The other sports thread

Eleven

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Disclaimer: the NCAA is a criminal syndicate that needs to be shut down immediately.

anyway, it's adorable that UB decided to have an athletic department about five years ago.  Good for you guys.  

Not really a UB fan but there is an awful lot of this smug stuff floating around the interwebs. Are you a Bona fan? As that's where I'm seeing most of this disgruntled talk coming from. 

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Disclaimer: the NCAA is a criminal syndicate that needs to be shut down immediately.

anyway, it's adorable that UB decided to have an athletic department about five years ago.  Good for you guys.  

Not really a UB fan but there is an awful lot of this smug stuff floating around the interwebs. Are you a Bona fan? As that's where I'm seeing most of this disgruntled talk coming from. 

12 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

The big gripe I have is how dramatic the UB fans have been about this win. Hell, even Nate Oats got into it on Twitter. You could say act like you’ve been there before but they legit had never won in the RC before yesterday. This doesn’t change the years of dominance by Bonas.

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The big gripe I have is how dramatic the UB fans have been about this win. Hell, even Nate Oats got into it on Twitter. You could say act like you’ve been there before but they legit had never won in the RC before yesterday. This doesn’t change the years of dominance by Bonas.

This is Yankees fan schtick when talking about the Red Sox recent successes. It smacks of sour grapes. 

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

In defense, Bona fans trolling UB with a "we want UB" chant while playing Canisius will do that.  Acting like you've been there before could have started with the team and school that's actually been there before.

Edited by Weave

30 minutes ago, inkman said:

Bona grad.  As far as I’m concerned everyone’s basketball program can get in the sea.   But let’s be honest, UB is playing with found money.  And their coach could probably stand to gain a bit of class.  And stay off Twitter.  

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

I believe they are sitting in on every single thing that FIFA does and are taking copious notes.  They are following the lead of the most corrupt organization in the world.  And that is saying something, as the world is pretty full of corrupt organizations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

In defense, Bona fans trolling UB with a "we want UB" chant while playing Canisius will do that.  Acting like you've been there before could have started with the team and school that's actually been there before.

Every single fan base does these chants. I truly am baffled by the softness of UB fans in the win. It’s part of the entire college experience for Christ’s sake.

50 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Yup, that’s exactly it.  

UB discovered basketball last year so now this is their new normal for a bit. They’ll be back to the basement of a terrible conference next year and we’ll all forget about them again.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

This is Yankees fan schtick when talking about the Red Sox recent successes. It smacks of sour grapes. 

I’d hope not. The Red Sox have been competitive and better than the Yankees for a while now.

Edited by Hoss

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Every single fan base does these chants. I truly am baffled by the softness of UB fans in the win. It’s part of the entire college experience for Christ’s sake.

UB discovered basketball last year so now this is their new normal for a bit. They’ll be back to the basement of a terrible conference next year and we’ll all forget about them again.

I’d hope not. The Red Sox have been competitive and better than the Yankees for a while now.

LOL the only one's reacting with softness are Bona fans.  You must wear coats indoors with skin so thin.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/9/2018 at 9:24 AM, inkman said:

If you want to go with a baseball analogy, wouldn't it have to be something more like Pirates fans taking shots at Reds fans, two teams so far off of any radar?

8 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Oh, I was. Still celebrating. I can't believe that in the same season I get to talk smack to two of the most insufferable fanbases: Bona and Cuse. 

St. Bonaventure has an insufferable fanbase?  I really never noticed.

Syracuse, on the other hand, now they're insufferable.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

St. Bonaventure has an insufferable fanbase?  I really never noticed.

Syracuse, on the other hand, now they're insufferable.

Not sure how Cuse fans (I am one)have a leg to stand on.  Outside of a couple descent tourney runs, they been a bubble team my entire adult life. I'm 47. Almost 30 years of being also rans. The worst powerhouse program in America. 

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not sure how Cuse fans (I am one)have a leg to stand on.  Outside of a couple descent tourney runs, they been a bubble team my entire adult life. I'm 47. Almost 30 years of being also rans. The worst powerhouse program in America.

Which is a byproduct of the dichotomy of Boeheim: possibly the best recruiter in all of college sports & a very average head coach.

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Didn't they win a championship?

Just now, Taro T said:

Which is a byproduct of the dichotomy of Boeheim: possibly the best recruiter in all of college sports & a very average head coach.

You're out of your mind.

He's not the best recruiter in college basketball, not by a long shot.  And all of college sports?!

31 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Didn't they win a championship?

You're out of your mind.

He's not the best recruiter in college basketball, not by a long shot.  And all of college sports?!

A lot of things come into play with this topic. I mean, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, kinda recruit themselves. Cuse not so much. So does Baehime do yoemens work as cuse doesn't get 5 top 20 recruits like those school every year. It's a good discussion. He's a good recruiter, not sure how much better he is than the others.