[Game Day] Senators @ Sabres 8:00PM

SabresBeat

Someone help me out here. How does a review in hockey work exactly? Does it take INDISPUTABLE evidence to show that the the REFS call was wrong (like in football)? Or do they just make a call on what they see on the replay? We could use a break tonight by the way... Hope this gets us a little pissed off.

And as I write this we give up a goal...........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Just... crap.

Someone help me out here. How does a review in hockey work exactly? Does it take INDISPUTABLE evidence to show that the the REFS call was wrong (like in football)? Or do they just make a call on what they see on the replay? We could use a break tonight by the way... Hope this gets us a little pissed off.

And as I write this we give up a goal...........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Just... crap.

it better get us alot pissed off... there better be boston players lieing all over the ice when we play the bruins next... i want this team to be furious... based on the way emery is playing this game is over.... done and done... time to look forward and see if we can beat our whipping boys the bruins... there always good for a win...

well im done listening to this stupid game it was pointless to get fired up about it in the first place, until someone injures one of there key players its useless, wheres kasparitis when you need him?.... good night all...

OK, OK, settle down. This team is allowed to have some losing streaks, for christs sake they have been on fire the whole damn season.

Ottawa sucks! I was just at happy hour with a guy who smiled and showed me his blackberry with the score when he found out i was from bflo. he is fomr ottawa. but we are in LA. i soulda bitched slapped him.

well im done listening to this stupid game it was pointless to get fired up about it in the first place, until someone injures one of there key players its useless, wheres kasparitis when you need him?.... good night all...

well, i got 2/3 of the game tonight (fighting with my wife during the 2nd) and from what I saw it did not seem like they played that bad? it is still not a W, i realize that. once again to me, we just don't quite have the experience yet. it takes a lot to make it througha whole season wining one-goal games and getting all the breaks, and we seemed to get them earlier in the year.

the rangers just got over a 5 game losing streak, so nothing says we can not do it but, i don't knwo everyone seems to think that everything we do now is wrong, even though it is what got us here...

I'm about ready to take my softball bat out and take it to my tv, then my computer, then my neighbors dog, then my playstation 2, then my neighbors stereo (maybe I'll just take out my neighbor), then my fridge... no not the fridge, that's where the beer is.

I don't mind losing when you leave your heart out on the floor, or ice, or field, or whatever, but I don't like losing like chumps. It's time for somebody to step up and throw some chairs around a lockerroom or something. I want doors ripped off hinges and lockers destroyed and coaches right up in the face of some sabres players. I want to see some fire out of someone. We're too close to the end of the season for our confidence to be all shot to hell. It's time to get PISSED OFF, get back to business, and storm into the playoffs like a bunch of RAVING LUNATICS... not like the team I've seen over the last week. I'm not throwing in any towel or being a fair weather fan here, I'm just a little frustrated.

GET PISSED SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-

Go Tigers.

The NHL vice president tells WGR Radio that the puck was "conclusively" on the line. As I type this, a caller makes the perfect point: if it was conclusive, how did the review take over 5 minutes? It was inconclusive. Period. Maybe a little more likely it was touching the line than not touching it, but still...

Honestly, what else would you expect from the NHL? A skunk can't change its stripes.

As for the game, just too many passes. That stuck out for me. And Ray Emery outplaying Ryan Miller is very troubling. Again, please, someone reassure me that this is not the way this team has played most of the year.

It was great seeing them again after two years, though. When that game came on, I was like Andy Dufresne emerging from the sewer pipe in "The Shawshank Redemption." Air. Water. A clean change of clothes. The Sabres on TV. What more do you need in life?

The Sabres on TV. What more do you need in life?

How 'bout the Sabres on TV, WINNING A FRIGGIN GAME, GDAMMIT!!!!!

I'm just a little frustrated.

GET PISSED SABRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS-

Go Tigers.

Just a little frustrated? I'd say so. I think you're frustrated enough for a 3-State killing spree.

I've posted here about this one before and will give the Reader's Digest version now. Technically (and it covers several rules in the book), if there is not conclusive evidence to overrule the Referee, the call on the ice should stand.

The fact it took over 5 minutes to make the determination indicates that once again, the NHL did not follow its own rules.

PS. In one of your later posts you have "Go Sabres"; having lived in "Red Stick", I think you should stick with "Geaux Sabres". Lassiez le bon temps roullez.

Anyway, what a nice goal by Briere. Such basic hockey. Point shot low and on goal. A player in front screening the goalie and deflecting the shot. A teammate crashing the net, keeping his stick on the ice and scoring. So simple. I didn't see a lot of simple plays tonight.

Dave B...

Yeah, I'm trying to stick with the Geaux, but I was in a hurry earlier. I'm cheating a little, I'm actually from North Louisiana, not exactly cajun territory, but... whatever.

Thanks for the info. Obviously another bad call. Regardless of whether the puck was in, the ref called it in. Upon review was there evidence to overturn the call? No.

GEAUX Sabres!

Dave B...

Yeah, I'm trying to stick with the Geaux, but I was in a hurry earlier. I'm cheating a little, I'm actually from North Louisiana, not exactly cajun territory, but... whatever.

Thanks for the info. Obviously another bad call. Regardless of whether the puck was in, the ref called it in. Upon review was there evidence to overturn the call? No.

GEAUX Sabres!

NORTH LOUISIANA!, Heck, anyone living north of I-12, is a gosh darn Yankee! ;)

Random points on random posts, and otherwise:

1) I was at the game, so I didn't get the benefit of many replays on the goal that was called back. But if Ruff, after the game, acknowledges it wasn't a goal (he so stated on WGR), that's good enough for me.

2) The refs actually followed their protocol on that call and phoned Toronto. That's the deal in the NHL; like the result or not, they followed the rules.

3) There was no lack of spirit, heart, etc. tonight, with the exception of a brief stretch in the first, just after Ottawa went up 2-0. It's natural to slightly deflate at that point, but the boys came back.

4) It was fun watching the chase with Ottawa for first, but lost in the excitement was this: While the Sabres are a very good and very exciting team, Ottawa is the best team the league has seen in some time. Yes, even without Chara (who hopefully graces our blueline next season). A whipping by Atlanta bothers me much more than a 3-1 loss to the Sens. The Sabres might go all the way, they may not, but if they fail to get past Ottawa in the playoffs, I'm not going to cry about it.

5) That said, sometimes games turn on breaks, and I don't mean those breaks that the zebras create. How many passes jumped over Sabre sticks tonight due to unlucky bounces (even early in a period on supposedly smooth ice)? How many posts did Buffalo hit? It was an unlucky game, but a well-played game against a better opponent who got the breaks.

6) I like Miller, but Hasek stops at least one if not both of those first two goals (if he's healthy). Yes, I know they weren't "his fault." Just sayin'.

7) When does Kalinin get back from injury? There's some guy in his sweater out on the ice, but who is it?

8) Mike Grier is one of my favorite players on this team (see my ridiculed post from three weeks ago re: he should be considered for the Selke). But someone needs to remove the concrete from his skates before important games.

The NHL vice president tells WGR Radio that the puck was "conclusively" on the line. As I type this, a caller makes the perfect point: if it was conclusive, how did the review take over 5 minutes? It was inconclusive. Period. Maybe a little more likely it was touching the line than not touching it, but still...

Honestly, what else would you expect from the NHL? A skunk can't change its stripes.

1) I was at the game, so I didn't get the benefit of many replays on the goal that was called back. But if Ruff, after the game, acknowledges it wasn't a goal (he so stated on WGR), that's good enough for me.

2) The refs actually followed their protocol on that call and phoned Toronto. That's the deal in the NHL; like the result or not, they followed the rules.

I don't care if they follow the HNL protocol to call Toronto, a 5-minute review is too long. You can always find a excuse if you keep looking for it.

The puck was rolling and doing a dance before finally landing flat on the ice possibly touching the goal line. Now can anyone tell me if the puck EVER cross the goal line BEFORE it laying on the ice flat? I definetly think so. I think they ruled it a goal based on the time when the puck ws completely flat on the ice.

Since it was already very close when it finally stays flat, simple geometry should tell you that the puck has crossed the line while most of the puck still was in the air. Based on this, I think all replay angles were inconculsive, therefore GOAL.

Eleven, Ottawa doesn't jump out at me as this unbeatable machine. Add Havlat, Hasek and Chara... maybe they are. And maybe they have different gears and needed only first gear to beat the Sabres last night. But I thought except for the period of time when the Sens scored their goals and for a while after that, the two teams looked pretty even.

Sweet open-ice hit by Kalinin on that Sens' defenseman who cut to the middle on him. Maybe that's the kind of play that will help push Kalinin's game back to the top again?

It was great seeing them again after two years, though. When that game came on, I was like Andy Dufresne emerging from the sewer pipe in "The Shawshank Redemption." Air. Water. A clean change of clothes. The Sabres on TV. What more do you need in life?

Welcome back to the world! I guess most of us were the same way when the season first started with that Islanders game. A whole year off! I'll say this. Watching the Sabres on a losing streak is better than not watching them at all :ph34r: