Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

A new thread to discuss all things about the beautiful game.

I'll start with:

Some things never change. Beckham will not be bending it in the next LA Galaxy match. He has been suspended for "provocative behavior", which earned him a yellow card. That warning put him over the magic number and was suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

EDIT: Below is a link to the story.

http://www.bangalore...ehaviour’-.html

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

NS, to follow up on my comment in the other thread, Canada has qualified for a World Cup exactly once. Its national sporting efforts are not soccer-focused, and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be a travesty, though, for Canada to get an automatic berth as a host.

On the other hand, it would be a great host for other reasons.

NS, to follow up on my comment in the other thread, Canada has qualified for a World Cup exactly once. Its national sporting efforts are not soccer-focused, and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be a travesty, though, for Canada to get an automatic berth as a host.

On the other hand, it would be a great host for other reasons.

I understand your point. If Canada were host and, therefore, secured the automatic berth in the final tournament, it would mean that, in all likelihood, a more deserving side from their conference (North America, Central America and the Caribbean) would not qualify. And, that most certainly would be a trevesty.

I understand your point. If Canada were host and, therefore, secured the automatic berth in the final tournament, it would mean that, in all likelihood, a more deserving side from their conference (North America, Central America and the Caribbean) would not qualify. And, that most certainly would be a trevesty.

No more of a travesty than South Korea or South Africa getting automatic berths as host nations, not to mention Poland AND Ukraine taking up two spots in the European Championships.

The real travesty would be that the World Cup would be hosted in a country where there's very little interest in football.

Its not my game but to say there's no interest in soccer in Canada isn't true. The sport is growing. Hosting and competing will make the sport grow all the more.

Hold up; no one said there is no interest.

NS: I'm watching Wimbledon (interesting that when a Scot is in the finals, he's "British"), and technology is working just fine there. Works fantastic in cricket, too. I don't see why goal-line tech is a bad idea for soccer.

Hold up; no one said there is no interest.

Sorry Eleven. My bad, I misread your post. True its national sporting efforts are underfunded but then again with the conservatives and Harper in government all sports are underfunded. They just cut 22 million to services for aboriginal youth and spent 28 million on celebrations, festivities and 'education' for the war of 1812. A different topic but with decisions like that you can understand why sports are underfunded. Many olympic competitors have to raise their own money and work a nine to five job just to be able to compete. They want the glory and national pride that comes with sporting victories on the world stage but don't want to make an investment towards that goal. I certainly won't be making any excuses for these a$$ clowns.

NS: I'm watching Wimbledon (interesting that when a Scot is in the finals, he's "British"), and technology is working just fine there. Works fantastic in cricket, too. I don't see why goal-line tech is a bad idea for soccer.

A member illuded to the main concern in the Euro thread before I broke off this thread.

It's tradition that the ref has the final say and the biggest issue is that goal, or no goal, issues are extremely rare.

I would prefer they address the offside rules and the diving / theatrics in a no-non-sense way first.

No more of a travesty than South Korea or South Africa getting automatic berths as host nations, not to mention Poland AND Ukraine taking up two spots in the European Championships.

The real travesty would be that the World Cup would be hosted in a country where there's very little interest in football.

Soccer / football is the fastest growing sport in Canada. At the grass-roots level there are great systems in place. Instead of parents seeing little Johnny, or Jane, as the next Gretzky, or Lemieux, they are envisioning the next Beckham. Also, the US hosted, would you say the people in the US, in general have a keen interest in football?

It is true, as bun, pointed out that the national team does not get much attention, not from the fans, but from the powers that be. So, the problem is not the fans, or the grass-roots organizations. Canada has a rich tradition of welcoming new comers to the country, many of whom are rabid football fans ... one can see evidence clearly at a Toronto FC match. A problem is on the international level many of these fans continue to support their country of origin teams.

Sorry Eleven. My bad, I misread your post. True its national sporting efforts are underfunded but then again with the conservatives and Harper in government all sports are underfunded. They just cut 22 million to services for aboriginal youth and spent 28 million on celebrations, festivities and 'education' for the war of 1812. A different topic but with decisions like that you can understand why sports are underfunded. Many olympic competitors have to raise their own money and work a nine to five job just to be able to compete. They want the glory and national pride that comes with sporting victories on the world stage but don't want to make an investment towards that goal. I certainly won't be making any excuses for these a$$ clowns.

A lot of governments are cutting back on cultural spending right now.

What I really meant was that Canada's national sporting efforts are directed to hockey and curling (both of which have produced traditions of excellence). It's a smaller country, population-wise, and can't go in every direction at once the way the USA and Russia can. And I don't think Canada has either the sheer numbers or the percentage of children playing soccer that most other countries have. Canada has prioritized other sports over soccer, and that is not a criticism, it's just the way it is.

Soccer / football is the fastest growing sport in Canada. At the grass roots level there are great systems in place. Instead of parents seeing little Johnny, or Jane, as the next Gretzky, or Lemieux, they are envisioning the next Beckham. Also, the US hosted, would you say the people in the US, in general has a keen interest in football?

It is true, as bun, pointed out that the national team does not get much attention, not from the fans, but from the powers that be. So, the problem is not the fans, or the grass-roots organizations. Canada has a rich tradition of welcoming new comers to the country, many of whom are rabid football fans ... one can see evidence clearly at a Toronto FC match. A problem is on the international level many of these fans continue to support their country of origin teams.

That's great that soccer is growing in Canada, but there are scores of countries all over the world where soccer is infinitely more popular that has never been close to hosting a world cup. And yes, the US did host a World Cup, but that was a similar travesty in my opinion.

That's great that soccer is growing in Canada, but there are scores of countries all over the world where soccer is infinitely more popular that has never been close to hosting a world cup. And yes, the US did host a World Cup, but that was a similar travesty in my opinion.

Most of the countries where (1) soccer is very popular, and (2) they're able to pull it off, have hosted, no?

USA was no more an aberration than South Africa or Japan, but if we were hosting it now, instead of 1994, it would be crazy, because of the number of people that played soccer as kids in the 70s and 80s.

The US world cup is still the most attended World Cup of all time. I don't think that record will break, until USA hosts is a second time.

Even labelled as a Brit most people in the UK were rooting for Federer, take that for what you will. The resistance to putting goal line tech in Football is just mind boggling though.

A member illuded to the main concern in the Euro thread before I broke off this thread.

It's tradition that the ref has the final say and the biggest issue is that goal, or no goal, issues are extremely rare.

I would prefer they address the offside rules and the diving / theatrics in a no-non-sense way first.

I agree with this. There are more of those problems than the goal issues. More is made of the goal issues though.

Most of the countries where (1) soccer is very popular, and (2) they're able to pull it off, have hosted, no?

USA was no more an aberration than South Africa or Japan, but if we were hosting it now, instead of 1994, it would be crazy, because of the number of people that played soccer as kids in the 70s and 80s.

Not at all.

At least in South Africa and Japan/South Korea soccer has a reasonable following in the population, not so (still) in the USA. I agree that hosting the WC in South Korea and Japan was a mistake, as will hosting the world cup in Qatar be. It would also be a mistake to host it in Canada or the United Sates. I'd rather see a country like England host the World Cup a second time before it is brought to the US or Canada (and many other countries).

I understand that FIFA is hellbent on spreading the game to as many countries as possible, and that will probably lead to the US hosting the World Cup again within the next two decades, but I would like to see countries that care deeply for soccer host the World Cup rather than the ones that has the greatest financial upside for the corrupt fat cats in FIFA.

Bump ...

In the latest FIFA rankings the USA Women's side is again ranked #1 in the world.

Canada is hosting (and with being host receive an automatic birth in the tournament) the Women's World Cup next year.

Could a USA title be on the horizon? Revenge for their loss, on penalties, to Japan in the final 4 years ago would be sweet.

=====

EDIT: Sorry, Canada is hosting the next tournament in 2015, not next year. And the US team lost to Japan in 2011, not 4 years ago.

:oops:

My favorite football club takes the pitch tomorrow, in the city of Durban, South Africa. Manchester United first game of the preseason against Amazulu FC. 2pm kickoff on Fox Soccer Channel. Can't wait. It's a watered down (and youthful) squad United is taking with them on this tour, but still excited to see the Reds in action.

My footballing vacation is officially over with matches starting to begin!

Since my team in germany was relegated last year, the start of the season is close for us. Can't wait for it :)

Ouch, sorry!

Bah, that's nothing! My favorite team went bankrupt a couple years ago and got relegated down to the 7th level of the league. Weird when your favorite team and one of the most storied franchises in the land plays in essentially a beer league. It's been great for our record though. Since it happened we've tied one game and won everything else.

Bah, that's nothing! My favorite team went bankrupt a couple years ago and got relegated down to the 7th level of the league. Weird when your favorite team and one of the most storied franchises in the land plays in essentially a beer league. It's been great for our record though. Since it happened we've tied one game and won everything else.

What's the process for moving back up? I assume you been champions each year since?

K-town? If so, I feel your pain.

No it's Hertha BSC. If I remember correctly, Germany is the only country in europe (or major country in europe) that doesnt have a team from the capital city in their highest league. But we will be back!