Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

I stopped attending big concerts about 20 years ago. Still hit bar-sized concerts and free outdoor shows, but I just figured my big concert days were behind me. And then a funny thing seemed to have happened. My son got interested in music and is old enough to attend some shows. And for the most part he listens to music that I can really dig. I got my feet wet again last Summer at Artpark but the real fun came when my (then) 13 yr old son started begging me to let him go to the Uproar Festival at Darien Lake last August. Eventually I relented on the condition that I go as well. For the most part the bands weren't bands I would ordinarily listen to but the headliners especially weren't bad, and since I am a reformed (sort of) metal head the last two bands in particular were pretty damned enjoyable.

So this year the kid is already begging me to go to a concert with him, and frankly, I was looking forward to the Summer's concert schedule for my own enjoyment. Looks like a pretty fair concert season coming. This is my concert plan for the coming year;

June 29 Buffalo Place- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals This band puts on a great show. They have a fantastic old school rock vibe to them. And Grace Potter is darned nice to look at too. If you are not familiar, look them up on youtube. Fantastic rock performers.

Darien Lake- Allman Brothers and Carlos Santana Taking the wife to see this one. Two of my favorites from the bluesy end of rock.

Darien Lake- Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper Re-living my junior year in high school. LOL Actually, I won't be buying tix to this show. I'll be a volunteer. I am involved with one of the not-for-profits that man the beer kiosks at the venue. I'm already signed up to dish out $12 Bud Lights to the head banging masses. I won't get a look at the stage most likely but I'll be able to listen to the show. \nn/

Darien Lake- Slipknot/Slayer/Motorhead/Anthrax This is the show my kid is bugging me about. Yeah, we're gonna go. I've never seen Motorhead or Slayer in concert so I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure my ears will be bleeding by the time the show ends. And 3 out of 4 of those bands are up my alley.

First Niagara Center- Rush Now this one *will* have me re-living my junior year in high school. Going with a longtime friend. I can't wait until October.

Anyone else ready for Summer concert season?

Kiss and Motley Crue, haven't decided where yet

Also, the finace is bugging me about a Brad Paisley concert, and maybe a Jason Aldean one as well, so we'll probably hit those.

And I'll probably make a trip to see Alice In Chains somewhere

But first it's Columbus, Ohio for a little Rock on the Range! Shinedown, Megadeath, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, and about 40 others, cant wait for this one.

Like some others, I really don't like big shows, but I saw Springsteen from the pit at F'N C a couple of weeks ago, and just learned that I may be seeing him at Wrigley in September.

I'll plan on some of the shows at the harbor this summer.

What kind of music do you enjoy?

What I like and what I would go see are a different list, so I'll just go with what I have seen in the past:

-Pearl Jam

-Soundgarden (recent reunion)

-Alice in Chains (the post-Layne version unfortunately)

-Rush

-Live and Collective Soul (decent show but probably wouldn't have gone if others weren't)

-Stone Temple Pilots

I guess at this point, I'm waiting until the next american tour for Pearl Jam.

I'll be catching the Rush show as well, probably in Charlotte because they wont be coming to Raleigh.

In July, my wife and some neighbors are attending a concert at the new outdoor venue in downtown Raleigh. It works out well since there will be a band for everyone. BNL headlines, and my wife's a huge fan. Blues Traveler, a few of my neighbors are really into them, and I like some early stuff of theirs. Big Head Todd and the Monsters are one of my favorite bands, just a fantastic live act. Cracker,ok I don't think anyone is going specifically to see Cracker, although I've heard they are quite good.

And next week..May 10th in Myrtle Beach at the House Of Blues. Steel Panther. I'm really excited for this show. 80's hair metal at it's finest. Myself and a couple of other 40-somethings will be road tripping it down for the show. I'm sure I'll feel like I'm 18 again and hitting the road to a GnR show.

HA! They're playing here in Charlotte as well, and Cracker is the only reason I'm going.

Nice. I see they move to Charlotte the next day. My first Big Head Todd / Blues Traveler show was back in 1994 for the HORDE festival in Darien Lake, we arrived at the show very early when the largely unknown bands were playing. On the main stage we sat down amongst the rows and rows of empty seats to take in this band with a fiddle player, saxophonist and geeky looking singer. I enjoyed their set a lot, so I turned and asked a guy near me who the band was.. "Dave something Band" is what he said. In about six months the Dave Matthews Band would become one of the biggest bands in the world. I always use that story on my wife as the reason why you never skip the opening act.

I used to really like BNL too, I remember seeing them at the Icon downtown before their first album came out, improving songs about Tom Jolls and Irv Weinstein. Good stuff. They kind of lost me though when they hit it big with that song one week.

Saw Prong and Crowbar in a really small venue two weeks ago (great show).

Saw Van Halen at Bridgestone Arena last week. And, as some of you pointed out above, it reminded me of why I don't like the giant arena shows. I was basically watching them on a television screen from afar, it was miserably hot in the arena, the band just kind of stood there and didn't really have much of a stage show or the sort of stage presence I remember them having years ago. And, I couldn't quite figure out what the heck David Lee Roth was talking about!

Upcoming shows: I'll see my neighbor and fellow dog lover Emmylou Harris perform at Ryman Auditorium this month and will see the Dirty Dozen Brass Band in June.

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band at the Tralf, June 26th.

yup

June 29 Buffalo Place- Grace Potter and the Nocturnals This band puts on a great show. They have a fantastic old school rock vibe to them. And Grace Potter is darned nice to look at too. If you are not familiar, look them up on youtube. Fantastic rock performers.

yup

after that, every Thursday [not] in the Square possible, and we'll see what pops up.

Tomorrow is Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, P.O.D., Slash and a couple of others at the Lunatic Luau in Va Bch.

On the 19th is Nugent, Styx, and REO. Yeah, my girl's excited for that one. And while I'm not really dreading it, it'd be a much cooler show if this was 1983.

Tomorrow is Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, P.O.D., Slash and a couple of others at the Lunatic Luau in Va Bch.

My kid is complaining that he wants to see Shinedown later this Summer.

On the 19th is Nugent, Styx, and REO. Yeah, my girl's excited for that one. And while I'm not really dreading it, it'd be a much cooler show if this was 1983.

I saw Uncle Ted last Summer. He still puts on a high energy set and can melt a guitar even today but be prepared to be offended if your politics aren't in line with his. His shows resemble Tea Party revivals between songs. Wear a thick skin and chalk it up as the kind of entertainment like your old uncle Tony provides at holiday dinners and you'll have a blast.

Excellent.

amazing man. 78 years old, poet/musician . Thing is he not a old guy trying to be young. He is just himself, his appeal not to just the older generation , but to young and old alike. Looking much forward to this, never thought the opportunity with come again.