The other sports thread

Eleven

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I would love to see Kawhi stay in Toronto.  He is awesome and they have a very good organization.

I came into the playoffs thinking it’s a 30% chance of him staying. Then they went on the run. Now I’ll give it 50% because he’s a true wildcard. I’ve had a feeling he was heading to the Clippers for a while.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I came into the playoffs thinking it’s a 30% chance of him staying. Then they went on the run. Now I’ll give it 50% because he’s a true wildcard. I’ve had a feeling he was heading to the Clippers for a while.

The Clippers have a very good organization too, and if they get Kawhi they could easily land another big star FA, so if he wants to go home it would be a logical landing spot for him.

I know very little about Indy Car racing.  That said, I am now watching a replay of yesterday’s race, quietly enjoying Foyt, Unser, Rutherford, Donohue, and Andretti memories.  My impression .. there is a young American named Alexander Rossi who’s just fun to watch.  At first, he was a little too demonstrative for my personal taste, (waving hands and fists at his pit team struggling with equipment problems), but he grew on me.  A bad pit set him back, but he came out driving like a mad man, passing racer after racer.  He waived his fist at competitor while passing!  Twenty five laps to go.  Rossi in second .... and possessed.

Well, it’s finished ....  wowza!

Edited by Neo

On 5/27/2019 at 11:38 AM, Neo said:

I recently discovered Chart Party on YouTube.   What fun stuff.  My first view ... 

Some interesting stuff, especially in this era of ascendent analytics.

He lost me when he said the Bills are Buffalo's only pro sports team but I generally agree w/ him.

His piece on the 1904 olympic marathon is great:

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

I want to like basketball and root for Toronto. I just can’t stand the sound of it.

I'm all for it. In fact, i want the Raptors to become so good that everybody forgets that the Leafs exist.

Edited by sodbuster

6 hours ago, shrader said:

So a guy from New Mexico State blew up in that game last night?  My brother went there 20-some years ago and I've never heard the school get any press whatsoever. 

Generally when a person self combusts it makes the news 

6 hours ago, shrader said:

So a guy from New Mexico State blew up in that game last night?  My brother went there 20-some years ago and I've never heard the school get any press whatsoever. 

Pascal can have my babies

I haven't watched an NBA game in a loooong time.

It's changed.

The athleticism is astounding.

The play as well. There are way more touch passes(?) than I remember. It's pretty awesome.

… still don't like the sound of basketball, though.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I haven't watched an NBA game in a loooong time.

It's changed.

The athleticism is astounding.

The play as well. There are way more touch passes(?) than I remember. It's pretty awesome.

… still don't like the sound of basketball, though.

That’s a cool view of the game.

Whatcha mean the sounds? That’s interesting, I’ve never heard that before.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

That’s a cool view of the game.

Whatcha mean the sounds? That’s interesting, I’ve never heard that before.

55 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sneakers squeaking?  That's all I can think of.

Yep. That’s part of it.

It’s the whole thing: the crowd (I just can’t stay that excited for that long), the sneaker squeaking, the ball bouncing, the whistles, even the buzzer when there is a substitution is obnoxious. I know it’s weird, but the whole soundscape just gives me an uneasy feeling.

51 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. That’s part of it.

It’s the whole thing: the crowd (I just can’t stay that excited for that long), the sneaker squeaking, the ball bouncing, the whistles, even the buzzer when there is a substitution is obnoxious. I know it’s weird, but the whole soundscape just gives me an uneasy feeling.

You know what's even worse?  When you're in a gym lobby or the locker room and some kid is dribbling a basketball in there.  The way it echoes through an enclosed area like that?  That sound drives me mad.