The other sports thread

Eleven

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, kinda recruit themselves

Isn't that all we need to know?

And in all of college sports?  You have to deal with several DI college football programs and UConn for women's basketball.

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Just go back in this thread like 2 pages. 

One person isn't an obnoxious fanbase.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Didn't they win a championship?

You're out of your mind.

He's not the best recruiter in college basketball, not by a long shot.  And all of college sports?!

LOL

Knew somebody would come back with that reaction; expected it to be Hoss.

You ever been to Syracuse in the winter?  It's not exactly Batavia, but that's not a far stretch.  It is amazing he can get any mid-tier, much less top, recruits to go there, but he has had some true diamonds through the years.

Cap Anson once said he wanted his gravestone to read "Here lies a man who hit .300"

Now, he was a horrible human being and an irredeemable racist for his entire life, but that's a damn good quote.

Damn, i love early 20th century baseball. The characters, the stories. It's so addictive to me.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

NBA on Christmas is just one of the many reasons Thanksgiving will always beat Christmas

The NFL games on Christmas are routinely horrible though, featuring bad teams because of dumb tradition. The NBA gives premier matchups everyone wants to see. Except the Knicks this year, not sure what happened there. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 9:23 AM, Eleven said:

Duke is nowhere near as annoying as Syracuse!

I'm a UNC alum living in NC, so I respectfully beg to differ.  It's pronounced dook by the way.  Your average dook fan here is like the worst Patriots fan cranked up on meth.  I couldn't possibly hate any team more than dook, personally (Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, Alabama, Patriots, Yankees, etc.), but I'd like to think I'm somewhat objective about it.  Jay Bilas is the most insightful and entertaining NCAA BB analyst out there and has been for a long time.  Grant Hill is the classiest basketball player/person ever.  I won't bore you with the dook players I can't stand, but the real reason for my hatred is Coach K.  Biggest ***** on the planet.  He makes Dick Cheney look like a good candidate for sainthood.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BagBoy said:

I'm a UNC alum living in NC, so I respectfully beg to differ.  It's pronounced dook by the way.  Your average dook fan here is like the worst Patriots fan cranked up on meth.  I couldn't possibly hate any team more than dook, personally (Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, Alabama, Patriots, Yankees, etc.), but I'd like to think I'm somewhat objective about it.  Jay Bilas is the most insightful and entertaining NCAA BB analyst out there and has been for a long time.  Grant Hill is the classiest basketball player/person ever.  I won't bore you with the dook players I can't stand, but the real reason for my hatred is Coach K.  Biggest ***** on the planet.  He makes Dick Cheney look like a good candidate for sainthood.

I dated a UNC gal once.  It's easily equally annoying from that side.  (Well, she was just annoying in her own way, I guess, but damn, she was...)  But trust me, the UNC thing about Duke, well, why don't you just beat them?

Edited by Eleven

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I dated a UNC gal once.  It's easily equally annoying from that side.  (Well, she was just annoying in her own way, I guess, but damn, she was...)  But trust me, the UNC thing about Duke, well, why don't you just beat them?

Do the math.  UNC wins almost exactly 50% of the time.  It's a perfect rivalry.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ubkev said:

Another year gone by and the greatest baseball player who ever lived is still not elected to the Hall of Fame.

And instead Edgar gets in... dude is not a Hall of Famer. The MLB Hall of Fame is just the Hall of Really Good.

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

And instead Edgar gets in... dude is not a Hall of Famer. The MLB Hall of Fame is just the Hall of Really Good.

It's the a bunch of really old writers voting players in based off of character instead of talent. Curt Schilling should be in the HoF, but because he's an objectionable moron and jackas$ he's not