Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

When to the Lost 80’s Live show at Chastain Park in Atlanta last night.  7 bands playing 3-5 song sets.  Berlin, Naked Eyes, Flock of Seagulls, Wang Chung, Animotion, When In Rome and Nu Shooz.

Teri Nunn looked and sounded great.  Wang Chung is still alot of fun.  The lead of Flock of Seagulls is bald, but the band was good.  Everyone else was OK. Good show, but I wished Berlin and the Flock got longer sets. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When to the Lost 80’s Live show at Chastain Park in Atlanta last night.  7 bands playing 3-5 song sets.  Berlin, Naked Eyes, Flock of Seagulls, Wang Chung, Animotion, When In Rome and Nu Shooz.

Teri Nunn looked and sounded great.  Wang Chung is still alot of fun.  The lead of Flock of Seagulls is bald, but the band was good.  Everyone else was OK. Good show, but I wished Berlin and the Flock got longer sets. Oh well.

That Flock dude is bald.  Man, he used to have very 'big' hair.

Sounds like a fun show.

Anthrax/Lamb of God/Slayer were awesome Friday night. I survived a few pits, and only came out kinda sore and with a perfect boot bruise imprint on my a$$. Still not totally sure how that happened... there was definitely some tumbling though. Kindest pit ever- no intentional violence, and if anyone fell, the whole pit would stop and help 'em up. Made for a good time. 

We'll be at the Rob Zombie show Sunday.  I couldn't care less about Marilyn Manson, but I guess it could be entertaining if he has a total meltdown on stage.

26 minutes ago, josie said:

Anthrax/Lamb of God/Slayer were awesome Friday night. I survived a few pits, and only came out kinda sore and with a perfect boot bruise imprint on my a$$. Still not totally sure how that happened... there was definitely some tumbling though. Kindest pit ever- no intentional violence, and if anyone fell, the whole pit would stop and help 'em up. Made for a good time. 

We'll be at the Rob Zombie show Sunday.  I couldn't care less about Marilyn Manson, but I guess it could be entertaining if he has a total meltdown on stage.

I did miss the show.  My son gave my ticket to his GF.  He hoped she'd at least enjoy the general bizarreness of a thrash metal show.  Nope.  She was miserable.  I wish I could have made it.  Especially being a farewell tour and all.  I'm jealous of you guys that got to see them one last time.

51 minutes ago, josie said:

Pics, or it didn't happen ... (insert winkie thingie here)

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I did miss the show.  My son gave my ticket to his GF.  He hoped she'd at least enjoy the general bizarreness of a thrash metal show.  Nope.  She was miserable.  I wish I could have made it.  Especially being a farewell tour and all.  I'm jealous of you guys that got to see them one last time.

I'm sorry to hear that. We kinda figured that's what happened- we kept a look out for you just in case.

Yeah there were definitely a few less than enthused gf's at that show... but honestly, I think metal shows are some of the happiest places on earth- everyone's just so glad to be surrounded by other weirdos all nerding out together over a more niche genre. I saw so many happy hop-skip-running and bro hugging metal dudes... all ages and levels of depravity. No one's trying to expose anyone else as posers or putting down any of the bands because if you're there for one of those bands, chances are you dig or respect the others too. You don't go to see that lineup if you're not into it. I expect more b.s. and a$$holery at the Zombie show next weekend. 

53 minutes ago, N S said:

Pics, or it didn't happen ... (insert winkie thingie here)

Just imagine a black and blue galaxy bruise with a slight boot tread pattern to it on a pasty not-that-attractive a$ cheek and you've got it.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, josie said:

I was never a big fan of Manson growing up in my teens or 20's, but he puts on a good show when he isn't having a meltdown and he's got some gnarly songs. I've seen a couple of their shows because they happened to be playing with Slayer and I was glad I got to see them because before that I would have never paid money to see a Manson show. I would pony up now though.

Plus whenever Manson is playing the people watching factor ramps up 10 fold.

4 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

I was never a big fan of Manson growing up in my teens or 20's, but he puts on a good show when he isn't having a meltdown and he's got some gnarly songs. I've seen a couple of their shows because they happened to be playing with Slayer and I was glad I got to see them because before that I would have never paid money to see a Manson show. I would pony up now though.

Plus whenever Manson is playing the people watching factor ramps up 10 fold.

Glad to hear a (semi?) positive review for a change. I've only ever heard "HE SUCKS IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY" or super fangirl "omg he touched my butt in the meet n greet" (this girl's nutso bout him) and no in between.

But to the bolded... hell yeah. My favorite part. 

My fav denizen of the dirt from the Slayer show was this guy we lovingly called Mountain. I mean, there were plenty of skullets and bad neck tattoos and poorly clothed middle aged women, but this guy was like.. 6'8", 400 pounds and just... practically bathing in beer. Just dumping 24's down his gullet, his beard a shimmering moss covered rockwall dripping Bud Light onto the heads of those below... He'd enter the pit and the whole thing would just orbit around his mass. He was wearing brown which made him not unlike a grizzly, wading upstream into a surging river of stringy, drunk long hairs...  It was something to see haha 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, josie said:

...dumping 24's down his gullet, his beard a shimmering moss covered rockwall dripping Bud Light onto the heads of those below...

The writing in this place is so often exquisite...?

Edited by dudacek

Saw Manson and Rob Zombie last night.

Manson actually seemed to have fun- I'm not a fan, but his fans were having a great time and he wasn't as bad as I was expecting him to be. Zombie was a lot of fun- good use of movie screens and giant puppets. My coworker was there and said it's pretty much the same show he's done for a few years now- but it was still good. Manson and Zombie sang Helter Skelter together in front of screens showing snippets from docs about the Manson family. It was neat but I had this kinda weird thought- Manson family had a mystique/cult thing about them, making them unique, but I wonder if hard rock bands in the future are going to show footage of dudes like Dylan Klebold/Eric Harris, the Aurora shooter, etc. ... ?

Oh yeah- Zombie called out all the a$$holes on their phones, not that it helped, unfortunately. We were pretty much against the rail in the lawn and I could hardly see for all the idiots filming the damn thing. LIke, are you seriously going to watch that sh!t quality, shaky, crappy vid later? I understand a few pics, some short vids here and there- but just the whole damn thing? Put it down. Fuc*in' A I wish there was a good way to ban doing that at shows. 

1 hour ago, josie said:

Manson and Zombie sang Helter Skelter together in front of screens showing snippets from docs about the Manson family. It was neat but I had this kinda weird thought- Manson family had a mystique/cult thing about them, making them unique, but I wonder if hard rock bands in the future are going to show footage of dudes like Dylan Klebold/Eric Harris, the Aurora shooter, etc. ... ?

That's an interesting observation.

I can't imagine that the sorts of infamous killers you've identified above would ever become grist for the mill like, say, the Mansons have become. But, given the passage of time, who knows. In recent years, I've noticed that snarky jokes with a 9/11 theme are becoming more and more commonplace -- I still stop short when I hear them. 

I also don't think that any of the mass shooters of modern times resemble Manson, or Jim Jones, or other similar cult leaders, in terms of how they went about doing what they did. Do you think there are points of resemblance there?

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can't imagine that the sorts of infamous killers you've identified above would ever become grist for the mill like, say, the Mansons have become. But, given the passage of time, who knows. In recent years, I've noticed that snarky jokes with a 9/11 theme are becoming more and more commonplace -- I still stop short when I hear them. 

I also don't think that any of the mass shooters of modern times resemble Manson, or Jim Jones, or other similar cult leaders, in terms of how they went about doing what they did. Do you think there are points of resemblance there?

Not sure what to think about that since, IMO, none of the more recent 'events' resemble a cult like 'thing'.  Perhaps something like Waco, or Ruby Ridge, maybe even Oklahoma City are more likely to inspire some band, or other, to do something similar to what josie described.

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

not especially, not in the same way- I recognize the Family was a group of people, living together, feeding off each other, and have become a pop culture touchstone to the end of the summer of love, etc. But believe me, there's an unsettling amount of people who follow/have obsession with/in some cases nearly worship some of these shooters- especially the Columbine duo. And I'm using the shooters as one example in this case.

Metal/hard rock exists in some part to poke at/unravel societal norms. Now, I totally get that Zombie/Manson aren't out here deifying The Family, and I would maybe understand the thinking behind a controversial/edgy band playing 9/11 footage or interviews with teh Aurora shooting guy behind their set for a a similar another decade or two from now- content/context would be important here (if you're playing Dylan Roof footage and your music is somewhat pro-white supremacy...well... whole other can of worms). Someone like my mom, however, would find the Manson footage just as disgusting as I would find seeing Elliott Rogers/other f*cked up perpetrators of violence up there. That sh!t was very real to her, and she's precisely the target to "bother" with it.  It's a line that hasn't been crossed yet, but I guess it came to mind because Manson in particular has had the Censory boards after him in part due to Columbine, and was somewhat (and wrongly/stupidly) blamed for inspiring those kids. Him and Rammstein, the Matrix, and video games. He sometimes includes guns and that whole look into his shows- partly because he always has, partly because he's subverting that association. 

Further thought- Manson and co were a cult. But one could argue that there is an online cult for these dudes I'm mentioning- several of them were certainly MRA participants- and I could see a band playing those images with some song about toxic masculinity or something. 

I dunno. Food for thought, really. It would be a hell of a line to cross, but there was still a part of me that was kinda grossed out by the song closing out on beauty shots of Sharon Tate. Kid near me said to his friend when the Family members were being listed something like "dude they're so awesome". I know some people who genuinely admire Charles Manson, too. Guess that's what sparked it. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Willie Nelson's Outlaw Music Festival in Hershey this past weekend. Didn't see Particle Kid who went first, although I learned later that is the band for WIllie's younger son (not Lukas).  I was in the 8th row center stage so got a pretty good view of what was going on in terms of facial expressions, what was happening just off stage, etc. 

Lukas Nelson & The Promise of the Real were quite good. Better than I expected. They were having fun and showed a lot of range in song selection. Nelson knows how to communicate with the crowd both singing and talking. 

Sturgill Simpson was good, but quite different than I expected. I knew he had an edge for country music but in concert it wasn't really country at all. No steel guitar, just straight ahead, quite loud, rock. With the keyboard player cranking away on every song they almost sounded a bit like late 1970's Boston playing "Smokin"  or" Rock and Roll Band"  except they were a jam band as well, going onto riffs for 10-12 minutes. Not at all what I expected from listening to his albums.!But they were very good too.  No dialogue with the crowd other than to say thank you to applause occasionally - they were playing for themselves and we were just listening.  Still, they worked hard and clearly had fun. 

Tedeschi Trucks Band just killed it. Really on their game - a band in their prime, a 13 piece music machine, whatever you want to call them.  Saw them 3 times this summer, which wasn't enough for me. :-)

Van Morrison - very interesting show. I was glad I got to see The Man. His accompanying 8 piece band were clearly employees. Excellent musicians who had to be ready at a moment's notice for changes called by Van (via his band leader, the key board player or directly) including deciding which song to play and then launching into it two seconds later. You could see the tension on their faces as they watched and waited for direction as they played. Van can't sing like he used to of course (he's 73) but can still get it done and play a mean Sax, harmonica, and guitar. He didn't address the crowd except to say "Let's hear it for the band" twice at the end of the show. Played most of the big hits and some deeper cuts too. 

Willie - into his 80's the voice is weakening and the guitar playing isn't as crisp as it once was, but his personality and songs are as great as ever. His sister Bobbie played piano quite well even though she had to be helped to it. Drummer Paul English looks like he might have had a stroke at some point or just the signs of age but in fact Willie's younger son played drums and Paul just hand clapped. I got the sense he's there as long as he's vertical based on Willie's loyalty. Lukas Nelson does a nice job of playing electric guitar and singing a song or two and harmonies.  Mickey Raphael can still play the harmonica just fine. A fine ending had Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks join the band for "Will the Circle Be Unbroken / I'll Fly Away". 

Catch Willie live while you still can. A Living Legend. 

This past weekend in Corning saw David Grisman Dawg Trio at the Museum Auditorium. Danny Barnes on guitar and banjo and Sam Grisman on bass. 

If Bluegrass with some folk and a little jazz thrown in is your thing, they’re a great act to catch. Grisman remains stellar on the mandolin of course.

i shook his hand after the show and his hands are tiny! Makes sense the way he plays that instrument.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Bloomsburg Fair last night to see Cole Swindell. Fun fact, the Bloomsburg Fair doesn't serve alcohol, even at it's concerts. Didn't hear a single song. Date night turned into let's head to a hole in the wall bar, play the juke box and some pool. Better than a concert with zero booze. Also better than hanging out with all the highschool freshmen that were in the pit around the stage. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...