Player drop offs & inconsistencies under Ruff- here are the stats

Happy Days

Not relevant to your point, but your comment made me curious about hit stats...

Regehr led the Sabres in hits at 172.

Matt Martin led the NHL by far at 374, then Dustin Brown at 293.

Ott rang in at 278, 4th in the NHL.

Foligno laid out 44 in 14 games, which if he had played 82, would've given him 257, good enough for 9th most in the league.

Buffalo finished 29th in the league in total hits with 1512.

Add Ott's hits, subtract Roy's hits, and account for 82 games of Foligno, it gives us a ballpark of about 1968 hits, good enough to be ranked between 9th and 11th in the league. Get ready for a new brand of hockey.

What makes you think Lindy has changed his brand of hockey?

What makes you think Lindy has changed his brand of hockey?

He's done it before, in 1998-2001 The Sabres were in the top 10 of the league every season in road hits. In '98-'99 they were #2.

NOTE: I like to look at road hits because it takes some of the bias out of the very subjective stat of "hits." In each building they get measured differently, so if your building measures them statistically low (like MMA/HSBC/FNC) you'd get lower season long statistics. If your building statistician measures them high (Like the islanders) you'd end up with higher season long statistics. Looking at road games gives a better spread of different stat recorders.

Not relevant to your point, but your comment made me curious about hit stats...

Regehr led the Sabres in hits at 172.

Matt Martin led the NHL by far at 374, then Dustin Brown at 293.

Ott rang in at 278, 4th in the NHL.

Foligno laid out 44 in 14 games, which if he had played 82, would've given him 257, good enough for 9th most in the league.

Buffalo finished 29th in the league in total hits with 1512.

Add Ott's hits, subtract Roy's hits, and account for 82 games of Foligno, it gives us a ballpark of about 1968 hits, good enough to be ranked between 9th and 11th in the league. Get ready for a new brand of hockey.

Ok now those are statistics which I both like and interest me. Theoretical but interesting nonetheless.

NOTE: I like to look at road hits because it takes some of the bias out of the very subjective stat of "hits." In each building they get measured differently, so if your building measures them statistically low (like MMA/HSBC/FNC) you'd get lower season long statistics. If your building statistician measures them high (Like the islanders) you'd end up with higher season long statistics. Looking at road games gives a better spread of different stat recorders.

That is some really sound logic, right there. The only bias that could come in is if the coach plays lines differently with first change/last change. But I really like it, thanks.

This arguement would be much easier to make if the players left here and all went out and became great players. How many have went on to have better careers playing on different teams?

I can think of one, Paille seems to have found his niche in Beantown.

However, as has been pointed out before, he wasn't drafted to be a role player. He had his best statistical years here in Buffalo, but never could establish any consistency. So, he was traded and then, basically, slotted down into a role-playing position. He didn't get better in Boston; they simply decided that his time in Buffalo and there established that he would not be the player that it was originally hoped he would be, then put him in a spot where he could contribute. That really doesn't prove the intended point, as it was not an upward trajectory after leaving Lindy's team.

I do the same. For example, the Rangers are consistently in the top of the league in hits. Is that because they actually hit more or because the guys at MSG count every love tap as a hit? I can't remember if I ever actually checked that or not, but it was certainly in the back of my mind, as I did not remember the Rangers being a heavy-hitting team (this was at the start of this past season, looking at the three previous.)

I do the same. For example, the Rangers are consistently in the top of the league in hits. Is that because they actually hit more or because the guys at MSG count every love tap as a hit? I can't remember if I ever actually checked that or not, but it was certainly in the back of my mind, as I did not remember the Rangers being a heavy-hitting team (this was at the start of this past season, looking at the three previous.)

MSG is notorious not only for over-counting hits, but they also over-count Lundqvist's shots against to pump up his save percentage.

MSG is notorious not only for over-counting hits, but they also over-count Lundqvist's shots against to pump up his save percentage.

To be fair, you can't see squat in there. Or at least you used not be able to, maybe they installed electric lights with the recent renovations.

To be fair, you can't see squat in there. Or at least you used not be able to, maybe they installed electric lights with the recent renovations.

:lol:

Nope, not yet. New lighting is on the way (I think), but as of last season it was the same dim, yellow-ish garbage.

The Aud used to have a rep around the league for "generous" shot counts. No idea if F'n has the same rep.

I can think of one, Paille seems to have found his niche in Beantown. Honorable Mention...Briere had a slow start in Philly but he's an important cog there now...

I would say at best Briere is what he was in Buffalo, not really better, but not worse. Only difference is, the Flyers have some better players with him that he isn't their #1 or #2 guy like he was here. As for Paille, He had a good playoff last year, but otherwise as already said, is just a role player for them. He was drafted high by teh Sabres because they thought he was going to be more then just a physical forward. Hes a 3rd/4th liner in Boston on an already physical team. i wouldn't say his game is better in Boston, more like he benefits now from being on a much better team

Archived