fine out of surgery, and should make a full recovery.

Sounds like the gunman didn’t get far, according to ESPN

According to Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, the gunman was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar. Bautista said police are waiting until the man undergoes treatment before questioning him.

The Premier Lacrosse League doesn't assign its teams to cities. Interesting. I'm also intrigued by the faceoff procedure where the ball is placed between two sticks and then the official backs away. Not sure if there was a whistle or hand signal or what to initiate the faceoff. It would never be done in hockey, but I can't help think it would be better than the warthog afterbirth that is the current procedure.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The Premier Lacrosse League doesn't assign its teams to cities. Interesting. I'm also intrigued by the faceoff procedure where the ball is placed between two sticks and then the official backs away. Not sure if there was a whistle or hand signal or what to initiate the faceoff. It would never be done in hockey, but I can't help think it would be better than the warthog afterbirth that is the current procedure.

There is a whistle, and  there is a penalty for moving the stick prematurely (other team gets possession).

So, the Raptors lost game 5 at home by 1.

In other news ... the NBA admits that the refs missed a shooting 2 foul against Gosel in the final minute, with GS up by 3 at the time.

In other, other news ... some of the fans in The Great Satan were real dinks.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This NBA Finals game is insane.

The entire final series was great and very entertaining.  @shrader will want me banned for saying that.  The NBA playoffs are usually very good, or at least mostly good.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

That ending was awful, though.

My feelings on Toronto are well known, but I am happy that the Raptors won it all.  Why do you think the ending was awful?

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, um, do they always give the NBA championship trophy to the owners first?

Yes.  As far as I know anyway.  Does not the NFL do that too?

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The entire final series was great and very entertaining.  @shrader will want me banned for saying that.  The NBA playoffs are usually very good, or at least mostly good.

My feelings on Toronto are well known, but I am happy that the Raptors won it all.  Why do you think the ending was awful?

Yes.  As far as I know anyway.  Does not the NFL do that too?

Just the very end when they already won it. Then had to put .9 seconds back on the clock to win it again.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Congrats NS, don't care for professional basketball but glad someone other than these player coopted made up teams won a championship... haven't been able to watch much since MJ left and they played real basketball... no blood no foul.

Thanks, but I'm not really a fan of the team, or the NBA, but am just glad that an underdog from a small(?) market city won it.  I am happy if that happens in any sport, really, especially when an unexpected (not sure if the Raptors winning was all that unexpected) team beats out the defending champs.

@Hoss, now he is a real fan and must be very happy.

• Like (+1) 1

Kawhi was drafted 15th overall. Pretty remarkable in its own right. But perhaps more impressive is that it actually makes him the highest drafted Raptor. Lowry, Siakam, and Ibaka were late first rounders. Gasol, Danny Green, Powell were all mid-to-late second rounders. An undrafted VanVleet put that team on his back last night to win them game 6.

Compare that to the Warriors, who had KD (1st), Steph (7th), Klay (11th), Cousins (5th, Igoudala (9th), Livingston (4th), Bogut (1st). Still value to be had later for GSW, with Draymond as an early second rounder and Looney a late first. Cook undrafted.

Fun stuff considering the typical NBA roster assembly.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

Kawhi was drafted 15th overall. Pretty remarkable in its own right. But perhaps more impressive is that it actually makes him the highest drafted Raptor. Lowry, Siakam, and Ibaka were late first rounders. Gasol, Danny Green, Powell were all mid-to-late second rounders. An undrafted VanVleet put that team on his back last night to win them game 6.

Compare that to the Warriors, who had KD (1st), Steph (7th), Klay (11th), Cousins (5th, Igoudala (9th), Livingston (4th), Bogut (1st). Still value to be had later for GSW, with Draymond as an early second rounder and Looney a late first. Cook undrafted.

From what I have seen of him ... highlights and talking heads talking ... I think Lowry is right on when he said that he feels Kawhi is the best 2 way player in the NBA.  I wonder if he will stay in Toronto?  He will be offered max contracts by many teams, including Toronto, but my understanding is that Toronto is the only team that can offer the extra (4th, I think) year, which means countless more millions.  I think he will sign in Toronto and try to go back-to-back.

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well Durant will miss 9 months with a torn Achilles and Klay will miss around 6 with a torn ACL

I wonder were KD will be playing next season.  He should be back in game shape for the playoffs.  In his limited time in game 5 I think he set the tone for the GS win.

Side note ...

I wonder if the Raptors will be invited to the White House?  If so, will they accept?

Will they be invited to Parliament?  I say yes and they will go.  The whole country really put aside whatever differences the different areas of the country may have and adopted the Raptors.  It really wasn't a Toronto only thing with 'Jurassic Park(s)' springing up everywhere.  MLSE officially sponsored one here in downtown Halifax, which was jammed for every game.  Thousands attended.  I'm way too old for that kind of stuff.

47 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

Vanvleet was clutch, making the 3 pointers that Danny Green was supposed to make. His D on Curry was good too.